ADVERTISEMENT

looking at Iowa next season with out Cook

nitewing

Sep 19, 2017
just spit ballin here as I doubt he leaves but in case he does. these look to be possible replacements
JR 6'8 Pemsl 16.8 mpg, 5.8 ppg, 137 total rebounds, 46 assists, 41 TO, 6 steals and 10 blocks shooting 56.6% from the field, 64.8% from the FTL and 0% from 3.
SO 7'0 Nunge 16.1 mpg, 5.9 ppg, 89 rebounds, 34 assists, 30 TO, 21 steals and 25 blocks shooting 45.1% from the field, 75.6% from the FTL. and 33.9% from 3.

which would you start?

just spit ballin here as I doubt he leaves but in case he does. these look to be possible replacements
JR 6'8 Pemsl 16.8 mpg, 5.8 ppg, 137 total rebounds, 46 assists, 41 TO, 6 steals and 10 blocks shooting 56.6% from the field, 64.8% from the FTL and 0% from 3.
SO 7'0 Nunge 16.1 mpg, 5.9 ppg, 89 rebounds, 34 assists, 30 TO, 21 steals and 25 blocks shooting 45.1% from the field, 75.6% from the FTL. and 33.9% from 3.

which would you start?
Pemsl clearly

whothefook.jpg

Pemsl clearly
I like Pemsl too. but when I look at Cook's numbers
27.5 mpg, 15.3 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 213 total rebounds, 55 assists, 74 TO, 21 steals and 19 blocks. shooting 56.3% from the field, 66.9% from the FTL and 1-7 from 3.
Cook's production per minute is really not as good as I thought. with another summer Cook will improve. but he keeps talking about going to the NBA.

so I am preparing for it to happen, the plan is to use Nunge as a stretch 4 just like Uthoff. plus 6'11 Paine was by Lute, 7'1 Lohaus, 6'10 Bullard, 6'11 Koch were under Davis.

so this might be the case where Nunge gets the nod and Pemsl the backup at the 4.

this is why I put both players production and asked what I did.

also 7'0 Nunge and 6'11 Garza will give Fran his version of Twin Towers that Lute Olsen had twice with the 1st pair leading Iowa to a share of the BT Championship and then to the FF in 6'11 Waite and 6'11 Kraftcism.

You haven’t been to the sweet 16 this century. Iowa is bad.
the last coach that reached the sweet 16 was Davis in the 98-99 season and he was run off that year.

some of us call it the curse of Davis.

oh by the way the AD that ran him off is now the B12 Commisioner and look at how that is working out for the B12.

Iowa is awful a new coach would help matters
before Fran Iowa just had 3 winning season in the BT in 11 seasons, since Fran Iowa has had 5 straight .500+ seasons out of 7 seasons, yeah that's
a real terrible coach.

My guess for the starting lineup without Cook would be this:

PG Bohannon
SG Moss or Wieskamp, doesn't matter
SF Moss or Wieskamp, doesn't matter
PF Nunge
C Garza

With Cook it's the same except he plays PF instead of Nunge, obviously. Final note on this topic: There's rumors that he wants to play with the Porter brothers. News flash: They would be gone by the time Cook would be eligible. Aren't most players unhappy when the season doesn't go as planned? Until something actually comes out from the University of Iowa or people covering them, after the season is over, I refuse to believe this is of any substance and believe it is all talk.

I like that a team as bad as Iowa gets so much talk on this board. Makes me hopeful that one day I'll open up the site and find three threads about DePaul.

Take nitewing off our hands and you'll get your share of Depaul threads.

I've seen Gilligan post about this Nunge dude for like 3 years now and i still don't know what his first name is because he's never posted it. Hope his whole name is just Nunge. That'd be sweet.

Reactions: KisteK
I've seen Gilligan post about this Nunge dude for like 3 years now and i still don't know what his first name is because he's never posted it. Hope his whole name is just Nunge. That'd be sweet.
its Jack. never thought to mention it. and its pronounced Nun gee

here is my projected line up with heights
PG 6'0 Bohannon backup 6'5 Connor
SG 6'6 Wieskamp backup 6'7 Dailey
SF/WG 6'5 Moss backup 6'7 Baer
PF 7'0 Nunge backup 6'8 Pemsl
C 6'11 Garza backup 6'9 Kriener
off the bench
G 6'4 Ellingson
G 6'4 Fredrick
F 6'7 Wagner

if Cook is still here
6'9 Cook starts at the PF
Nunge slides done to the backup at Center
Kriener joins the other 3 coming off the bench as needed.

Iowa is 1 year removed from 3 straight NCAAT, 1 bad season does not= a bad team.
You guys are medicore. Just getting to tourney isnt anything. Wasnt one of them the First Four. Fran is living on borrowed time and the B10 was bad this year. It will be ascending back upwards the next couple of years. It will only get tougher for the poorer sisters.

