ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Avoids Major Penalties in NCAA IARP Ruling

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Louisville men’s basketball avoided major sanctions after an NCAA probe into the program stemming from a 2017 FBI investigation into corruption in college basketball, as the NCAA’s Independent Accountability Review Process (IARP) officially released its decision on Thursday morning. Sports Illustrated‘s Pat Forde reported earlier in the day that the program would receive a fairly minor set of sanctions, confirming a report by CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander.

Louisville avoids a postseason ban, and former coaches Rick Pitino—now at Iona—and Chris Mack both avoid NCAA penalties. The program will pay a $5,000 fine and take a minor reduction in available recruiting days, as well as two years of probation.

A pair of former Louisville assistants have been hit with penalties. Kenny Johnson, now at Rhode Island, will serve a two-year show-cause penalty that keeps him from recruiting for two years. Jordan Fair, now at Oldsmar Christian School in Florida, also has a two-year show-cause penalty.

As previously reported by Norlander, the Independent Accountability Review Process (IARP) board determined that Louisville had only committed one Level I violation, along with some more minor Level III violations, leading to a fairly lenient sentence.

After the 2017 scandal broke, Louisville fired Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino and longtime athletic director Tom Jurich. There were some concerns that Pitino could be in NCAA jeopardy at Iona upon today’s release, but in the release, the IARP says that “the hearing panel determined no violation by former head coach No. 1 [Pitino] occurred given that he demonstrated he promoted an atmosphere of compliance.”

https://www.si.com/college/2022/11/...ll-ncaa-sanctions-iarp-rick-pitino-violations

• Sad
Reactions: johnboiler123
Removes a giant cloud, but it really did put you guys in the hole. May take some time to dig out of it, but at least your new coach will have a chance.
Not sure it takes as long, now....Had there been NCAAT bans----absolutely. Scholarship reductions----Yes. But avoiding those two penalties was HUGE.

Is this the last punishment U of L was expecting? No troll, legit question. If this was, they can finally start rebuilding with no dark cloud hanging above them.

Reactions: UL_1986
Is this the last punishment U of L was expecting? No troll, legit question. If this was, they can finally start rebuilding with no dark cloud hanging above them.
I was honestly about t ask the same question----Legit wanna know. Not trolling, but it just seems for the past 10 years, every time you turned around, UL was in court(over new shit).

Reactions: JimboBBN
Though I strongly dislike their sports programs, I'm actually happy for their fans. They got drilled over the Katina Powell situation - even lost a Natty. Then had to fire Rick Pitino and the best AD they'll ever find due to this incident. Not to mention, the black cloud hanging over the program for 5 years, killing momentum and hurting recruiting.

I think they've done their time/paid their price and I'm glad to see this chapter closed. As a bonus, you guys have no more excuses when we continue to kick your asses.

After listening to the presser, it ultimately confirms just how inept the ncaa is, and they intentionally tried to drag this on yet didn’t really have any grounds to continue to drag it on. **** em.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Though I strongly dislike their sports programs, I'm actually happy for their fans. They got drilled over the Katina Powell situation - even lost a Natty. Then had to fire Rick Pitino and the best AD they'll ever find due to this incident. Not to mention, the black cloud hanging over the program for 5 years, killing momentum and hurting recruiting.

I think they've done their time/paid their price and I'm glad to see this chapter closed. As a bonus, you guys have no more excuses when we continue to kick your asses.
Katina got drilled also! Get it???? Drilled!!!!😂
Glad UL can put this behind them. Maybe now our rivalry can get back to what it should be. Congrats to all you red birds on here!

Katina got drilled also! Get it???? Drilled!!!!😂
Glad UL can put this behind them. Maybe now our rivalry can get back to what it should be. Congrats to all you red birds on here!
We own the winning streak in the rivalry 😉

Just glad it’s over, but there’s some posters on here who have wayyy too much joy seeing other programs go down. Weird bunch imo, I prefer to not see any program go down. Just play sports. The politics of the ncaa are utterly ruhtarded, and some people on this board are def eating crow. To said posters: bless your hearts you miserable cvvnts.

