ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like UK is going to poach CJ Fredrick

I can't see Fredrick coming to UK. His minutes would be downgraded. Cal is focused on Ty Ty Washington. Supposedly we're in good shape for him. Plus there's a few other guards we've offered. And 1 more big.
Depends, Fredrick has 3 years of eligibility left and maybe he wouldn't mind coming off the bench. Hopefully Cal's days of leaving 2-3 scholarships unused are over. He needs to fill those slots, if anything else to make practices competitive rather than just filling the bench with useless walk-ons that don't make anyone better.

I can't see Fredrick coming to UK. His minutes would be downgraded. Cal is focused on Ty Ty Washington. Supposedly we're in good shape for him. Plus there's a few other guards we've offered. And 1 more big.
Cal is friends with some of fredericks relatives. That and CJ being good enough to play anywhere are the main reasons it’s happening.

Fredrick thought he earned the right not to get recruited over but not the way it works in the big ten Iowa has 3 *** Payton Sandfordt who 6'7" shots 60% from 3

/gil

Reactions: cmore79
Wait, there was this much smoke and he wasn’t in the transfer portal yet? I don’t think schools are supposed to recruit guys until they enter the portal but I guess they’re all getting around that with “back channels.” A lot of schools seem to be doing it, and I’m not sure how you can really police it.

Wait, there was this much smoke and he wasn’t in the transfer portal yet? I don’t think schools are supposed to recruit guys until they enter the portal but I guess they’re all getting around that with “back channels.” A lot of schools seem to be doing it, and I’m not sure how you can really police it.
When does tampering become...tampering? Is a players AAU coach talking to a school tampering? Parents? Or does it have to be the kid talking to the staff directly?

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
When does tampering become...tampering? Is a players AAU coach talking to a school tampering? Parents? Or does it have to be the kid talking to the staff directly?

I wonder if the NCAA pondered these questions when they voted to change the rule. I doubt it.

That’s a tough one to answer, which is why it would be so hard to police it. I guess if a school is reaching out to anyone in the players camp to “get their temperature” before they enter the portal, I personally would view that as tampering. Though I’d guess it usually works in reverse in practice, where the players old AAU coach is probably shopping the player to get the potential schools’ temperature.

I wonder if the NCAA pondered these questions when they voted to change the rule. I doubt it.

That’s a tough one to answer, which is why it would be so hard to police it. I guess if a school is reaching out to anyone in the players camp to “get their temperature” before they enter the portal, I personally would view that as tampering. Though I’d guess it usually works in reverse in practice, where the players old AAU coach is probably shopping the player to get the potential schools’ temperature.
If I was a parent and my kid was thinking about transferring, I would want my ducks in a row and try to talk to the staff of the school he would like to transfer to for fear of him putting his name in the portal without his desired home to go to. Which would possibly lead to him spending another year at a school that he might not be sold on.

Give me the HS class over the transfer class. I’ll take the upside.

If we're talking simply about the upcoming season, I might take Gonzaga or Duke's class over Michigan's. Both have two guys ranked ahead of Caleb Houstan. Long-term, Michigan should clearly have the edge as they should have several talented prospects staying multiple years. Comparing that to a potential class of Oscar Tshiebwe, Kellan Grady, and CJ Frederick would be interesting. Tshiebwe was 2nd Team All Big-12 in 2020 - and he certainly has All-American potential. Grady has been 1st Team All-Conference twice. Either one of those guys could easily be a top 30 player in college basketball next season. Frederick is one of the better 3-point shooters in college basketball. Those three would make for a stellar transfer class.

Kentucky would have a much higher floor, but yes, you can make a reasonable argument that Michigan, Gonzaga, and Duke all have higher ceilings.

