ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley

MFarrell

Rivals.com National Columnist on all things footba
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2001
Broad Brook, CT
www.rivals.com
is he right or wrong? He's blocking Chandler Morris from transferring to TCU because its in conference and he feels he should sit out a year. And the NCAA is of course dragging their feet on this issue so Morris is stuck. Thoughts?

This never works out in the schools favor. Tennessee just tried the same with the brooks kid in coming to auburn

Lol at Riley blocking any transfer. He lives off the back of transfers. Most hypocritical thing I’ve seen in a long time. “Hey let me benefit from transfers but god forbid anyone leave here” he’s garbage.

With that being said he’s not entirely wrong. Inter conference transfers will be disastrous.

This never works out in the schools favor. Tennessee just tried the same with the brooks kid in coming to auburn
No they didn’t. They asked him to talk to the new DLine coach. They never attempted to block him. That was garbage being spewed by the AU 24/7 writer that wasn’t true.

Mayfield had to sit a year. However, he got that year tacked on to the back end upon appeal. I think Riley is trying to get the NCAA to alter the rule by taking a stand.

If he's within his rights to do that I have no problem with it. I dont think Lincoln should just allow him to make someone in their conference better and take the chance it comes back and bites him in his playoff chance's ass.

If he would like to play immediately choose a different conference but if you want to go to TCU go ahead. You are just going to need to get an NCAA waiver if you want to play next year.

No they didn’t. They asked him to talk to the new DLine coach. They never attempted to block him. That was garbage being spewed by the AU 24/7 writer that wasn’t true.

lol so that's the spin over on volquest.. cool.

Lol at Riley blocking any transfer. He lives off the back of transfers. Most hypocritical thing I’ve seen in a long time. “Hey let me benefit from transfers but god forbid anyone leave here” he’s garbage.

With that being said he’s not entirely wrong. Inter conference transfers will be disastrous.
Cry about it. Your salty we just took 3 of your players out of that dumpster fire in Knox. Can’t wait til we whoop that ass

Mayfield had to sit a year. However, he got that year tacked on to the back end upon appeal. I think Riley is trying to get the NCAA to alter the rule by taking a stand.
Baker sat a year because of NCAA rules. But the year he got back was the conference year. Because of him transferring in conference he was going to have to lose 2 years of eligibility.

You're clueless. The guys who transferred from OU this, without any issues, because they were OOC.

- QB Tanner Mordecai (SMU)
- RB T.J. Pledger (Utah)
- WR/TE Jalin Conyers (ASU)
- LB/S Robert Barnes (Colorado)
- DE/LB Jon-Michael Terry (Tulsa)
- WR Charleston Rambo (Miami)
- DB Brendan Radley-Hiles (Washington)

Let's not worry about facts though.

The NCAA needs to do something immediately or at least the conferences need to come up with a uniform rule. The adverse implications are just beginning and will get much worse. Prohibiting immediate eligibility within a conference and establishing a “one time” rule would prevent the guaranteed chaos that looms. As it stands now, commitments are literally meaningless and players basically have become free agents throughout their career. This “policy” (or lack thereof) allows schools to recruit from rosters year-round, opening the door for huge compliance issues and illegalities. I support the opportunity for immediate eligibility in certain situations. It often benefits a deserving student-athlete in circumstances that require relief be given. However, the NCAA has a history of being slow to rule, leaving both the gaining and losing universities, as well as the player, in limbo. Just mandate a uniform rule for a “one time” transfer to an out-of-conference institution. They might consider to allow a transfer within conference for good cause if both institutions agree (sick family member, etc.) Simple fix. The stupidity we have now is just one more step toward tainting college football with a NFL logo. If a common sense solution isn’t implemented, ADs and coaches better create their “war rooms” and prepare to outbid their rivals. The entire college football landscape is about to become a huge dumpster fire.

I'm tired of people saying Riley is "blocking" Morris from transferring to TCU. He's not blocking anything. Morris can transfer wherever he wants. He's simply not granting the kid a waiver to a conference rule that clearly states he has to sit a year. Why should OU allow players to bypass the rules? If there were some extenuating circumstances then that's a different story but asking OU to bypass conference rules "just because" is crap. And Riley isn't the villain here blocking anything. You don't like the rule, take it up with the conference.

The NCAA needs to do something immediately or at least the conferences need to come up with a uniform rule. The adverse implications are just beginning and will get much worse. Prohibiting immediate eligibility within a conference and establishing a “one time” rule would prevent the guaranteed chaos that looms. As it stands now, commitments are literally meaningless and players basically have become free agents throughout their career. This “policy” (or lack thereof) allows schools to recruit from rosters year-round, opening the door for huge compliance issues and illegalities. I support the opportunity for immediate eligibility in certain situations. It often benefits a deserving student-athlete in circumstances that require relief be given. However, the NCAA has a history of being slow to rule, leaving both the gaining and losing universities, as well as the player, in limbo. Just mandate a uniform rule for a “one time” transfer to an out-of-conference institution. They might consider to allow a transfer within conference for good cause if both institutions agree (sick family member, etc.) Simple fix. The stupidity we have now is just one more step toward tainting college football with a NFL logo. If a common sense solution isn’t implemented, ADs and coaches better create their “war rooms” and prepare to outbid their rivals. The entire college football landscape is about to become a huge dumpster fire.
Why shouldn't players be allowed to transfer wherever whenever? Coaches are allowed to, other students are allowed to, but if you're a student athlete you're not? These scholarships are one year commitments whenever it benefits the school, so why should they have any say in what a kid does if he doesn't want to stay at that school?

Why shouldn't players be allowed to transfer wherever whenever? Coaches are allowed to, other students are allowed to, but if you're a student athlete you're not? These scholarships are one year commitments whenever it benefits the school, so why should they have any say in what a kid does if he doesn't want to stay at that school?

Because schools invest a bunch of time and money in a kid as soon as he gets on campus but typically don't get a return on that investment until later on. Most of these kids at a place like OU don't see any significant playing time until their 2nd or 3rd season. It takes time to develop them. I'm not completely opposed to allowing transfers, especially in situations with extenuating circumstances, but it shouldn't be a free for all.

Also, you're right, coaches can leave whenever they want but typically the school and/or the NCAA will grant transfer waivers for kids who want to leave after a coaching change.

Reactions: IYELLALOT
Because schools invest a bunch of time and money in a kid as soon as he gets on campus but typically don't get a return on that investment until later on. Most of these kids at a place like OU don't see any significant playing time until their 2nd or 3rd season. It takes time to develop them. I'm not completely opposed to allowing transfers, especially in situations with extenuating circumstances, but it shouldn't be a free for all.

Also, you're right, coaches can leave whenever they want but typically the school and/or the NCAA will grant transfer waivers for kids who want to leave after a coaching change.
If there was such a thing as a four year scholarship then I'd agree, but these kids aren't guaranteed to have a scholarship the next year. So why should they be forced to stay or sit out a year at their new school?

ADVERTISEMENT