ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like one and done is getting kicked down the road

JRMSU

Gold Member
Nov 4, 2001
Talks stalled, likely won’t get picked back up until 2025. Ton of issues between NBPA and NBA and this doesn’t even make the first page.

Will Emoni Bates decide to take his services to the G League for his one mandatory year of enslavement before the NBA or will he play at MSU, Duke or UK?

That's my takeaway here. SmokinSmile:p:D

Will Emoni Bates decide to take his services to the G League for his one mandatory year of enslavement before the NBA or will he play at MSU, Duke or UK?

I think he skips his senior year of HS. Which would mean he’d have to go to college for a year and then he gets to go to the NBA draft on time as opposed to having to do the G league thing for a year beforehand.

G league has the same collectively bargained age floor that the NBA has. So he can’t reclassify and then go G league. It would be college or overseas. And throwing a 16-17 year old overseas ain’t the smartest idea.

Not trying to be that guy, but I think most close to the program think it’s MSU or pros. He’s been a huge fan since he was young, and he’s been at essentially every home game since he was in 8th grade. He’s also just close with a ton of guys from the program. I’d give it like an 85% chance he goes straight to the pros, 10% to MSU, and 5% anywhere else at this point.

It’s still wayyyy too early to tell, and things could change in his recruitment for sure, but needless to say this kid special. NPOY as a Sophomore in high school over Cade Cunningham. He’s a once in a generation talent.

Not trying to be that guy, but I think most close to the program think it’s MSU or pros. He’s been a huge fan since he was young, and he’s been at essentially every home game since he was in 8th grade. He’s also just close with a ton of guys from the program. I’d give it like an 85% chance he goes straight to the pros, 10% to MSU, and 5% anywhere else at this point.

It’s still wayyyy too early to tell, and things could change in his recruitment for sure, but needless to say this kid special. NPOY as a Sophomore in high school over Cade Cunningham. He’s a once in a generation talent.
Yeah, people get sick of hype trains building for every player but I legitimately think he might be the best basketball player ever scouted. That doesn't mean he"ll be for sure as good as advertised and perform like Zion or KD as freshmen, but you can reasonably say he has a shot without sounding foolish.

I don't think he can go pro to the NBA based on this recent news so he"ll have to decide if the G League is worth it over getting incredible exposure at a top college basketball program.

I think for him, it makes a lot more sense to do 1 year at college since there's virtually no chance he's not the #1 pick and going to a Duke or UK is better from a "brand" standpoint since he"ll be on TV 24/7 and hyped by the media. I doubt ESPN is going to hype up the G League regardless.

I've seen this move about MSU being the "perceived leader" for a recruit like Okafor, Jabari Parker, Anthony Davis, etc. etc. but they always end up losing to Duke or UK. Neither of those schools have put the full court press recruiting wise on Bates yet but if they do, they"ll be in the mix for sure no matter how strong his ties are to MSU.

Yeah, people get sick of hype trains building for every player but I legitimately think he might be the best basketball player ever scouted. That doesn't mean he"ll be for sure as good as advertised and perform like Zion or KD as freshmen, but you can reasonably say he has a shot without sounding foolish.

I don't think he can go pro to the NBA based on this recent news so he"ll have to decide if the G League is worth it over getting incredible exposure at a top college basketball program.

I think for him, it makes a lot more sense to do 1 year at college since there's virtually no chance he's not the #1 pick and going to a Duke or UK is better from a "brand" standpoint since he"ll be on TV 24/7 and hyped by the media. I doubt ESPN is going to hype up the G League regardless.

I've seen this move about MSU being the "perceived leader" for a recruit like Okafor, Jabari Parker, Anthony Davis, etc. etc. but they always end up losing to Duke or UK. Neither of those schools have put the full court press recruiting wise on Bates yet but if they do, they"ll be in the mix for sure no matter how strong his ties are to MSU.
This other guys had no real connection to MSU besides being Midwest kids. Bates has a much stronger connection the actual program. I don’t know how much he wants to play college ball, I could definitely see him taking the G League route.

It would be the most devastating recruitment in MSU history if he goes another. We have been pushing hard since he was in middle school. MSU is also no Oklahoma State, we host game days annually, we’re easily a top 10 program right now.