Reactions: rockycard
Just glad it’s over, but there’s some posters on here who have wayyy too much joy seeing other programs go down. Weird bunch imo, I prefer to not see any program go down. Just play sports. The politics of the ncaa are utterly ruhtarded, and some people on this board are def eating crow. To said posters: bless your hearts you miserable cvvnts.

I can understand fans of a low major hoping to see big programs take a hit, especially with the NCAA's history of slamming the little guy and looking the other way at the big dogs.

But it's always the clowns whose teams have a long history of cheating and bringing in elite classes every single year. 😂

I'll give Duke fans credit. I never hear that shit from them. They're not in denial (other than afamu of course).

When Kentucky was banned from television it was a boring season other than when we had a game. We had to listen to the game against each other on the radio. I love seeing Kentucky lose but I don’t want them to not be able to play.

Reactions: RipThru and UL_1986
I can understand fans of a low major hoping to see big programs take a hit, especially with the NCAA's history of slamming the little guy and looking the other way at the big dogs.

But it's always the clowns whose teams have a long history of cheating and bringing in elite classes every single year. 😂

I'll give Duke fans credit. I never hear that shit from them. They're not in denial (other than afamu of course).
The NC'fvckin'A takes care of Duke, UNC and Kansas.

It is easy for Duke fans to keep their mouths shut because they are left to cheat to their hearts content without NCAA interference. Hell UNC basketball players don't even have to go to class.

GEEZE.

Reactions: treyforuk
College sports needs to dump the NCAA. The SEC, BigTen, Little 8, Pac whatever and ACC needs to dump them and create their own association.

SEC should secede from the NCAA and play in a tourney with midmajors. That might turn things around for them. As long as St Peters' conference isn't invited, of course.

The NC'fvckin'A takes care of Duke, UNC and Kansas.

It is easy for Duke fans to keep their mouths shut because they are left to cheat to their hearts content without NCAA interference. Hell UNC basketball players don't even have to go to class.

GEEZE.

Tell me...why didn't the NCAA investigate a Kentucky player flashing stacks of benjamins all over social media? Or all the players linked to the FBI probe? Could it be they're not actually interested in taking them down, as you idiots think? 🤣

When Kentucky was banned from television it was a boring season other than when we had a game. We had to listen to the game against each other on the radio. I love seeing Kentucky lose but I don’t want them to not be able to play.
Exactly. I loathe Kentucky, and want to beat them each time we play…however, I don’t want to see them or any program get hammered by an organization that holds as much morality as catholic priests in the 1970s.

Can’t even disagree. Woof we look bad.
For some reason that made me think about a couple years ago when Auburn self-imposed a post-season ban like 2 days before the 2020-21 season started. They obviously did it because Bruce knew they were going to suck that season anyway and he was right, they ended up going 13-14, so it didn't hurt them at all. But, it kept the NCAA from banning them the following season, when they went 28-6.

giphy.gif

Tell me...why didn't the NCAA investigate a Kentucky player flashing stacks of benjamins all over social media? Or all the players linked to the FBI probe? Could it be they're not actually interested in taking them down, as you idiots think? 🤣
We have good xerox machines in our civilized state. It cost 5 cents to create 10 Benjamins. :D

By the way I don't know of one UK player involved with the FBI probe. Please advise this old man on who they are.

Hell UK built Rupp arena and remodeled it twice since KU built their 1940's era gym. When are you dudes getting into this century?

You guys need help.

For some reason that made me think about a couple years ago when Auburn self-imposed a post-season ban like 2 days before the 2020-21 season started. They obviously did it because Bruce knew they were going to suck that season anyway and he was right, they ended up going 13-14, so it didn't hurt them at all. But, it kept the NCAA from banning them the following season, when they went 28-6.

giphy.gif
Didn’t nc state do the same thing? This would’ve been the season to do it for us. But **** it, I’m happy right now. Even with this pitiful team.

ADVERTISEMENT