ADVERTISEMENT

Most Impactful Power Forward in 2021-22

Who will be the most impactful power forward in 2021-22?

• Julian Champagne, St.John's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jaime Jaquez, UCLA

• Matthew Mayer, Baylor

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Who will be the most impactful 4 in college basketball?

This is a very strong group. Guerrier and Garcia are both transfers. Chet Holmgren was the #1 recruit (RSCI), while Paolo Banchero was #3 and Jabari Smith was #4. Here are the 2021 stats for the 7 returning top 10 candidates.

2022-Power-Forwards.png

Lots and lots of quality guys aren't in my top 10. This position is deep. Ron Harper (Rutgers) and Patrick Baldwin (Milwaukee) are my first two that were left off. Rest of the Honorable Mentions: Jayden Gardner (Virginia), Jalen Wilson (Kansas), Kevin Obanor (Texas Tech), Azuolas Tubelis (Arizona), Marcus Bagley (Arizona State), Garrison Brooks (Miss. State), Zach Freemantle (Xavier), Emanuel Miller (TCU), David Roddy (Colorado State), Darius Days (LSU), Isaiah Mobley (USC), Nate Laszewski (Notre Dame), Dylan Disu (Texas), Au'Diese Toney (Arkansas).

This group is more talented than the other 3 positions you've done so far in my opinion. I went with Liddell.

Reactions: dukedevilz
This group is more talented than the other 3 positions you've done so far in my opinion. I went with Liddell.

Yep. The talent pool certainly isn't evenly distributed. The small forward position was especially underwhelming. And there are a lot more quality bigs returning than guards.

Yep. The talent pool certainly isn't evenly distributed. The small forward position was especially underwhelming. And there are a lot more quality bigs returning than guards.

yea I've actually heard of 6 of these guys.

But my vote is always going to Chet. I've been on the Chetwagon since last fall.

Reactions: dukedevilz
No Brooks? Think he could have a huge year. Maybe not most impactful, but perhaps a spot on the honorable mentions at least.

My pick was Banchero

Probably not a huge difference between him and some of the other honorable mentions. Just not sure if his usage is going to increase with all of the transfers and freshmen joining the rotation.

yea I've actually heard of 6 of these guys.

But my vote is always going to Chet. I've been on the Chetwagon since last fall.

Will be excited to watch him play. Unbelievable skill set. Gonzaga really lacked a rim protector last season, so that could be huge. A legit NPOY candidate, IMO.

Brooks not even a HM for shame. Voted Chet because a 7 footer that weighs about 100 pounds soaking wet destroying college basketball next year will be hilarious.

Everything I've seen of that dude makes me believe he's the best prospect since Zion. So getting owned by him isn't a bad thing lol.
I think the biggest concern about Victor is his size. Is he too tall? Has anyone with that frame succeeded long term in the NBA? Look at all the issues Porzingus is having in the last several years.

Everything I've seen of that dude makes me believe he's the best prospect since Zion. So getting owned by him isn't a bad thing lol.

He's oozing with talent. For reals, probably the best young prospect in the world right now. 7'9 reach, decent outside game, quick feet, lateral agility, ridiculous rim protector. He could average close to 7 blocks a game in the college ranks. Don't even think I'm exaggerating.

Duke boosters need to pony up and get this guy a 1 year deal.

Reactions: Villian07
I think the biggest concern about Victor is his size. Is he too tall? Has anyone with that frame succeeded long term in the NBA? Look at all the issues Porzingus is having in the last several years.

It's a legit question. He's even more wiry than Chet. But the NBA has gotten smaller and there aren't that many bangers around.

He's oozing with talent. For reals, probably the best young prospect in the world right now. 7'9 reach, decent outside game, quick feet, lateral agility, ridiculous rim protector. He could average close to 7 blocks a game in the college ranks. Don't even think I'm exaggerating.

Duke boosters need to pony up and get this guy a 1 year deal.

Idk about 7 blocks a game, AD didn't even average that. But he is the same type of player that would completely change offensive gameplans. Seems a lot more skilled offensively too.

It's a legit question. He's even more wiry than Chet. But the NBA has gotten smaller and there aren't that many bangers around.

Idk about 7 blocks a game, AD didn't even average that. But he is the same type of player that would completely change offensive gameplans. Seems a lot more skilled offensively too.

I don't think banging is the issue so much as just the wear and tear of having to move and make cuts 3 hours per day at that size.

At the U19 World Championships, he averaged 5.7 blocks in 22.5 minutes a game. Over 30 minutes, that would translate to 7.6 blocks per game, or 10.1 blocks per 40 minutes. I think he'll be a better rim protector than AD, personally (he's got 3-4 inches on AD's wingspan). He has the potential to be one of the all-time great shot blockers.

