ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville players want to change name of Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium

I’m not sure how that’s worse or a bad look for us? No one liked PJ on the BOT and I don’t see how it’s a bad thing they want his name removed when so many others are doing the same? Aka Marlins.

I just can't for the life of me understand how someone of his public presence could be so stupid to utter such a word. Whether he's a racist, or not . . . wouldn't one think that just keeping your opinions to yourself over such matters is only going to be good for business!?

I know people both black and white who chuckle at a racial (not racist) joke, because they know how important it is to be able to not take ourselves so seriously and laugh at our differences, but you'd have to be an idiot to EVER let the public hear a comment like that in his line of work. If he's going to do that, he deserves whatever is waiting for him.

Muhammad Ali (Memorial) Stadium gaining steam.
Time for Howard Schnellenberger Field as well.

We DO already have the Howard Schnellenberger Football Complex as well. Unitas Field would work too, I guess.
I just think it's more fitting to have the football field named after the most iconic player in the school's history and one on anyone's list of all time great QBs than after a guy who had a losing record while coaching at the school.

"As expected, the University of Louisville is removing Papa John’s name from its football stadium. UofL president Neeli Bendapudi just announced the school is renaming the stadium Cardinal Stadium effective immediately.

The news comes days after it was revealed that Papa John’s founder John Schnatter used the n-word during a conference call, leading to his resignation from the company board as well as the UofL Board of Trustees. Yesterday, several Louisville players and recruits called for the name to come off the stadium on social media.

Schnatter’s name will also be removed from UofL’s school of business. President Bendapudi said she spoke with Schnatter, who apologized and supported the decision to remove his name as to not be a distraction."

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/uofl-removing-papa-johns-name-from-football-stadium/

Reactions: Steelers2012
When was the last off season UL wasn't in the headlines?

Edit: With that said, they've done the right thing by cleaning house.

Last edited:
Curious to know how much money this will cost them.

Curious to know how much money this will cost them.

Beyond that, I’m curious to see how much business it will cost Papa John’s itself. Can’t change that name. They are in red alert at this point.

Reactions: KisteK
Beyond that, I’m curious to see how much business it will cost Papa John’s itself. Can’t change that name. They are in red alert at this point.

Thought i read their stock lost $85mil in one day. It'll bounce back, now is the time to buy.

papa-johns.jpg

Do we know the context of what he said?
On the May call, Schnatter was asked how he would distance himself from racist groups online. He responded by downplaying the significance of his NFL statement. “Colonel Sanders called blacks n—–s,” Schnatter allegedly said, before complaining that Sanders never faced public backlash.

Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where, he said, people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died. He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism, but multiple individuals on the call found them to be offensive, the source said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caddydawg
Until their pizza gets better, I won't eat it. 20 years ago it was my favorite. I try not to choose my meal based on social injustice..but that's me...

Until their pizza gets better, I won't eat it. 20 years ago it was my favorite. I try not to choose my meal based on social injustice..but that's me...
I definitely vote with my dollars as well as in elections. But... even if I owned Papa Johns I wouldn't eat their shitty pizza. Their cheese dipping sauce was off the hook when I was young though.

Reactions: treyforuk
I definitely vote with my dollars as well as in elections. But... even if I owned Papa Johns I wouldn't eat their shitty pizza. Their cheese dipping sauce was off the hook when I was young though.
Hell, if I boycotted every eatery that somebody said was bigot, my wife would have to cook.

I probably still have clogged arteries from eating cheese sticks + cheese sauce in my younger days. But I don’t regret it.

Reactions: Global Havok

Worked there for 3-4 months between high school and college. I gained 20lbs.

On the May call, Schnatter was asked how he would distance himself from racist groups online. He responded by downplaying the significance of his NFL statement. “Colonel Sanders called blacks n—–s,” Schnatter allegedly said, before complaining that Sanders never faced public backlash.

Schnatter also reflected on his early life in Indiana, where, he said, people used to drag African-Americans from trucks until they died. He apparently intended for the remarks to convey his antipathy to racism, but multiple individuals on the call found them to be offensive, the source said.

Ladies and gentlemen, here is your proof that any old moron can make boatloads of money.

Until a corporate conglomerate takes over the rights, I think it’ll remain.
Would another business have to buy the naming right from papa John or would the school have to buy out of their contract first

Would another business have to buy the naming right from papa John or would the school have to buy out of their contract first
Not too sure honestly, I heard that the President of UL is trying to close the contract somehow, not sure how that’ll work. He doesn’t really have too much of a leg to stand on nowadays.

ADVERTISEMENT