ADVERTISEMENT

Loudest Contingent of UK Fans Want Calipari Out

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Their fans are spoiled and need a reality check. Kentucky is a talented team and can make a run. They lost to two top 10 teams, with one being on the road.

Give it time. They'll be beating their chests again within two weeks. 🤣

Reactions: JonBuckley
I’m not sure who UK could/should go after, but I’ve stated before a high school coach can go out and lose the big games just as efficiently as Cal is. It would have to be somebody more than a decent coach. They have to have a hide on them too.

If there was any chance Jay Wright or Billy Donovan would come to Kentucky those should be 1A and 1B without even thinking. Both immediate upgrades.

If there was any chance Jay Wright or Billy Donovan would come to Kentucky those should be 1A and 1B without even thinking. Both immediate upgrades.
If there was a can't miss , hot shot younger coach out there Cal would be gone. Billy G was given 2 seasons before getting the boot. Cal was on fire hot back in 08. There isn't really anyone like that right now. That is why I am nervous about Bill retiring. Bill was the most obvious choice in 04. But today, there isn't any obvious choices, maybe musselman, maybe. KU would probably go after Aaron Miles who is an assistant for Boston Celtics. UK is stuck with Cal for a couple years.

I don't think UK makes the FF this year or next. and if that happens he has to be out right?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

If there was a can't miss , hot shot younger coach out there Cal would be gone. Billy G was given 2 seasons before getting the boot. Cal was on fire hot back in 08. There isn't really anyone like that right now. That is why I am nervous about Bill retiring. Bill was the most obvious choice in 04. But today, there isn't any obvious choices, maybe musselman, maybe. KU would probably go after Aaron Miles who is an assistant for Boston Celtics. UK is stuck with Cal for a couple years.

I don't think UK makes the FF this year or next. and if that happens he has to be out right?

Why are people ignoring the fact that Calipari's buyout is 50+ million? Just more than anyone's EVER paid to fire a coach, that's all.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

I’d have to think so. I think if our administration doesn’t have the balls to do it, things may be so hostile at that point Cal just leaves himself.

Why are people ignoring the fact that Calipari's buyout is 50+ million? Just more than anyone's EVER paid to fire a coach, that's all.
Let’s be honest, money is the last worry for UK right now. It’s a lot of money but if Kentucky knew it had a better coach in the waiting, it would happen.

Let’s be honest, money is the last worry for UK right now. It’s a lot of money but if Kentucky knew it had a better coach in the waiting, it would happen.

50+ mil buyout AND a huge contract for a new coach. Plus the risk of losing the best recruiting class you've had in awhile. Man, you'd have to REALLY want to get rid of that dude.

Pretty hard to see that happening to a HOFer who's had only one truly bad year and has a great incoming class. And think about the message that sends to the next coach.

Their fans are spoiled and need a reality check. Kentucky is a talented team and can make a run. They lost to two top 10 teams, with one being on the road.
No reality check needed. MSU is not a top 10 team. That’s a game UK should’ve won by 10 points, and would have except for the dude calling the shots. I’ve watched this $hit long enough to understand Cal ain’t that dude

It would be highly questionable to hire a coach without extensive experience in CBB in this day and age. Any coach now needs to know NIL front to back as well as college recruiting. Just bc Miles and Vaughn played at Kansas......doesnt give them any advantage in my opinion.

This type of commentary/conversation is becoming increasingly common.
I hate all this broken give up talk. UK needs to fall back and draw a defensive line around Paducah. You can put the Ohio and Tennessee river on your flanks, I have never heard of a CBB program with amphibious landing capabilities, you'll be safe. You should be able to hold indefinitely.

Everyone has always known that Paducah is the key to Kentucky. The Romans knew it, the Carthaginians knew it and now you know it.

Oh yeah and Barnes knows it. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: keith37
It would be highly questionable to hire a coach without extensive experience in CBB in this day and age. Any coach now needs to know NIL front to back as well as college recruiting. Just bc Miles and Vaughn played at Kansas......doesnt give them any advantage in my opinion.
I think most colleges are taking the NIL off the coaching. I know UK has created an administration for this. A UK coach needs to be coach, recruit, routinely get to the sweet 16 and higher and definitely know how to cater to this fanbase. Yeah, BBN is a spoiled bunch. I wouldn't have it any other way :) You do that and the coach and players become legends in the state and life possibilities open up.

Which would UK prefer to lose, the fanbase or a non-expectations meeting Coach? You get BBN pissed off and you have a problem. Tubby got a dose of BBN, Billy G couldn't drink his way through it, and CBS now complies with our demand when televising a UK game. Cal has been throwing the ball to BBN's court in a bad way. BBN says "you want to play, ok lets play".

