ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis gets Precious Achiuwa

I know it's shallow, but I can't take him seriously with the name Precious. I cringe just thinking of the corny highlight intros.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
The power of having 3 former NBA players and the “swagger” Penny has is strong.

I don’t think they are cheating at all.

Just about every kid they’ve gotten had a previous connection to Miller

This season should be fun in Memphis. Can't wait. I might actually use some of these tickets I get this year.

Memphis OOC schedule so far.

Nov. 16 vs. Ole Miss
Nov. 11 or 30 at Northeastern
Nov. 21-24 Myrtle Beach Invitational (Mississippi State, Villanova, Baylor, Utah, Middle Tennessee State, Ohio and Coastal Carolina)
TBD at UAB
Dec. 14 at Tennessee

Surely they'll be one of the teams in the SEC/AAC challenge.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone like Appalachian stare offers mike miller a gig. He is the mail reason he’s getting these kids. Penny just seals the deal. That conference blows. I could see witcha state or Houston knocking them off atleast once. That’s not counting ooc, where they will probably play Tennessee and then the little sisters of the poor. They will have a good team no doubt, but if penny can’t control them they will hopefully crash and burn

Please baby jesus let this happen in the tournament. If Memphis get to the tournament this year, there's 100% the selection committee will put us in the same bracket. It will be so much fun for both sides.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Please baby jesus let this happen in the tournament. If Memphis get to the tournament this year, there's 100% the selection committee will put us in the same bracket. It will be so much fun for both sides.

Memphis will be a #1 seed....... no one in the AAC can handle Memphis' front court. I'd be shocked if they lost more than 1 conference game.

Memphis will be a #1 seed....... no one in the AAC can handle Memphis' front court. I'd be shocked if they lost more than 1 conference game.
IIRC last year the AAC sent 4(?) teams to the NCAAT and Memphis wasn't one of them, and you can see above their OOC so far.

Drew Franklin put up a venmo bet on twitter that they wouldn't get a 1 or 2. I'm guessing that didn't turn out well.

I have adopted your angle dealing with coworkers here. They're not fans of it.

Just to clarify, I do think Memphis will win a lot of games next year, just based on conference affiliation and talent alone - X's and O's not withstanding.

Where I think Penny will get in trouble hauling in this kind of class early will be managing a roster with a lot of talented guys that expect to play and get touches. God knows what he's sold in these living rooms, but high school and AAU ball is a far cry from the top tier of D1 CBB in managing personalities, expectations, and worst of all, parents/guardians/handlers.

And given how he handled the media last year - e.g. the Rick Barnes episode-, the usual suspects will be there pushing buttons once there's blood in the water. It's something he would be much better equipped to deal with 5 years from now.

In short,

Last edited:
IIRC last year the AAC sent 4(?) teams to the NCAAT and Memphis wasn't one of them, and you can see above their OOC so far.

Drew Franklin put up a venmo bet on twitter that they wouldn't get a 1 or 2. I'm guessing that didn't turn out well.

And Drew has been known to lose money on bad bets . Tucker and Wiseman alone can carry that team to a AAC conference title.. throw their other 3 outstanding freshmen and not even a 2nd year head coach can screw that up.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Memphis will be must see tv. Will be interesting to see the delicate balance between Penny being a mediocre coach and the roster being one of the best in the country.

Reactions: kl40504
ADVERTISEMENT