ADVERTISEMENT

More Passionate: UK Fans or the Folks That Dislike UK Fans?

With the exception of their first season, they've had about the same record each season that they were having in the BIG12. Basically 5 or 6 losses per season.
Now go look at the jump in their recruiting that started in 2013. Heck, in 2010, they landed zero 3, 4 or 5* recruits. Ever since they went to the SEC, their recruiting has jumped. You left that part out of your dig for some reason, but maybe you just forgot about that aspect of the sport.
I'm sure in your mind, this all just reinforces your opinion that UK is cheating though.

I don’t care enough to dive into A&M’s recruiting trends.

The bottom line is your SEC homerism is clouding reality per usual. If you can convince yourself that Kentucky has great competition every year in basketball, then you’re obviously going to view their football schedule as an incomparable gauntlet.

But how the SEC compares to the Big 12 in a typical year has nothing to do with the question at hand anyway. We were discussing KU's Orange Bowl year. That year, the Big 12 finished with more top 10 teams, the same number of ranked teams, a top 5 team, and had one more loss than the SEC in bowl games. Pretty homerish to call it "pure comedy" to compare the two. But not surprising.

Also, remember this when people are pointing out that the SEC doesn’t compare to the top basketball leagues. The gap between Kentucky’s basketball competition and that of the top leagues is much greater what we’re talking about here.

Last edited:
Interesting that A&M has won more games after moving from such a vastly inferior conference.

There is a middle ground between “garbage programs” and gauntlet, in case you didn’t know.
where were they ranked recruiting when they were in the big 12 vs SEC

I'll say this, UK is a program that it can't be denied fires people up no matter who they root for.
Or...is it that UK is a fan base (not program) that fires people up? I’ll even take it a step further...is it UK’s social media “attitude” that fires people up? As a UofL fan, growing up and growing old in a UK centric world, I never had any issues with UK fans...until I started engaging in social media as a UofL fan. I’ve never had any issues with any fan base trumpeting their virtues and greatness...as long as they don’t diminish MY team and program in the process. I find any fan base annoying that props their program up by proclaiming how and why they are better than your program. Simply put, if you cheer your team on, without badmouthing my team...I have no issue with you.

Last edited:
Or...is it that UK is a fan base (not program) that fires people up? I’ll even take it a step further...is it the UK’s social media “attitude” that fires people up? As a UofL fan, growing up and growing old in a UK centric world, I never had any issues with UK fans...until I started engaging in social media as a UofL fan. I’ve never had any issues with any fan base trumpeting their virtues and greatness...as long as they don’t diminish MY team and program in the process. I find any fan base annoying that props their program up by proclaiming how and why they are better than your program. Simply put, if you cheer your team on, without badmouthing my team...I have no issue with you.
I don't know . . . but I never thought this mammer jammer would go 10 pages.

Reactions: Steelers2012
The SEC East has some great historical programs no doubt about it, but there was a period before Kirby Smart went to uga they were down a bit, when UF had Muschamp then Mcelwain they weren’t the Urban Meyer led gators that dominated, and Tenn wasn’t very good either(still aren’t imo), and SC wasn’t great either. During that stretch the SEC East wasn’t a very tough division. It was the same time period that Missouri went to the SEC and won the East division within a few years of getting the invite.

It’s not the norm, and things have definitely changed since then, specifically UGA got way better under smart, and UF is doing the same under Mullen. Plus UK has taken a big step forward. SC also always puts out a talented squad. The Sec East is far better now than it was during that timeframe. And I know I know cherry picking timeframes, but it’s just how it was. It’s very unlikely that all the top programs in a division are down at the same time, but it happened.

The same thing is going on currently in the ACC Coastal. Vtech, Miami, Gtech, are all respectable programs. But for the past few years they all have been down (As well as Louisville and fsu, but they are in the other division) and ACC football has taken a hit reputation wise bc of it. (except for Clemson, it benefits them to be an elite team in a cupcake conference)
It might appear that way, but more times than not, whenever those programs (Florida, South Carolina, UGA and UT) went out of conference, they won, including their bowl games.

What does that tell you?

I don’t care enough to dive into A&M’s recruiting trends.