Reactions: sgrooms
Not sure how to feel about the transfer rule. It gives you the option to take a bad team and make it good, but I think it really benefits the elite that go after 1 and dones. It allows they to continue to recruit them, then plug the holes when they leave

If we're talking simply about the upcoming season, I might take Gonzaga or Duke's class over Michigan's. Both have two guys ranked ahead of Caleb Houstan. Long-term, Michigan should clearly have the edge as they should have several talented prospects staying multiple years. Comparing that to a potential class of Oscar Tshiebwe, Kellan Grady, and CJ Frederick would be interesting. Tshiebwe was 2nd Team All Big-12 in 2020 - and he certainly has All-American potential. Grady has been 1st Team All-Conference twice. Either one of those guys could easily be a top 30 player in college basketball next season. Frederick is one of the better 3-point shooters in college basketball. Those three would make for a stellar transfer class.

Kentucky would have a much higher floor, but yes, you can make a reasonable argument that Michigan, Gonzaga, and Duke all have higher ceilings.

Yup, that’s a sweet transfer class. I still wouldn’t trade all three of those guys for Hunter Dickinson. The upside of an elite freshman is too tantalizing.

Not sure how to feel about the transfer rule. It gives you the option to take a bad team and make it good, but I think it really benefits the elite that go after 1 and dones. It allows they to continue to recruit them, then plug the holes when they leave
tenor.gif

We want Antigua back more than anything.

I’d take him back as an assistant over landing the top rated player in the class and not think twice about it.
You should want him. When do you guys think some movement is going to happen on this? We all figured he was leaving for a HC gig after next year so him leaving would not be a complete shock to the system. Apparently that is what he is REALLY wanting to do again.

Oscar
Grady
Fredrick
One more maybe?

Other than a select few I'll take that over pretty much any freshman.

Wasn’t too long ago Cal was against Grad Transfers, or at least had a problem with them when we landed Lee and Lewis the same offseason, but he’s seemed to have changed his stance on the transfers. I know only Grady is a GT, but the point is the same if the others don’t have to sit.

What

Is this the kid from Lex? Or was that roids ain’t. What Position does he play?

Edit: how the hell can autocorrect chance toussaint to roids aint smh

Last edited:
We want Antigua back more than anything.

I’d take him back as an assistant over landing the top rated player in the class and not think twice about it.

Wonder why he struggled so much at USF? Serious question, no troll, he seems to be a great assistant.

Wonder why he struggled so much at USF? Serious question, no troll, he seems to be a great assistant.
It's USF.

Some are just meant to be an assistant, and right now that seems to be the case. Fortunately for him and which ever team gets him, he's a great assistant and one of the best recruiters.

It's USF.

Some are just meant to be an assistant, and right now that seems to be the case. Fortunately for him and which ever team gets him, he's a great assistant and one of the best recruiters.

Great point lol, but I mean Antiqua crashed and burned there pretty quick. Maybe better as an assistant, who knows.

I figured he would be a pretty good HC when USF got him I thought it was a good hire.

Wasn’t aware of his brother or any problems there.

And y’all keep saying it’s USF, but you do realize the career path for most Young coaches right? Grad assistant, low level assistant, top level assistant, Then usually mid major HC. And it’s not always the top mid majors looking for coaches although it is sometimes. But I guess sometimes guys do jump from assistant to a big time HC like zona and unc new coaches.

But I mean why even take the job if it was doomed from the start. I don’t remember all the openings and new hires the year he was hired, but when you got coaches winning big (Houston final four) in that conference, it doesn’t seem like an impossible task. And I know Houston has boatloads more tradition, but even UCF was more relevant during the time frame, and it’s not like they are playing in a 1 bid league every season. Memphis, cincy, Houston, it isn’t exactly the OVC.

Last edited:
It's looking like Antigua for sure.

We getting the band back together.
He’s a great coach and seems like a great dude. Congrats to you guys if/when it happens. It’s part of college basketball, always need to have a short list of replacements handy. But don’t take chin away from us too. That would just be rude.

ADVERTISEMENT