Unless unforeseen injuries happen, he’s going to be like LeBron coming out. The hype train is already rolling and he’s a Sophomore. I think whatever school Emoni goes to will get 24/7 media coverage. He is that good.

So while I agree Duke and UK typically get more media exposure than MSU, it’s not like he’s a top 10 kid, he’s the best college basketball prospect we’ve seen in, maybe ever? LeBron wasn’t winning this stuff as a Sophomore. Not to say he’ll be LeBron, but you get the picture. I think the hype will follow him, he won’t have to worry about it.

Emoni Bates is one player who does not need college basketball for exposure. He's been talked about for over a year now and will continue to be talked about and will be the #1 pick no matter which way he chooses

Reactions: MGC_07
giphy.gif

I feel like going to Duke or Kentucky for exposure makes a difference for a top 10-15ish recruit. What you say is true for them if that’s what they want. But for somebody who is thought of as a top 5 recruit ever it doesn’t matter. No matter where he goes he will be the bigger story than the program that season.

I feel like going to Duke or Kentucky for exposure makes a difference for a top 10-15ish recruit. What you say is true for them if that’s what they want. But for somebody who is thought of as a top 5 recruit ever it doesn’t matter. No matter where he goes he will be the bigger story than the program that season.
I don't know about that, top 5 recruits come almost every year to Duke/UK/KU and they don't typically overshadow the entire team. Zion and Jabari Parker did for Duke, Wiggins did for Kansas, John Wall and Anthony David did for UK.

All the other top 5 recruits kind of just fit with the team/program and aren't singled out because usually our teams have upperclassmen that are just as good as those freshmen.

Josh Jackson didn't really overshadow Frank Mason, Brandon Ingram/Jayson Tatum weren't covered more than Allen/Kennard, Julius Randle didn't really get hyped up over the Harrison twins, etc. etc.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I don't know about that, top 5 recruits come almost every year to Duke/UK/KU and they don't typically overshadow the entire team. Zion and Jabari Parker did for Duke, Wiggins did for Kansas, John Wall and Anthony David did for UK.

All the other top 5 recruits kind of just fit with the team/program and aren't singled out because usually our teams have upperclassmen that are just as good as those freshmen.

Josh Jackson didn't really overshadow Frank Mason, Brandon Ingram/Jayson Tatum weren't covered more than Allen/Kennard, Julius Randle didn't really get hyped up over the Harrison twins, etc. etc.
There’s normally not much difference between a top 5 and a top 10 recruit.

And it sounds like agree with me that Bates will be THE story wherever he goes considering those other super recruits were also the bigger story than their teams were.

He was talking top 5, ever, not just his class.

Reactions: MSU1986
Will be shocked if he plays college basketball any other place besides MSU. Just watched a video of one of his recent workouts and his workout partner was Gabe Brown, MSU small forward. Connection to the program is deep.

Will be shocked if he plays college basketball any other place besides MSU. Just watched a video of one of his recent workouts and his workout partner was Gabe Brown, MSU small forward. Connection to the program is deep.
In the middle of our season, Cassius, Marcus, Rocket, and Henry decided to go see him play because he always goes and sees them play.

I and many over others would be extremely disappointed if he plays college ball somewhere else.

Reactions: JRMSU
In the middle of our season, Cassius, Marcus, Rocket, and Henry decided to go see him play because he always goes and sees them play.

I and many over others would be extremely disappointed if he plays college ball somewhere else.

he’s been to more MSU games than 90% of MSU fans. And is best friends with two of our current players who would still be on the team.

Sounds like we might have quite the meltdown if Bates goes someplace other than Michigan State. I think I can speak for most of the people on Rivals when I say I hope to watch it happen someday.
Oh it would be, but MSU would have a legit reason for it. Everything they said is true and more. The kid loves MSU. If he can make some money in the G league though, like some are starting to be able to, he should go there.

All that said, I'm in for the meltdown.

Oh it would be, but MSU would have a legit reason for it. Everything they said is true and more. The kid loves MSU. If he can make some money in the G league though, like some are starting to be able to, he should go there.