The bottom line is your SEC homerism is clouding reality per usual. If you can convince yourself that Kentucky has great competition every year in basketball, then you’re obviously going to view their football schedule as an incomparable gauntlet.

But how the SEC compares to the Big 12 in a typical year has nothing to do with the question at hand anyway. We were discussing KU's Orange Bowl year. That year, the Big 12 finished with more top 10 teams, the same number of ranked teams, a top 5 team, and had one more loss than the SEC in bowl games. Pretty homerish to call it "pure comedy" to compare the two. But not surprising.

Also, remember this when people are pointing out that the SEC doesn’t compare to the top basketball leagues. The gap between Kentucky’s basketball competition and that of the top leagues is much greater what we’re talking about here.
Timeframing is fun isn’t it? "There was that one year when so and so was better… yeah, I remember that".

Of course you don't want to dive into aTm's recruiting, because it would kill your argument and you calling me a homer is more hypocritical than you will ever understand.

Do you not realize just how big of a homer you are? There isn't a bigger homer in the history of this board than you. But at least you punch up.

Or...is it that UK is a fan base (not program) that fires people up? I’ll even take it a step further...is it the UK’s social media “attitude” that fires people up? As a UofL fan, growing up and growing old in a UK centric world, I never had any issues with UK fans...until I started engaging in social media as a UofL fan. I’ve never had any issues with any fan base trumpeting their virtues and greatness...as long as they don’t diminish MY team and program in the process. I find any fan base annoying that props their program up by proclaiming how and why they are better than your program. Simply put, if you cheer your team on, without badmouthing my team...I have no issue with you.
Well, if you can't see that UK fans are consistently on defense on this board, then that's on you.

Yeah, some of us take shots at UNC for the scandal and some of us have our fun with the UofL scandals, but don't act like UL fans wouldn't be crushing UK if the roles were reversed. Hell, UK hasn't done much of anything, but you have fans that can't post without attacking UK.

Last edited:
Timeframing is fun isn’t it? "There was that one year when so and so was better… yeah, I remember that".

Of course you don't want to dive into aTm's recruiting, because it would kill your argument and you calling me a homer is more hypocritical than you will ever understand.

Do you not realize just how big of a homer you are? There isn't a bigger homer in the history of this board than you. But at least you punch up.

By your definition of homer, maybe (I.e. someone who talks about his team a lot). By the usual definition, not even close.

Timeframing? You asked me if a specific team could have made the Orange Bowl in the SEC. Would it make any sense to talk about any year other than the one in which they played? You seem to be randomly borrowing from JC’s saved templates.

Few can match your level of SEC homerism. You’ve clearly spent many years honing your craft.

To prove my point, here’s a homer test:
What’s your take on John Wall’s “That’s what they pay me to do” quote?

Even with the setup, I know you can’t resist a weak spin attempt when opportunity knocks.

By your definition of homer, maybe (I.e. someone who talks about his team a lot). By the usual definition, not even close.

Timeframing? You asked me if a specific team could have made the Orange Bowl in the SEC. Would it make any sense to talk about any year other than the one in which they played? You seem to be randomly borrowing from JC’s saved templates.

Few can match your level of SEC homerism. You’ve clearly spent many years honing your craft.

To prove my point, here’s a homer test:
What’s your take on John Wall’s “That’s what they pay me to do” quote?

Even with the setup, I know you can’t resist a weak spin attempt when opportunity knocks.
Whatever man, we're going round and round again, which is something that happens anytime you're involved in any discussion.

And I know you're from Kansas, where the most exciting event is a tumbleweed rolling down the road, but the rest of us have heard the phrase "that’s what they pay me for" or "that’s why they pay me the big bucks" when the guy is sweeping the floors at McDonalds. But go ahead and do your thing. Just remember, it's not UK with their head on the chopping block right now.

Last edited:
Whatever man, we're going round and round again, which is something that happens anytime you're involved in any discussion.

And I know you're from Kansas, where the most exciting event is a tumbleweed rolling down the road, but the rest of us have heard the phrase "that’s what they pay me for" or "that’s why they pay me the big bucks" when the guy is sweeping the floors at McDonalds. But go ahead and do your thing. Just remember, it's not UK with their head on the chopping block right now.

