ADVERTISEMENT

Look on the bright side Duke fans.

Eh…they have more than that. They signed the top 3 players in a single recruiting class and will probably get at least a couple key guys coming back. They’ll have their pick of transfers too.

It’s ultimately all gonna be about how good scheyer is though.

Oddly enough i still have more belief in scheyer over the long term than hubert davis. The turn around from the tar heels is remarkable though.

They hadn’t beaten a single team worth mentioning until the last game of the regular season and now they’re in the title game.

Last edited:
Oddly enough i still have more belief in scheyer over the long term than hubert davis. The turn around from the tar heels is remarkable though.

They hadn’t beaten a single team worth mentioning until the last game of the regular season and now they’re in the title game.
I feel that what Hubert Davis accomplished this season, is going to be immense pressure on Jon Scheyer next year. He’s not only going to be compared to coach K his predecessor, but also Hubert Davis who had a tremendous success in March as a first season coach. The peer pressure is going to be a nightmare.

If Davis won on Monday, anything less than a national title next season for Scheyer will be considered a failure and such expectation for a first year coach is brutal. On one hand, the great coach K couldn’t win it all so why should people expect Scheyer to do it in his first year? On the other hand, Hubert Davis does it with a much worse team, so what excuse Scheyer has for not getting it done?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Eh…they have more than that. They signed the top 3 players in a single recruiting class and will probably get at least a couple key guys coming back. They’ll have their pick of transfers too.

It’s ultimately all gonna be about how good scheyer is though.

I hope it was a clear tongue in cheek post. Also I agree in a sense about Scheyer, he's likable and has been taught by one of, if not the best. Not sure I'll jump on the bandwagon of being better than Davis. Sure he's younger so I guess "long term" could play out. Definitely something to watch moving forward as fans of the game.

I've heard K at least 3 times in post game interviews taking a page out of Cal's book....
We're a young team.
This is the youngest team I've ever had.
Blah, blah, blah....young.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Self's play book would be fake it until you make it.

Get it, his hair....my bad.

I'm trying too hard.

hiDYFV.gif

Noone makes jokes about Auburn losing in the FF. Just something BB's have to endure.

Heck our exit was so uneventfully barely anyone noticed.

The stats doesn't hurt at all. UK has scoreboard. Could be worse, we could be UL and hiding behind other teams.
How is that hiding behind teams when yall beat said teams.

oh yea and we got scoreboard, since its so much more important than advancing in the actual tourney to you.

You know ud flip flop the scores of both regular season games with unc and ku to still be playing, nice spin attempt i guess.

Reactions: Steelers2012
Gotta hurt when uk beat the two teams playing for the title by a combined what 50-60 pts lol talk about touching a nerve, ouch.
Yeah that is pretty hilarious. Kentucky can still win draft night I guess though. Since that’s all that matters

Reactions: Villian07
That one hurt. Not only bc we looked like we were okay (when Mark Williams stepped up to shoot those free throws I literally thought 'Okay, we are in a good place') and then it fell apart over just a few seconds, and not only bc I had to watch with my mother in law, but the reality of K being gone is tough. Have never had another coach during my Duke basketball life, so it is a VERY strange feeling. Might take a little while to figure out. I know most fans here haven't faced this (maybe, oddly enough, UNC fans after Dean left are the closest?) but... well, it is very strange.

Anyway... congrats to the Heels; wish it didn't happen that way but maybe there is some beauty in the fact that our biggest rivals played such a big part in K's last year.

We still need one more guard for next year. Gotta imagine Scheyer doesn't envision Jaden Schutt starting as a freshman. And I'm not confident that Wendell Moore or Trevor Keels are going to stick around. Our top 3 freshmen + Roach should start. Mitchell and Schutt off the bench.

Should have some solid options in the portal, though. Mark Sears and Nijel Pack might be decent, but they're similar in stature to Roach. Not a huge fan or playing two smaller guards together. Always creates lots of mismatches when we're defending.

We still need one more guard for next year. Gotta imagine Scheyer doesn't envision Jaden Schutt starting as a freshman. And I'm not confident that Wendell Moore or Trevor Keels are going to stick around. Our top 3 freshmen + Roach should start. Mitchell and Schutt off the bench.

Should have some solid options in the portal, though. Mark Sears and Nijel Pack might be decent, but they're similar in stature to Roach. Not a huge fan or playing two smaller guards together. Always creates lots of mismatches when we're defending.
Nijel Pack is a midget but really good, and I'm sure he'll only get better next year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
That one hurt. Not only bc we looked like we were okay (when Mark Williams stepped up to shoot those free throws I literally thought 'Okay, we are in a good place') and then it fell apart over just a few seconds, and not only bc I had to watch with my mother in law, but the reality of K being gone is tough. Have never had another coach during my Duke basketball life, so it is a VERY strange feeling. Might take a little while to figure out. I know most fans here haven't faced this (maybe, oddly enough, UNC fans after Dean left are the closest?) but... well, it is very strange.

Anyway... congrats to the Heels; wish it didn't happen that way but maybe there is some beauty in the fact that our biggest rivals played such a big part in K's last year.
Can’t imagine. Owned by your rival for life. I’d probably find a different sport to get into.

Can’t imagine. Owned by your rival for life. I’d probably find a different sport to get into.
I just hope to God that Kansas breaks their dick off inside of unc tonight. Losing to unc twice in those situations was bad. Having them win the title on top of that? Man, I am just sick to my stomach thinking about it.

It will be hard for Duke fans to see the bright side. They've lost to UNC, lost Coach K, and now they are about to lose Nolan Smith. They've taken triple Ls within the last 48 hrs, its brutal for any fanbase to swallow. Well, Id say it was even worse than 2018 UMBC embarrassment for UVA, only Louisville losing 2013 title was worse than what Duke is going through right now.

Do you see Roach as 100% returning?

Do you see Roach as 100% returning?

Well, nothing is ever 100%. Didn't expect DJ Steward to leave early last year. But, he should have the keys to the corvette next year. He'll have a lot more touches next season. Won't be sharing the ball-handling duties as much, as Keels and Moore often initiated the offense. And he will likely be the only returning Duke player with meaningful experience, so we'll need a ball handler - as well as a leader. Seems like a great opportunity for him.

I'd say 90%+ confidence that he'll be back. But I will admit, I haven't actually looked into what insiders think about this.

ADVERTISEMENT