All that said, I'm in for the meltdown.
UK had a close call with Terrence Clarke. I would have melted down if he took Gleague money. Boston will probably be our best recruit, but I think Clarke will end up having a higher ceiling, but wtf do I know, I thought Kahlil Whitney was going to be our best player last season.

Jalen Green got offered $500K right? Can't blame Bates if he does the same in the future if the offer is similar.

Sounds like we might have quite the meltdown if Bates goes someplace other than Michigan State. I think I can speak for most of the people on Rivals when I say I hope to watch it happen someday.
There would be no meltdown if he went to the NBA or G league. I think the fanbase would be disappointed, but it’s understandable

If he goes to a Duke or UK, there would be a meltdown. It’s like the nice guy trying to get a really hot girl by being her best friend and buying her things, but then a professional athlete comes in and swoops her.

There would be no meltdown if he went to the NBA or G league. I think the fanbase would be disappointed, but it’s understandable

If he goes to a Duke or UK, there would be a meltdown. It’s like the nice guy trying to get a really hot girl by being her best friend and buying her things, but then a professional athlete comes in and swoops her.
200.gif

Kidding as far as I know UK isn't even recruiting him.

Jalen Green got offered $500K right? Can't blame Bates if he does the same in the future if the offer is similar.
My understanding is he wouldn’t be able to go GLeague until after he stayed in high school for 4 years due to age requirement. Quickest way to the nba is graduating in three and going one year to college.

Reactions: JRMSU
My understanding is he wouldn’t be able to go GLeague until after he stayed in high school for 4 years due to age requirement. Quickest way to the nba is graduating in three and going one year to college.
My understanding, they just have to be 18 to be able to participate in a legal contract.

No NCAA rules apply here, they can freak right off. It's a legal man and an employer. No different than any other job for any other profession, except, don't expect to play NCAA baskeball as you gave up your amateurism.

I feel like the G League thing is a huge risk. Why go play against better competition that are fighting for the same sort of spot you are when you can go and dominate at the college level? I can see it for the 500,000 but that is small compared to legit NBA contracts that you could lose to some degree if you fail.

Reactions: jhmossy
G-League won't get as much exposure as college basketball players would. Plus, you're likely to get exposed more in that league by going up against better competition. That could lead to a drop in the draft. Hell, even a 1 spot drop is worth more than 500k. But I also can't fault a kid for getting paid 500k to play basketball for a year. I honestly don't think this will be that big of a threat to the NCAA. It'll just keep more of these players in the US instead of going international.

Who are his two best friends that will still need there
Rocket, Marcus, Gabe. A lot of the Michigan kids we have. He’s assuming Emoni reclassifies to 2021. Possibly Henry but we’ll see if he stays after next year.

I’m not sure which 2 specifically. I do know him and Gabe Brown grew up in the same town and workout together outside. But they other guys all go to his games during the season. He’s tight with the whole team

Rocket, Marcus, Gabe. A lot of the Michigan kids we have. He’s assuming Emoni reclassifies to 2021. Possibly Henry but we’ll see if he stays after next year.

I’m not sure which 2 specifically. I do know him and Gabe Brown grew up in the same town and workout together outside. But they other guys all go to his games during the season. He’s tight with the whole team

Was just curious who he meant by two best friends

I has heard rumors of Apple Jackson handling Emoni Bates recruitment, I'd bet Lil Penny is up in his ear everyday on some stealth messaging app!

60% Duke
50% UK
5% Memphis
1% MSU
= 116% - I know is doesn't add up but either does Izzo's explanations about protecting abusers/sexual assaulter s...........

I has heard rumors of Apple Jackson handling Emoni Bates recruitment, I'd bet Lil Penny is up in his ear everyday on some stealth messaging app!

60% Duke
50% UK
5% Memphis
1% MSU
= 116% - I know is doesn't add up but either does Izzo's explanations about protecting abusers/sexual assaulter s...........
Don't drink and post. You look like a bafoon

Reactions: MGC_07 and MSU1986

Thought this was pretty funny re the G League:

as soon as the 1 n done rule s gone the better. then maybe College BB can get some normalcy back.

let these kids that think they are so great find out that they aren't the better, then they will start going to college to play and stay there.

ADVERTISEMENT