Bwahaha...As expected, you came through with a terrible spin.

A Kentucky resident calling another state unexciting is always funny. I’ll take the KC area over anywhere in Kentucky. Being surrounded by people with full sets of teeth is also a bonus.

Bwahaha...As expected, you came through with a terrible spin.

A Kentucky resident calling another state unexciting is always funny. I’ll take the KC area over anywhere in Kentucky. Being surrounded by people with full sets of teeth is also a bonus.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Kansas City isn’t in the state of Kansas.

My point stands.

I thought Kansas people hated Missouri? So y'all hate everything about Missouri, except when you need a championship NFL team to be a fan of huh? How convenient.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Kansas City isn’t in the state of Kansas.

My point stands.

I thought Kansas people hated Missouri? So y'all hate everything about Missouri, except when you need a championship NFL team to be a fan of huh? How convenient.
Kansas was ranked the least beautiful state in the country. Kentucky blows it away. He's talking up a city that isn't even in Kansas lol

My point stands.

Do you seriously not know by now that the city is split by the state line? And that a large portion of the metro area is on the KS side? There are just as many Chiefs/Royals fans in Kansas as Missouri. But that's immaterial. Your intent was to bash the area that I'm from, and I'm from the Kansas City metro. I don't spend any time in the western half of Kansas that people like to make fun of.

Kansas was ranked the least beautiful state in the country. Kentucky blows it away. He's talking up a city that isn't even in Kansas lol
All Kentucky needs to bring to the table to be > Kansas is Keeneland. We don't even need to bring Churchill Downs in.

Do you seriously not know by now that the city is split by the state line? And that a large portion of the metro area is on the KS side? There are just as many Chiefs/Royals fans in Kansas as Missouri. But that's immaterial. Your intent was to bash the area that I'm from, and I'm from the Kansas City metro. I don't spend any time in the western half of Kansas that people like to make fun of.
Oh, I forgot that they changed it from Kansas City, Missouri to Kansas City, Kansas. Glad you reminded me.

I've been to KC, built a cell site in Lexington about 20 years ago. I remember it well and fully understand why nobody ever mentions it. You should probably travel around the country some, you'll forget all about Kansas City, KS.

Keeneland is definitely a beautiful landmark... Churchill, while historic, is not beautiful at all.
Yea, I agree. I would be willing to bet years ago Churchill was beautiful. Or at least the surrounding parts outside weren't broken down and ghetto. But that area of town isn't great anymore. Its the perfect spot for U of L, though ;)

It might appear that way, but more times than not, whenever those programs (Florida, South Carolina, UGA and UT) went out of conference, they won, including their bowl games.

What does that tell you?

I would have to see who they played OOC and in their bowl games. Not every OOC opponent is the same. Imo end of year rank in the polls is really all we have to compare teams across conferences, but that obv has flaws as well.

In the period of time when those Teams were having a “down year” from what they are accustomed to I’m assuming they played in worse bowl games against worse bowl eligible teams than if they had a good year and Played in one of the top tier bowl games.

And again I was just talking about the short period of time when they all were having down years at the same time, like the year Mizzou won the East.

Presently every team in the East has gotten better except Vandy whose just gonna vandy and Tennessee who has just maintained a certain level of Mediocrity. But obv UGA is back and has been for a few years now under Smart and I believe UF is trending in the right direction under Mullen. SC is a wildcard to me bc they always have talent I just don’t believe in Muschamp and I certainly don’t understand SCs line of thinking when they hired him. If he couldn’t get it done at Florida, why in the world would they think he would be the right guy to bring SC back. But imo he has done a better job at SC than he did at UF, but then again the expectations are much different.

I think the SEC is the best conference, hands down. And has been for as long as I can remember. I was just stating that there was a period not to long ago when the East division wasn’t nearly as stacked as the west, and wasn’t that impressive in general. But the west kept the SEC in the drivers seat as far as best conference goes bc Alabama/Auburn/LSU were almost always fielding really good teams, esp bama (obviously)

Oh, I forgot that they changed it from Kansas City, Missouri to Kansas City, Kansas. Glad you reminded me.

