ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Lands Norchad Omier and Nijel Pack

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
The U is dominating the transfer portal. They just landed the best player in the Sunbelt in addition to getting Nijel Pack.

Jim Larrinaga is actually a good coach too so it'll be interesting to see if Miami ends up being a true national contender next year.

They are losing Kameron McGusty and Charlie Moore, however.

Feel like Pack and Omier might make them a top 25 team. If they get Isaiah Wong back, they might be borderline top 10. Feel like they'll need Wong and one more big-time transfer to really be a legit contender.

Either way, Miami is doing serious work. And the ACC could be very challenging next season.

It's awesome, they are just straight up flipping the bird to the NCAA in the process. They are getting these guys with straight up pay-for-play contracts and not even hiding it. Not even trying to disguise as NIL deals. 😂

We knew what Pack was getting within the hour .. I'm not following all the UM know-whos .. so, what did Norchad pull?

The U is dominating the transfer portal. They just landed the best player in the Sunbelt in addition to getting Nijel Pack.

Jim Larrinaga is actually a good coach too so it'll be interesting to see if Miami ends up being a true national contender next year.

Honestly, I’d be a little surprised if the finish top 4 in the ACC, let alone contending for a Final Four.

They did as well as they did this year because of the experience of guys like McGusty and Wong And Waardenburg playing together for a while. Grabbing one transfer like Moore is great. But building a team of transfers doesn’t usually result in immediate chemistry and success.

Guys have to play together and fit together as a team. Can the Hurricanes do that? Maybe. Having Wong come back would certainly help. But right now I see them more as a solid 20-35 type of team.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Honestly, I’d be a little surprised if the finish top 4 in the ACC, let alone contending for a Final Four.

They did as well as they did this year because of the experience of guys like McGusty and Wong And Waardenburg playing together for a while. Grabbing one transfer like Moore is great. But building a team of transfers doesn’t usually result in immediate chemistry and success.

Guys have to play together and fit together as a team. Can the Hurricanes do that? Maybe. Having Wong come back would certainly help. But right now I see them more as a solid 20-35 type of team.
I'm leaning this way slightly, and you saying it makes me trust my gut more.
Having those 3 guys together for awhile was a rare thing.. Waardenburg kind of that Manek "lite" stretch the floor 4/5 that you don't see a lot of in today's game.

I'm not saying they will bust but it smells a little like Texas last year to me.

I think a lot of portal winners are going to be the programs finding a piece to wedge into what's already brewing. Manek UNC/Remy KU

But this is a new era just guessing.

I'm leaning this way slightly, and you saying it makes me trust my gut more.
Having those 3 guys together for awhile was a rare thing.. Waardenburg kind of that Manek "lite" stretch the floor 4/5 that you don't see a lot of in today's game.

I'm not saying they will bust but it smells a little like Texas last year to me.

I think a lot of portal winners are going to be the programs finding a piece to wedge into what's already brewing. Manek UNC/Remy KU

But this is a new era just guessing.

No, I think that’s exactly right. You use the portal to add a missing piece or two. Not build the core of your team. At least not in the first year.

Don’t get me wrong, Larranaga is a good coach and he’ll have his guys competitive. But adding a couple transfers, even impact transfers, ain’t replacing guys with 3 years in the system, two of whom could be NBA guys themselves.

Or a player joining mid season and getting a deal but never plays for the university?
liar-liar-jim-carrey.gif

John Ruiz is the guy who is offering most of the Canes NIL deals to promote his companies. Here's what an ESPN article says about the Isaiah Wong matter.

"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say is that he was treated very fairly."

Wong feels like he's worth at least the same value as the incoming transfers - and Ruiz has no interest in renegotiating. So, it seems likely that Wong will be transferring.

John Ruiz is the guy who is offering most of the Canes NIL deals to promote his companies. Here's what an ESPN article says about the Isaiah Wong matter.

"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say is that he was treated very fairly."

Wong feels like he's worth at least the same value as the incoming transfers - and Ruiz has no interest in renegotiating. So, it seems likely that Wong will be transferring.
Sucks for him to take a pay cut.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT