ADVERTISEMENT

Maui?

Damn nice field. As a Runnin’ Rebs fan, I don’t expect UNLV to beat UNC in Asheville but the next round will be interesting. So damn happy to see MBB in any capacity.

Reactions: Bill_Loney
Texas
Davidson

Providence
Indiana

UNC
UNLV

Alabama
Stanford

Majority of the field could find itself in the NCAA Tournament

A few teams with a lot to prove

Could be an interesting early season tournament

Indiana vs Providence definitely is the best first round game

Who shows up

At least Texas has the easiest first round matchup.
But the second round matchup could be rough

They want that Indiana/UNC final.
Don't think they'll get it, and not because of you. Correct me if I'm wrong Heel faithful, but I feel like we don't do very well in these early tourneys.

Don't think they'll get it, and not because of you. Correct me if I'm wrong Heel faithful, but I feel like we don't do very well in these early tourneys.
UNC is 18-3 in the Maui Invitational & has won the championship 4 out of 7 appearances.

Reactions: AWilli6995
UNC is 18-3 in the Maui Invitational & has won the championship 4 out of 7 appearances.
What about the others? You can only do Maui once very three years right? And now that you mention it, we do well in Maui. It's the others, or maybe it's just been recently. I could also just be wrong. Lol.

UNLV is a team to watch. IMO their coach ends up at a major program.
Was at South Dakota State. Put together a solid team there.

They could be a threat to UNC
UNLV had 4 double digit scorers last year, they lost 3 of them in the off-season (including their top 2 assist guys) from a 17-15 team. They have a 7-man freshman class coming in. Of those guys the only one that appears ready to contribute right away is a top 50 PG. Other than that they also have 5 or so transfers coming in, none of which did much at their previous stops other than Jenkins (SDSU). I don't think they'll be very good this season.

UNLV had 4 double digit scorers last year, they lost 3 of them in the off-season (including their top 2 assist guys) from a 17-15 team. They have a 7-man freshman class coming in. Of those guys the only one that appears ready to contribute right away is a top 50 PG. Other than that they also have 5 or so transfers coming in, none of which did much at their previous stops. I don't think they'll be very good this season.

David Jenkins Jr...
He is eligible now for UNLV. Followed the coach from South Dakota State.

He could have probably went anywhere he wanted when he transferred.

But decided to follow the coach. I expect a big season from him. Just a very good all around player.

Even with Mike Daum I thought he was the best player at SDSU when I watched them.

David Jenkins Jr...
He is eligible now for UNLV. Followed the coach from South Dakota State.
Yeah, other than Jenkins, all the rest are kind of head-scratchers. Jenkins is good, but he was also playing in the Summit League. They'll need more than 2-3 capable players to have a decent team.

Yeah, other than Jenkins, all the rest are kind of head-scratchers. Jenkins is good, but he was also playing in the Summit League. They'll need more than 2-3 capable players to have a decent team.

Any player that can shoot around 50% from three point range is dangerous.

I saw what they did with Eli Mitrou Long last year. He is a decent player but with UNLV he was a difference maker.

Not familiar with the other transfers. I wouldn't automatically consider them unreliable. Especially considering some were already in the program for a year.

Any player that can shoot around 50% from three point range is dangerous.

I saw what they did with Eli Mitrou Long last year. He is a decent player but with UNLV he was a difference maker.

Not familiar with the other transfers. I wouldn't automatically consider them unreliable. Especially considering some were already in the program for a year.
I wouldn't say EML was a difference maker. His overall numbers were pretty pedestrian and he's a turrible jump shooter. He was decent, but he made the biggest strides at MSM before he transferred to Texas.

What about the others? You can only do Maui once very three years right? And now that you mention it, we do well in Maui. It's the others, or maybe it's just been recently. I could also just be wrong. Lol.
Not really sure about the other tournaments. I had just read an article a few days ago about UNC’s success in Maui.

I wouldn't say EML was a difference maker. His overall numbers were pretty pedestrian and he's a turrible jump shooter. He was decent, but he made the biggest strides at MSM before he transferred to Texas.

He allowed UNLV to play small ball. They were a team who ended the season hot.

Don't know where they at to begin the season.
But TJ Otzelberger makes it tough for other teams on the defensive end.

With Marvin Coleman and now David Jenkins Jr they could be a threat

Especially considering UNC is coming into the season without any confidence. That team doesn't know how to win.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I'm glad no one was scared to play in this one.

Hopfully UNC doesn't have to play Texas. They never play well against them.

The Maui classic is in Asheville? Where is the Pacific? Where is Chaminade? Where is any good teams?

The players will get a frost burn instead of a sun burn. Geeze.
Chaminade is no longer a permanent fixture...Play in alternating years. They will be in next years field.

Not sure what you mean by "pacific teams"? Pacific Northwest...Or just Pacific Coast teams? This year Stanford is in the field....

Any good teams? Indiana, Texas, Stanford and North Carolina are all preseason Top 25 teams. UNLV is overlooked...Alabama and Providence are just outside the Top 25.

Plenty of teams capable of being good---even really good.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
He allowed UNLV to play small ball. They were a team who ended the season hot.

Don't know where they at to begin the season.
But TJ Otzelberger makes it tough for other teams on the defensive end.