I've been to KC, built a cell site in Lexington about 20 years ago. I remember it well and fully understand why nobody ever mentions it. You should probably travel around the country some, you'll forget all about Kansas City, KS.
Kansas City, Kansas is just across the river from KCMO. It's a shithole though.

@MrBaracus in this thread taking on errbody! Laughing

WiltedUntimelyGazelle-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Villian07

You made a crack about me not seeing anything more exciting than a tumbleweed. Now you're shifting to me trying to claim KC MO as part of KS.

I know it's impossible for you to stay focused, but the side of state line that I reside in has nothing to do with what we were talking about. I've spent a lot of time in KC, MO and used to work there. Again...no reason to even compare it to KC KS, but stupid derailments is your thing.

I would have to see who they played OOC and in their bowl games. Not every OOC opponent is the same. Imo end of year rank in the polls is really all we have to compare teams across conferences, but that obv has flaws as well.

In the period of time when those Teams were having a “down year” from what they are accustomed to I’m assuming they played in worse bowl games against worse bowl eligible teams than if they had a good year and Played in one of the top tier bowl games.

And again I was just talking about the short period of time when they all were having down years at the same time, like the year Mizzou won the East.

Presently every team in the East has gotten better except Vandy whose just gonna vandy and Tennessee who has just maintained a certain level of Mediocrity. But obv UGA is back and has been for a few years now under Smart and I believe UF is trending in the right direction under Mullen. SC is a wildcard to me bc they always have talent I just don’t believe in Muschamp and I certainly don’t understand SCs line of thinking when they hired him. If he couldn’t get it done at Florida, why in the world would they think he would be the right guy to bring SC back. But imo he has done a better job at SC than he did at UF, but then again the expectations are much different.

I think the SEC is the best conference, hands down. And has been for as long as I can remember. I was just stating that there was a period not to long ago when the East division wasn’t nearly as stacked as the west, and wasn’t that impressive in general. But the west kept the SEC in the drivers seat as far as best conference goes bc Alabama/Auburn/LSU were almost always fielding really good teams, esp bama (obviously)
Well, as a UofL fan, you might want to be careful here, your best bowl win is a recent orange bowl contest against one of those weak SEC East teams.

You made a crack about me not seeing anything more exciting than a tumbleweed. Now you're shifting to me trying to claim KC MO as part of KS.

I know it's impossible for you to stay focused, but the side of state line that I reside in has nothing to do with what we were talking about. I've spent a lot of time in KC, MO and used to work there. Again...no reason to even compare it to KC KS, but stupid derailments is your thing.
I'm simply pointing out that you Kansas fans hate everything about Missouri, but if they have a successful sports team, y'all will jump on it and claim them as your team. Then you doubled down by saying KY has no pro sports franchises to pull for. Seems pretty damn hypocritical to me.

Wait, he actually doesn't understand that KC MO and KC KS coexist?

That explains a lot.
Where does Arrowhead Stadium reside? Yup, you're all about Kansas until that state you hate has something you need.

I'm simply pointing out that you Kansas fans hate everything about Missouri, but if they have a successful sports team, y'all will jump on it and claim them as your team. Then you doubled down by saying KY has no pro sports franchises to pull for. Seems pretty damn hypocritical to me.

I sometimes wonder if you're serious with this stuff.

I doubt that anyone over the age of 10 "hates everything about Missouri." Yes, Kansans and Missourians, generally speaking, don't get along. Although I doubt that anyone refuses to support the Chiefs because they're on the other side of the state line.

It would be like claiming that you don't have the right to be a Reds fan if you don't get along with Ohio people.

As for the state beauty debate, I'm not sure what that has to do with the original comment about "excitement" in a particular area. And if your best examples of excitement are Keeneland and Churchill, I think you've proven my point for me. Which is that you have no business calling another state or region unexciting.

Well, the excitement aspect has nothing to do with the original post either, but here we are.

Sounds like someone is bummed they don't live in a more beautiful state.

Oh I know. I’m just saying I wouldn’t use Churchill as an example of a beautiful landmark in KY.
I’d go to Churchill 9/10 before keeneland. Way more history and less frat bro snobs. If I wanted to hang with Brad and Chad, I’d just visit the Tin Roof then hit up keenland.

ADVERTISEMENT