ADVERTISEMENT

Loudest Contingent of UK Fans Want Calipari Out

Who would?
Come to think of it, maybe it would be Drew. I would probably prefer Musselman but Drew would probably be 2nd in line. Or maybe he would be option 1 since he's only 52-years-old and you would assume he'll be around quite a bit longer. Everyone else I would want is too old and will be retiring soon, already retired, or they are entrenched where they are now (Few, Beard...in my opinion anyway. It would take a hell of a lot to pull either of those two, if they were even willing to leave).

Come to think of it, maybe it would be Drew. I would probably prefer Musselman but Drew would probably be 2nd in line. Or maybe he would be option 1 since he's only 52-years-old and you would assume he'll be around quite a bit longer. Everyone else I would want is too old and will be retiring soon, already retired, or they are entrenched where they are now (Few, Beard...in my opinion anyway. It would take a hell of a lot to pull either of those two, if they were even willing to leave).
Yeah I always figured Jay Wright would be number 1 for Kentucky fans, but obviously he retired real early so he’s out of the equation.

Drew would definitely be a big time pull, but I almost think he’s going to go the Few route and stick it out where he is.

Not a ton of other great knock it out of the park options.

Musselman would definitely be a good candidate, but with Walmart money coming in, he’s got a chance to do big things at Arkansas too.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Yeah I always figured Jay Wright would be number 1 for Kentucky fans, but obviously he retired real early so he’s out of the equation.

Drew would definitely be a big time pull, but I almost think he’s going to go the Few route and stick it out where he is.

Musselman would definitely be a good candidate, but with Walmart money coming in, he’s got a chance to do big things at Arkansas too.
Replacement isn't gonna be as easy as some UK fans would think. Dude like Few ain't leaving Gonzaga. Beard is a Texas guy to the core----but maybe? I don't see Jay coming out of retirement. As you said, Arkansas has BIG $$$, and could match anything UK threw out there.

Pearl?

10 years out of 80 is pretty small sample size.

How come y’all only bring up the 1940s and 50s when convenient?
Those years are locked in the history books. The more recent ones are changeable, at least in terms of who’s causing the current chaos.

Replacement isn't gonna be as easy as some UK fans would think. Dude like Few ain't leaving Gonzaga. Beard is a Texas guy to the core----but maybe? I don't see Jay coming out of retirement. As you said, Arkansas has BIG $$$, and could match anything UK threw out there.

Pearl?
I’m not sure any of those guys have the temperament for the role. You almost have to be a narcissist. Those are some decent people. Hell I’d be willing to look into our past players first; somebody that understands the passion.

Would UK go after Pearl?

tenor.gif

The reactions would just be fantastic. Heck of a coach who would do really well there but some of BBN would probably flip their shit.

Would he go there though?

Seems like he can get big time recruits at Baylor and built his own program from the ground up.
He has a lottery pick playing for him right now in Keyonte George. UK recruits itself.

tenor.gif

The reactions would just be fantastic. Heck of a coach who would do really well there but some of BBN would probably flip their shit.
Pearl isn’t the guy for the job. He’s a good coach but the fans aren’t wanting somebody to go shirtless into the student section. We want somebody that thinks about basketball like a business they’re trying to monopolize.

Those years are locked in the history books. The more recent ones are changeable, at least in terms of who’s causing the current chaos.

Sure but there is a risk associated with canning the guy and you certainly aren’t going to do it before the season is over anyways so let it play out and try to enjoy the season until then.

I was arguing this all last year and it came out alright on the end.

At least wait until the end of January before melting down. But yes BBN. Should have thought of that before I ever posted ITT

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Sure but there is a risk associated with canning the guy and you certainly aren’t going to do it before the season is over anyways so let it play out and try to enjoy the season until then.

I was arguing this all last year and it came out alright on the end.
Hubert is a GREAT example. The reason I’m willing to roll the dice on a fresh look. Scheyer may be the same. Time will tell.

Sure but you need it to be a former player for the guy to have any chance to build a program at UK. Otherwise he will get eaten alive.
Yeah, it’s odd; I was sitting here thinking “What former player wants the job? They were probably criticized too at some point.”

Pearl?
Yeah, throw big money at the names you listed and hope they come….

If you don’t land em you are going to be taking a risk regardless. It’s why Kentucky will probably wait on firing Calipari unless shit truly hits the fans

He has a lottery pick playing for him right now in Keyonte George. UK recruits itself.
No doubt. But as Cal has proved recently, recruiting isn’t everything. Gotta get it to mesh on the court.

Yeah, the options are really pretty slim. I think Tommy Lloyd has a chance to be good. I like the way he plays and he has a good pedigree being Few's assistant for 20 years. It's tough to tell right now which younger guys will separate from the pack and prove themselves to be among the upper echelon but it's bound to happen soon. Wright was my top choice for a long time, before they hired Gillispie or Cal. He was also approached by UK to interview on both of those occasions, and he declined.

Yeah, it’s odd; I was sitting here thinking “What former player wants the job? They were probably criticized too at some point.”
No former UK player is worthy of the job unless Pat Riley intends to come out of retirement. 😂 Ford would take it in a heartbeat and he's a smug little prick that could definitely take the heat, but he's not a good coach. Mark Pope would probably be the best option, and that isn't saying much.