You guys are medicore. Just getting to tourney isnt anything. Wasnt one of them the First Four. Fran is living on borrowed time and the B10 was bad this year. It will be ascending back upwards the next couple of years. It will only get tougher for the poorer sisters.
these were the 1st 6 seasons when their were just 2 4* players from 2013-2016
4-14 Fran's 1st season after taking over a team that had just 3 .500 or better finishes in 11 years, and a stretch where Iowa avg 13 BT Losses per seasons and 19 total losses
8-10
9-9 1st season with a pair of 4* FR
9-9 2nd seasons when they were SO
12-6 3rd season as JR
12-6 4th season as SR but they were the only 2 4*'s on the team and year 6 of Fran's tenure
10-8 4 FR starters 3 4*'s by ESPN
4-14 3 4* SO and 2 FR 4* with one out due to illnesses that put him into the hospital.
in the 18 season these are the 4* players
PG JR Bohannon
SG FR Wieskamp
WG JR Moss
PF JR Cook [if he does not leave]
C SO Garza
these could be the starters in the 18-19 season
PG FR Connor should be 100% and is the piece this years team was missing.

Bohannon was playing on a foot injury that limited his mobility and quickness, in the 1st 26 games he had just 11 steals in the last 5 games he had 10.

not only did the steals go up so did his defense and he was rebounding more and better.

getting Bohannon 100% and having a healthy 6'5 PG Connor will improve this team immensely as will has having 6 JR's and 3 SR's again this is what hurt Iowa has there was no senior to lead this young group.

Wiesmkamp will bring that solid 5th starter that also was missing, rated 42nd 4* by Rivals. that is not the makeup of a mediocre team.

Last edited:
the leader of this team will be Bohannon is in the top 10 all time in assists
he is in the top 10 all time in made 3 pointers

not to bad of a starting point. with these returning
Cook 15.3 ppg 6.9 rpg, 19 blocks and 21 steals before tonights game
Bohannon 13.2 ppg, 5.4 apg 21 steals before tonight stats are add
Garza 11.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg 11 steals and 32 blocks before tonight game
Moss 11.3 ppg, 21 steals and 10 blocks before tonight game,

that makes a nice 4 some to fill in with a couple key pieces like these
4* #42 SG Wieskamp
4* 4* PG Connor McCaffery

Fran has the nucleus and the incoming players to make this a very dangerous team going forward.

latest interview with Cook "says he has no intention of going to Missouri" so if he leaves it will be to the NBA.

I just don't think he is ready. leading te team in scoring @ 15+ ppg and rebounding @ 6.8 rpg is nice. it just was not dominating enough to show he is closely good enough at this stage to go to the NBA.

Fran Mccafery has been mediocre to bad
looking at next season this is the roster by ESPN Ratings
PF JR Cook should he return 4* #38 #8 best PF in his class
PG JR Bohannon just outside the top 100
SG/WG RSJR Moss just outside their top 100
PG RSFR Connor McCaffrey top 100
SG/WG FR Wieskamp #73 by ESPN and #42 by Rivals
C SO Garza top 100

that makes 6 4* players by ESPN and 4 by Rivals, that is not the recruiting of a mediocre coach.
2016-17 had 4 FR as starters
2017-18 3 SO's and 2 FR as there top 5 scorers, they were very young.
already in the19 class #30 by ESPN and #32 by Rival Patrick McCaffrey has already committed.

mediocre going Forward I doubt it. before Fran got here he had turned 3 losing Mid Major teams into NCAAT teams,he then took over a Iowa program that had JUST 3 WINNING SEASON in BT PLAY in the previous 11 seasons one of just 4 other coaches to accomplish the feat.

15 loss Fran is doing great. Don’t listen to the haters Nitewing keep him forever

its not the worst as he took over a program in 3 years of losing 19-16-22 games.
these are his 8 season breakdown
1st season 4-14 11-20 using Licks recruits 10th in the BT

2nd season 8-10 18-17 using Licks recruits 7th in the BT.

3rd season 9-9 25-13 this class had 2 top 100 recruits in a class of 5 which finished 6th, 2 of which transferred out starting lineup had 1 JR, 1 SO and 3 FR, these were results thru their SR year,

4th season 9-9 20-13 finished 6th,

5th season as JR 12-6 22-12 finished T3rd

6th season as SR 12-6 22-11 T3rd

7th season 4 FR started with 3 4* player by ESPN 10-8 19-15 T5th

8th season 2 more 4* players were added 4-14 14-19 with 3 SO and 2 FR as the top 5 scorers, with no seniors with major minutes.

9th season will have 6 4* players on the team barring Cook leaving.
making the lineup next year looking like this

4* JR 6'0 Bohannon
4* FR 6'6 Wieskamp
4* RSJR 6'5 Moss
4* JR 6'9 Cook
4* SO Garza
off the bench
4* PG 6'5 Connor
SF 6'7 RSSR Baer
utility player 6'7 JR Dailey
utility player 7' Nunge
F 6'7 SR Wagner
SG 6'4 RSSR Ellingson
F 6'8 JR Pemsl
F 6'9 JR Kriener
G 6'4 FR Fredrick

as his players get older the better they get,

Your argument for him not being a mediocre coach is his recruiting classes? Recruiting and coaching are 2 separate things. Butch Jones at UT was a hell of a recruiter but very very average as a coach, hence why he got fired. You bringing up the recruits Fran has gotten is just proving that he should be accomplishing more than he is...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT