MLK Day - Something We Can All Agree With

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Ipartiedwithhopgood, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Ipartiedwithhopgood Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Important day. Great man.

2. lurkeraspect84

lurkeraspect84 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Selma has a screener out.

3. Steelers2012

Steelers2012 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Agree 100%.
    On a semi-related note (not at all comparing him to the Reverend MLK), for those who live in or near the Louisville area, I have been very impressed (and grateful) over the years with Christopher 2X's consistent message of non-violence and community responsiblilty. He has long been a voice of reason and peaceful presence whenever incidents and tragedies occurred in the local African American community that could have sparked a fire in Louisville race relations. I'm not sure his impact in the Louisville community has been adequately recognized. I just wanted to acknowledge that on this day of remembrance of the late great Martin Luther King. Peace, understanding and tolerance to all.

4. hawkit3113

hawkit3113 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It was a f'd up world back then. Its scary and amazing to think about life back then.

5. sven187

sven187 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Is that today? I have to work it's just another day to me.

6. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree OP. It's funny, at the time, some didn't consider him great or important. It's funny what time will do.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

7. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Very important day. MLK was a true civil rights leader/pioneer. He was a great man.

8. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Steelers:

I know Christopher "2X". Guy was bad, bad, bad in hbis early days. Talk about a man doing a complete(well almost) 360 in life. Very strong voice of reasoning. Now I didn't always have that opinion, but over time, he's reached out to a broader audience.

As for MLK? JUST tremendous. He didn't just change the lives of African-Americans, he changed the lives of many minority, and society itself. IMO, he should be regarded as one of America's greatest leaders, and innovators.

Only thing I didn't like about Selma was how they potrayed his and President Johnson's relationship. That wasz false, and sad. LBJ was a huge advocate of MLK and his visions of an equal America.

9. FAO_BlueFan

FAO_BlueFan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Eh - There is nothing that we can all agree on. You should know that by now.

Hopefully though few or none of the people who would not agree with this sentiment will bother to show up in the thread.

Thank heavens for Martin Luther King. I'm glad that we have this day to recognize.

10. Spacegrass

Spacegrass Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I always wonder what he would of become had he not been murdered that day. Would he of stayed true to his meesage in words and action as time goes on? Or would he of gone more the route of say a Sharpton or Jackson who have been corrupted by money and power?
    This post was edited on 1/19 5:17 PM by Spacegrass

11. BasketBallJunkie-UK

BasketBallJunkie-UK Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think he would have been considered as great as he is today, if he hadn't been killed. His personal indiscretions were swept under the rug. I think those would have tainted him as a man, maybe not his word though. I think Andrew Young and Hosea Williams were more in the cut of MLK than the 2 you mentioned. Both continued to do good works.

12. Steelers2012

Expand Collapse

Yeah, I'm aware he has been described in the past as a homeless, unemployed, deadbeat dad. But I am also aware of the positive impact he has had on the young African Americans in the Louisville community and on the adults in those communities towards making positive changes themselves. I am especially impressed by his consistent stance of non-violence and his message of community responsible for its own ills.

13. 1Tripoda

1Tripoda Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Great civil right leader, yes. But not a pioneer. He was a student of Ghandi.

14. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, no doubt he was a great man of tremendous influence. My little girl has been telling me all kind of cool bits of information they have learned about him this week.

15. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Steelers:

I was speaking of his 7 year prison stint for dealing drugs.

And you may have taken my postg wrong: I was applauding him for turning his life around. Not condeming him.

16. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It was safer back then than now Hawkit.

In 1968 I was 22 years old nearly out of college and was enjoying life. My world was not f'd up at all. Viet Nam was f'ing up lives, but the music was the best ever and the girls as pretty as ever. My black friends lives were not f'd up either. One of them had just make the big leagues in baseball.

The night before he was killed Dr. King said he had been to the top of the mountain and had seen the promised land. He knew that he had won his race. He said I might not make it there with you but I have seen the promised land. I think he knew he would soon be dead.

God bless Martin.

17. Steelers2012

Expand Collapse

Oh no, you were clear that you were recognizing the positive turnaround in his life and actions. I wasn't aware of his prior time behind bars. That just makes his lifestyle turnaround even more note worthy. For the sake of so many who look up to him for guidance and support, let's hope he stays on the straight and narrow as well.

18. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Martin Luther King was not cut from the same cloth as Sharpton or Jackson. They are crooks.

Dr. King was a true inspired man of God, he was the real thing. He would never stoop to amoral crap that Jackson and Sharpton daily.

I have faith that MLK would have walked the straight and narrow no matter how long he lived. He was good. Jackson and Sharpton are not good nor inspired by God.

19. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Sharpton and Jackson are a JOKE compared to MLK. They will NEVER be remembered in the same light as that awesome man.

Also--- I was off work today.

Sidebar- a few years ago I worked for a debt consolidation company (later found out it wasn't very legit) anyways pretty sweet deal. My own office in the biggest suite on the 10th floor of the Starks building but my boss was insane. The day OF mlk day she went around and told the Black people in the office "if you feel like you need to be off today, you are more than welcome to leave for the day. Of course the white people (and a few Asian people) were not given the option lol ... Not that I cared. None of the black people did leave though... As that's a pretty freaking awkward thing to do. I still to this day can't believe that actually happened.

20. Dattier

Dattier Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's not all good, what time can do. It's great, of course, that he is so widely revered. It speaks to the progress in society. What's problematic is that we've homogenized who he was and forget that he was a serious rabble-rouser. In forgetting that, we are less likely to recognize others who are continuing his work. It's too easy to say, "Oh, that guy is nothing like MLK" when in truth, MLK would be working on some of those same issues if he were alive today. If he kept it in mind that he was controversial in his day, we might be more open-minded now.

21. Bert Higginbotha

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It was not. Read a little.

MLK was great and a congress of 534 white men voted in the civil rights acts with the aid of 1 black man.

Now write a thesis on how blacks wrote the civil rights act. After the failed effort come back to me and I will give you a little history.

Until you read a little history, keep you mouth shut. Geeze!