Yeah, the options are really pretty slim. I think Tommy Lloyd has a chance to be good. I like the way he plays and he has a good pedigree being Few's assistant for 20 years. It's tough to tell right now which younger guys will separate from the pack and prove themselves to be among the upper echelon but it's bound to happen soon. Wright was my top choice for a long time, before they hired Gillispie or Cal. He was also approached by UK to interview on both of those occasions, and he declined.
Damn, guess Wright was just gonna be a lifer at Nova regardless then.

Forreal though, next couple years will be when the young coaches start separating. Only 2 young coaches I can even think of in the B1G are Strewsberry at Penn St and Holtmann at Ohio St.

Lloyd is an interesting one but he’s only been at Zona 2 years now. Has he shown enough to be worth hiring yet?

If not, best options might just be poaching from other SEC schools with Pearl, Oats, and Musselman…

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Damn, guess Wright was just gonna be a lifer at Nova regardless then.

Forreal though, next couple years will be when the young coaches start separating. Only 2 young coaches I can even think of in the B1G are Strewsberry at Penn St and Holtmann at Ohio St.

Lloyd is an interesting one but he’s only been at Zona 2 years now. Has he shown enough to be worth hiring yet?

If not, best options might just be poaching from other SEC schools with Pearl, Oats, and Musselman…
I like Holtmann too although he might be a notch below others I've mentioned as far as the order on my wish list. A lot of people think he would be high on UK's list just because he was born and raised in Lexington and grew up a UK fan and I assume he would jump at the opportunity. So, he would understand as well as anyone about the fish bowl that is UK basketball.

We are probably more anxious and less patient than most fan bases. But let’s stop with this narrative we haven’t been patient with Cal. He’s been trending downward for 6 years and the seventh isn’t off to a great start. Are we crazy for wanting something to change or do we recognize there is a problem that can’t continue if we want to win?

I’m not pushing that narrative. I don’t blame anybody for wanting change. But you have to be realistic about it. Is it realistic to expect them to pony up 60 mil to get a new coach next year, and for that new coach to be significantly more successful than Calipari?

I’m not pushing that narrative. I don’t blame anybody for wanting change. But you have to be realistic about it. Is it realistic to expect them to pony up 60 mil to get a new coach next year, and for that new coach to be significantly more successful than Calipari?
For the first couple of seasons I’d be happy with equal to Cal’s results these last few seasons.

One thing I kind of worry about is when Cal retires and takes the cushy job at UK, I'm afraid he'll have a hand in our next coach.
Calipari doesn't have the best track record of assistant coaches becoming successful.

Hopefully he'll push for Kenny payne

GIF by Brett Eldredge

You joke but he pushed for Barbee to take over memphis when he left. So i wouldn’t doubt.

And the worst part is Mitch Barnhardt is an absolute bumpkin and cal is still a fantastic salesman. Scary.

That’s why it would be a good idea for UK brass to oust barnhardt and get someone in there with a spine before Cal hangs it up.

Last edited:
You joke but he pushed for Barbee to take over memphis when he left. So i wouldn’t doubt.

And the worst part is Mitch Barnhardt is an absolute bumpkin and cal is still a fantastic salesman. Scary.

That’s why it would be a good idea for UK brass to oust barnhardt and get someone in there with a spine before Cal hangs it up.

Im not joking

Payne is a disaster and theyve only played 8 games.

I cant take two more years of this.

Maybe caliperi will move to AD.
He'd probably hire Holtman from OSU. He's from metro Lexington.

Depends. Baylor only pays him around $3.5 million. Cal currently makes almost three times that. Drew wouldn't be at the top of my list though.
If you retire Cal (with his contract you sure as hell can't afford to fire him) who do you hire that would be better?

Cal is a good coach; however, he thinks he is smarter than most and apparently will not listen to others.

I have not given up on Cal but his modus operandi needs to change. He needs to take a little advise instead of giving it. He needs to try to win games instead of trying not to lose them. St. Peters, Michigan State and Gonzaga are perfect examples.

Cal needs to turn his players loose. It does no good to get great players if you don't let them play. You sure as hell don't want to throttle them, you give them authority to be great. Late in tight games Cal tries to micromanage his team instead of letting them play. It is just like in business, if you have a good employee you let him have the authority to be great or to fail. If you micromanage him/her all lose. One must have faith in his "team".

Last edited:
If there was any chance Jay Wright or Billy Donovan would come to Kentucky those should be 1A and 1B without even thinking. Both immediate upgrades.
Jay Wright wouldn’t retire at Nova just to come back for UK.

Maybe Donovan, but he has a pretty good gig.

Jay Wright wouldn’t retire at Nova just to come back for UK.

Maybe Donovan, but he has a pretty good gig.
I have jimbo on ignore so I don't know what he said; however, I don't want to ever, ever see Jay Wright or Billy Donovan at UK. NEVER! EVER!

Neither would know how to handle an established program. They had success at schools that never was until they won some games. They could not handle the pressure when you are expected to win.

Let Donovan go back to Florida or Marshall. I don't want to watch Jay Wright basketball. It is horrible.

I have jimbo on ignore so I don't know what he said; however, I don't want to ever, ever see Jay Wright or Billy Donovan at UK. NEVER! EVER!

Neither would know how to handle an established program. They had success at schools that never was until they won some games. They could not handle the pressure when you are expected to win.

Let Donovan go back to Florida or Marshall. I don't want to watch Jay Wright basketball. It is horrible.
Wright won two national titles in the last 5 years with lesser talent. If he would want to go to UK you would absolutely have to take him. You wouldn’t get a better option.

ADVERTISEMENT