50+ mil buyout AND a huge contract for a new coach. Plus the risk of losing the best recruiting class you've had in awhile. Man, you'd have to REALLY want to get rid of that dude.

Pretty hard to see that happening to a HOFer who's had only one truly bad year and has a great incoming class. And think about the message that sends to the next coach.
Money is the weakest factor of all the things you mentioned. Though the other points are accurate.

I mean, would you guys take his latest results and be fine with them? Serious question. Start after 2015. We’ve been to 0 final fours, two Elite Eights, and gone 3 straight seasons with no tournament wins. Is that acceptable? Not to mention, stuff like this is popping up on a daily basis. There is legit growing beef between Cal and UK fans/media.

I will say it again. If UK knew it could get someone better (not sure if there honestly is that would actually take the job) they’d move on. Assuming this year continues to disappoint.

Money is the weakest factor of all the things you mentioned. Though the other points are accurate.

I mean, would you guys take his latest results and be fine with them? Serious question. Start after 2015. We’ve been to 0 final fours, two Elite Eights, and gone 3 straight seasons with no tournament wins. Is that acceptable? Not to mention, stuff like this is popping up on a daily basis. There is legit growing beef between Cal and UK fans/media.

I will say it again. If UK knew it could get someone better (not sure if there honestly is that would actually take the job) they’d move on. Assuming this year continues to disappoint.

"We just paid 60 million for your ass, and if you don't recruit at a really high level and win big immediately, the pitchforks are coming!"

Yeesh. I don't know how many people are going to leave a good position for that. And I doubt that Wright is coming back to coaching any time soon.

I wouldn't be satisfied with what he's done lately, and frankly I've never thought he was a very good Xs and Os guy, but that's a little bit of a disingenuous argument. Nobody won any tourney games in 2020. And last year was a good season with a rough ending. Like I said, there's only been one truly bad year, and he has one of his best classes coming next year.

I would force him to make some changes and bring in some new assistants.

It will be hard maybe even impossible to get a better coach right now. However the results likely wouldn't be much worse than the last few years. So we are better off keeping Cal.

Most fans know this but are wanting to get rid of him because of things like Jimbo's last post. He constantly mocks the fans, media, etc.... He is like the cbb version of Trump.

"We just paid 60 million for your ass, and if you don't recruit at a really high level and win big immediately, the pitchforks are coming!"

Yeesh. I don't know how many people are going to leave a good position for that. And I doubt that Wright is coming back to coaching any time soon.

I wouldn't be satisfied with what he's done lately, and frankly I've never thought he was a very good Xs and Os guy, but that's a little bit of a disingenuous argument. Nobody won any tourney games in 2020. And last year was a good season with a rough ending. Like I said, there's only been one truly bad year, and he has one of his best classes coming next year.

I would force him to make some changes and bring in some new assistants.
We are probably more anxious and less patient than most fan bases. But let’s stop with this narrative we haven’t been patient with Cal. He’s been trending downward for 6 years and the seventh isn’t off to a great start. Are we crazy for wanting something to change or do we recognize there is a problem that can’t continue if we want to win?

Cal said a couple of things in his post pressure. We need to run the dribble drive with our shooters staying in the corners and we need to set screens with hard cuts. I would like to see that lol. Neither is not that damn difficult.

CJ needs screens, or time from the corner. He's not a Grady type shooter. He can't run around trying to get himshelf open for 35 minutes a game. I think Reeves will come around. But dang, we missed way too many shots.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yes Duke, kansas ,unc, indiana are all doing better right now. But think of the bright side, at least louisville is having it worse than you!

I think the head coaching vacancy will open up after next season. Cal will give it one more run with his highly touted class and that will be it. He'll need to convince Oscar to come back again even to have a shot with that group though, imo. He is eligible to step down after next season to take his cushy "special assistant to the AD/university representative" job (i.e. do nothing) for $950K per year. That's where the lifetime part of his contract comes in. I think that's what he'll do. Or, he can stay beyond that and make $9M a year, but I don't see it happening. Money isn't everything and he's already got plenty of it.

I don't think .390 winning percentage is that far out of the norm for any team playing neutral/on the road against the top 25.

However, I do understand the frustration with regards to NCAAT performance/results. It probably has a lot to do with playing a bunch of underclassmen while your opponents are not.

I don't think .390 winning percentage is that far out of the norm for any team playing neutral/on the road against the top 25.

However, I do understand the frustration with regards to NCAAT performance/results. It probably has a lot to do with playing a bunch of underclassmen while your opponents are not.
To be fair, this is our oldest class in several years. 5 seniors, so youth can’t be an excuse anymore as much as @IUfanBorden hates it.

Reactions: UNC71-00
ADVERTISEMENT