With Marvin Coleman and now David Jenkins Jr they could be a threat

Especially considering UNC is coming into the season without any confidence. That team doesn't know how to win.
Yep, I like how disruptive they can be on defense. I think their back court will be strong, just not completely sold on the front court other than Diong. I hope they smack UNC around, but I am skeptical. With the key departures along with all the frosh and transfers it might take UNLV a bit to mesh.

UNLV backcourt is solid, like KB said. Marvin Coleman, Caleb Grill (Iowa State transfer), David Jenkins, Bryce Hamilton and Nick Blake. All can shoot and handle the ball. Good enough for a 4-guards line up.

Front court: Diong, El Cadia , Moses Wood ( Tulane transfers) and Jaylon Martinez. Except for Diong, all three can shoot from long range

UNLV plays and beat San Diego State in San Diego with a healthy EML. Ruined the Aztecs undefeated season

UNLV plays and beat San Diego State in San Diego with a healthy EML. Ruined the Aztecs undefeated season

Love the fact that he would throw his body in the lane attempting to take charges while playing for Texas.

Like what was said he came from a good program at Mount St. Mary's.
His brother was a decent player at Iowa State.

He was limited on offense because he never developed much of a shot but made up for it on defense.
Attempted to earn time on the court by bringing energy.

UNLV is paying him like a major program. Otz can coach! Keep an eye on Bryce Hamilton. Fun to watch

I don't know the man personally so I don't know what he is looking for

I see that he is bringing in a lot of local talent from Vegas.
I was out there in Southern California from 1990-2007. Vegas has a lot of talent.
So maybe that is a place he can stay at. But he is an Upper Midwest Guy. Don't know if he is interested in coaching in the B1G or even at Marquette.

But with him UNLV is on the rise again like when they had Lon Kruger.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
I don't know the man personally so I don't know what he is looking for

I see that he is bringing in a lot of local talent from Vegas.
I was out there in Southern California from 1990-2007. Vegas has a lot of talent.
So maybe that is a place he can stay at. But he is an Upper Midwest Guy. Don't know if he is interested in coaching in the B1G or even at Marquette.

But with him UNLV is on the rise again like when they had Lon Kruger.
Good comparison, Lon Kruger doesn’t like the AAU game. His recruiting is limited but the man took every team he had ever coach deep into the tournament because of his system. Coach Otz is the same way, he’ll win a few 4 stars here and there but he will never be a K or a Self or a Cal. It’s his personal choice. Otz teams play defense hard and most of the players he have on the court can shoot. Coach Tark can write his own checks and if Otz is successful he can too. UNLV and Vegas is second to no one if you’re a winner.

Good comparison, Lon Kruger doesn’t like the AAU game. His recruiting is limited but the man took every team he had ever coach deep into the tournament because of his system. Coach Otz is the same way, he’ll win a few 4 stars here and there but he will never be a K or a Self or a Cal. It’s his personal choice. Otz teams play defense hard and most of the players he have on the court can shoot. Coach Tark can write his own checks and if Otz is successful he can too. UNLV and Vegas is second to no one if you’re a winner.

A good friend of mine is cousin's with Dedan Thomas. Thomas played there in the early 90's with JR Rider.
Believe Thomas is coaching basketball in the Vegas area.
Always liked those UNLV teams. Stacey Augmon is what a basketball player should strive to be. The guy could change a game on the defensive end.

A good friend of mine is cousin's with Dedan Thomas. Thomas played there in the early 90's with JR Rider.
Believe Thomas is coaching basketball in the Vegas area.
Always liked those UNLV teams. Stacey Augmon is what a basketball player should strive to be. The guy could change a game on the defensive end.
I know Dedan. And Ice or Plastic Man was the two times National Defensive POY for two consecutive years. He’s still working for
a NBA team as a coach. I saw Larry Johnson once took off beyond the free throw line, gold teeth and all, and dunk in practice..

I know Dedan. And Ice or Plastic Man was the two times National Defensive POY for two consecutive years. He’s still working for
a NBA team as a coach. I saw Larry Johnson once took off beyond the free throw line, gold teeth and all, and dunk in practice..

Augmon was living in Chino Hills. Don't know if is still there. Still does a lot in Pasadena.

UNLV has a good name in Pasadena because of him. I believe that is where Bryce Hamilton is from as well.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
The Maui classic is in Asheville? Where is the Pacific? Where is Chaminade? Where is any good teams?

The players will get a frost burn instead of a sun burn. Geeze.

A team can go what every 3 years? Imagine how excited you are when your team actually gets selected to go play in Maui in nov/dec. Then it turns into hipster town USA in the Appalachia’s. At least they can go see the biltmore.

I don't know if fans will be invited or not...

I actually like Boone and Asheville. Matters your perspective.
Living in Houston. Being up in the cool mountains is different. Plus my son is stationed at Camp Lejeune.
Everyone is different

But like I said fans are most likely not invited.

A team can go what every 3 years? Imagine how excited you are when your team actually gets selected to go play in Maui in nov/dec. Then it turns into hipster town USA in the Appalachia’s. At least they can go see the biltmore.
For the uninformed:

If tickets ever come available to this event, I am 100% going. Asheville is my hometown. Should be a good tournament. It's a very, very good field. Not filled with national title contenders. However, I fully expect UNC, Texas, Indiana, and Stanford to be in the tournament. Providence, Alabama, and UNLV all have enough pieces to get an at-large bid, IMO. Davidson is a step below the rest, but they still have Kellan Grady, who is a star in his own right. Whoever wins this tournament should be able to bolster their resume with three very quality wins.

ADVERTISEMENT