Chet Holmgren has a semi-comfortable lead.

Based on the votes for each of the positions, our top pg, sg, sf, and pf are the following:

PG: Remy Martin, Kansas, 28.8% of the votes
SG: Jaden Ivey, Purdue, 48.6% of the votes
SF: Emoni Bates, Memphis, 23.8% of the votes
PF: Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga, 38.9% of the votes

Johnny Juzang does have 37.1% of the votes, so if we did the top 5 vote getters, might bump Emoni Bates off in favor of him.

I'll release a poll with the most impactful centers tomorrow. Should be a competitive one, lots of All-American candidates.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
He was MVP, but wasn't he completely outplayed by the big Frenchie?

Yeah, I'd say that's accurate. Victor Wembanyama is a beast. Could be the #1 pick in the 2023 draft.

VW definitely played better in their game against each other. Over the course of the tournament, though? No. Chet was considerably more efficient throughout the tournament. On a per shot basis Holmgren would've averaged 19.9 points on 11.9 shots. More usage means less efficiency though so let's conservatively say he probably scores 18-19 ppg on that number of attempts.

Fiba U19 tournament stats:

Chet:
7 games
21.4 minutes per game
11.9 points (7.1 shots per game)
6.6 rebounds
3.3 assists
2.7 blocks
62.0% from the field
53.8% from three (7 of 13)

VW:
7 games
22.5 minutes per game
14.0 points (11.9 shots per game)
7.4 rebounds
1.4 assists
5.7 blocks
45.8% from the field
18.2% from three (4 of 22)

Looks like he's playing more of 2 or 3 than a 4. Has AD skills but not as athletic. I sincerely doubt he'll play a 4.

At the college level? He can easily play the 4. He may not be as athletic as AD but he is really athletic. He is possibly the best shot blocker in the class.

VW definitely played better in their game against each other. Over the course of the tournament, though? No. Chet was considerably more efficient throughout the tournament. On a per shot basis Holmgren would've averaged 19.9 points on 11.9 shots. More usage means less efficiency though so let's conservatively say he probably scores 18-19 ppg on that number of attempts.

Fiba U19 tournament stats:

Chet:
7 games
21.4 minutes per game
11.9 points (7.1 shots per game)
6.6 rebounds
3.3 assists
2.7 blocks
62.0% from the field
53.8% from three (7 of 13)

VW:
7 games
22.5 minutes per game
14.0 points (11.9 shots per game)
7.4 rebounds
1.4 assists
5.7 blocks
45.8% from the field
18.2% from three (4 of 22)

And that's why Chet was the MVP. More than likely CH will be #1 pick in the 2022 draft, and VW will be the #1 pick in the 2023 draft.

And that's why Chet was the MVP. More than likely CH will be #1 pick in the 2022 draft, and VW will be the #1 pick in the 2023 draft.

Just saying he wasn't outplayed over the course of the tournament. He was deserving of the award.

I feel like jalyn withers wil be worthy of an hm spot by the end of the season. Getting to move back to the 4 will be great for him imo(biased)

Chet will play more minutes at the 5 than at the 3 next year at Gonzaga.
In the u19 he seemed to be playing on the perimeter a lot. So you think the Zags are going to stuff him around the basket with his skills. He's a matchup nightmare. It may say PF on the roster, but he's going to be utilized much more and in different ways than a PF.

In the u19 he seemed to be playing on the perimeter a lot. So you think the Zags are going to stuff him around the basket with his skills. He's a matchup nightmare. It may say PF on the roster, but he's going to be utilized much more and in different ways than a PF.
He’s a good shooter and having a center that can space the floor opens up driving lanes for his teammates.

My point was more so that he will guard other teams centers as a primary, because of his ridiculous shot blocking ability.

Got big hopes for Jaylen Withers. Think he’s gonna have a break out season, especially playing his natural position with Malik at center. We’re gonna have a hell of a front court. I think withers is underrated and he was also on the all fresh ACC last season. Look out for him. He’s a modern day nba forward with his versatility as a shooter, post player, etc.

I hope your right and he blows up this year and then JJ Traynor blows up the year after that. But thats a long ways away and we have so many new pieces im excited to see how they all fit.

Why does playing the 5 mean he’s stuffed around the basket? He’s also a matchup nightmare of the opposing center is trying to chase him around the perimeter and/or pick and pop.

I hope your right and he blows up this year and then JJ Traynor blows up the year after that. But thats a long ways away and we have so many new pieces im excited to see how they all fit.
I expect big things outta JJ too. He doesn’t have the physique of Jaylen but he’s talented, as we saw last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT