ADVERTISEMENT

Lil' Bit of ACC Talk . . .

Big game. Lot more questions about both teams than answers. Could be a real good game. Hype will be final four like.
Isn't it always? Everyone wants to see UK Duke NCAAt. This will be closest. Everyone also wants to see UK play ACC UNC, UL. This will be the closest we see until NCAAt. Uk has played a few ACC OOC recently. Been beneficial for the most part for UK.

Right, which is why they aren't in my top 9. They still may not be as bad as some think though. I mean, who is the ninth best SEC team, A&M maybe? The 10th or 11th ACC squad could be better.

I like the SEC next year though. I think the conference has done a great job improving its profile, mainly because they have done a great job getting quality coaches. I watch a ton of SEC basketball.

We have a great commissioner who flat gave a directive for the schools to get better in basketball. And they're answering the call. The conference is definitely heading the right direction.

The ACC is going to be very strong. Probably more balanced this year than most. The SEC has a chance to be in the top 3-4 this year.

He's a SG, rebounding and distributing were not his job. He was basically the only scoring option on a team that really struggled to put scorers on the court. Of course his shooting numbers were going to suffer, he got all of the defense's attention.

Aside from returning everybody, Syracuse is adding a talented transfer, Elijah Hughes, and Jalen Carey at Guard. Frank and Tyus won't have to play 39.9 minutes per game anymore (another reason their efficiency suffered).

With Hughes on the court and Sidibe healthy, Syracuse will jump up from 2 scorers on the court to 5. The experience helps the zone more than people realize, too.

Cuse should be good. They're getting top 25 preseason votes by most.
His shooting was equally bad when White, Lydon, and Gillon were there the year before. Because he's a SG rebounding and distributing aren't his job? RollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh That may be the funniest thing I have ever read on here. He must think that too, which is why he'll never make an NBA roster. I agree that Cuse will be a good team, never said they wouldn't. My response was to the poster that said they would contend to win the conference, which isn't going to happen. They won't finish above Virginia, Duke, UNC, and probably one or two others.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
His shooting was equally bad when White, Lydon, and Gillon were there the year before. Because he's a SG rebounding and distributing aren't his job? RollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh That may be the funniest thing I have ever read on here. He must think that too, which is why he'll never make an NBA roster. I agree that Cuse will be a good team, never said they wouldn't. My response was to the poster that said they would contend to win the conference, which isn't going to happen. They won't finish above Virginia, Duke, UNC, and probably one or two others.

37% from behind the arc and 52% from inside the arc is bad shooting from a true Freshman??? I haven't read the rest of your post yet, but that was uncharacteristically dumb for you, sir.

edit: I've read the rest. You maybe have a point about the assists, maybe. But expecting rebounding from a guard in a zone defense is kind of funny. The NBA doesn't care about guards rebounding; I don't think it ever has.

I don't know if Syracuse will finish above those three, but it's not a stretch at all to say they could. It's funny how quickly people forget just how elite Syracuse is. Despite monster sanctions, they've pieced together teams with some great NCAAT runs. Now that the sanctions are a year from being over, everyone is back on notice.

Last edited:
37% from behind the arc and 52% from inside the arc is bad shooting from a true Freshman??? I haven't read the rest of your post yet, but that was uncharacteristically dumb for you, sir.

edit: I've read the rest. You maybe have a point about the assists, maybe. But expecting rebounding from a guard in a zone defense is kind of funny. The NBA doesn't care about guards rebounding; I don't think it ever has.

I don't know if Syracuse will finish above those three, but it's not a stretch at all to say they could. It's funny how quickly people forget just how elite Syracuse is. Despite monster sanctions, they've pieced together teams with some great NCAAT runs. Now that the sanctions are a year from being over, everyone is back on notice.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Cuse win the ACC! Hopefully with their returning core and additions, they can make some noise.

Syracuse won’t finish in the top 5.

UVA, UNC, Duke, and then two of VT, FSU, and Clemson.

I'm not so sure. VT is definitely a no, imo. They weren't better than Cuse last season and have lost more/brought in less. Clemson was better than Syracuse last season (even though Cuse beat them) but they're down 2 starters and aren't bringing in any ringers from HS. I see that they've landed some grad transfers; is that what they're hanging their hat on?

What am I missing with FSU? They had a 10 man rotation but lost 4 of those guys, including 3 of their top 5 players, no? Are there transfers coming in? You guys needed two overtimes to beat us last season in your house.

I'm not so sure. VT is definitely a no, imo. They weren't better than Cuse last season and have lost more/brought in less. Clemson was better than Syracuse last season (even though Cuse beat them) but they're down 2 starters and aren't bringing in any ringers from HS. I see that they've landed some grad transfers; is that what they're hanging their hat on?

What am I missing with FSU? They had a 10 man rotation but lost 4 of those guys, including 3 of their top 5 players, no? Are there transfers coming in? You guys needed two overtimes to beat us last season in your house.

FSU returns 4 “starters” from an Elite 8 team, plus the 6th, 7th, and 8th man off the bench, plus they are adding a top 150 recruit who redshirted last year, plus they are adding a solid grad transfer at PG. (Trent Forrest didn’t technically start but played the most minutes at PG and was doubling up CJ Walker in minutes during the NCAAT—hence Walker’s decision to transfer).

Or, said another way, FSU returns their top 2 scorers, their leading assist man, their top 5 rebounders, their leading steals man, and 2 of their top 3 shot blockers.

VT returns every player except one from a team that finished two games above Syracuse in the conference and made the NCAAT. Plus, they also return Ty Outlaw, a sniper from 3, who missed all of last season with an injury. Not sure how you can say “they weren’t better than Cuse last year,” or that they “lost more.” They literally only lost 1 guy and they have plenty of firepower (Nickeil-Anderson, Ahmed Hill, Justin Robinson, Kerry Blackshear). They are ranked between 10 and 20 in basically every preseason poll right now.

Clemson returns 3 of 5 starters (and really 4 of 5 since Grantham got hurt midway through the year) from a team that went 25-10, finished tied for 3rd in the ACC last year (4 games ahead of Cuse), and made the Sweet 16.

FSU returns 4 “starters” from an Elite 8 team, plus the 6th, 7th, and 8th man off the bench, plus they are adding a top 150 recruit who redshirted last year, plus they are adding a solid grad transfer at PG. (Trent Forrest didn’t technically start but played the most minutes at PG and was doubling up CJ Walker in minutes during the NCAAT—hence Walker’s decision to transfer).

Or, said another way, FSU returns their top 2 scorers, their leading assist man, their top 5 rebounders, their leading steals man, and 2 of their top 3 shot blockers.

VT returns every player except one from a team that finished two games above Syracuse in the conference and made the NCAAT. Plus, they also return Ty Outlaw, a sniper from 3, who missed all of last season with an injury. Not sure how you can say “they weren’t better than Cuse last year,” or that they “lost more.” They literally only lost 1 guy and they have plenty of firepower (Nickeil-Anderson, Ahmed Hill, Justin Robinson, Kerry Blackshear). They are ranked between 10 and 20 in basically every preseason poll right now.

Clemson returns 3 of 5 starters (and really 4 of 5 since Grantham got hurt midway through the year) from a team that went 25-10, finished tied for 3rd in the ACC last year (4 games ahead of Cuse), and made the Sweet 16.

Losing one guy counts as losing more than Syracuse, especially when that one guy is a guard they leaned heavily on. Syracuse would have beat VT 9 out of 10 times last season. I didn't know about the injured guy, but Cuse is still better.

Clemson is losing too much.

Losing one guy counts as losing more than Syracuse, especially when that one guy is a guard they leaned heavily on. Syracuse would have beat VT 9 out of 10 times last season. I didn't know about the injured guy, but Cuse is still better.

We will see. Considering all three teams finished ahead of Cuse last year in the standings, I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss.

So you’re telling me you think Cuse will finish top 4 in the ACC?

BS, we have some pretty good players.

man you need to take your red tinted glasses off
it is a coin flip on whether or not UL can even make the NCAAT
UL may even have a tough time making the NIT
the only thing that might save you is how weak the ACC is this year after the top three

I like how the ACC is like the SEC. Higher standards, excellence demanded and players first. Out of the P5 schools, ACC/SEC is ahead of the game.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
the only thing that might save you is how weak the ACC is this year after the top three
I don't know where this talk is coming from. Virginia and the Holes are the best bet for top spots in conference. After that, you can start guessing. Plenty of good teams though.
Pains me to admit this, but Holes will be tough. Three senior starters, Little will probably be very solid. Point guard is their question. Find it hard to believe Ol Roy won't have someone competent there. Their bigs aren't studs, but will get job done.
Virginia plays too good defensively, and he has 3 starters back plus Hunter.
Anyone who doesn't have Virginia and Holes at preseason top are wearing goggles.

Reactions: jhmossy and shun1
I love my UNC TAR HEELS!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will see. Considering all three teams finished ahead of Cuse last year in the standings, I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss.

So you’re telling me you think Cuse will finish top 4 in the ACC?

Top 5, yes.

@GE Nole

Interested in a friendly avatar bet? Winner picks the loser's avatar, effective from the end of ACC play to the beginning of ACC play the next season.

Bet: Syracuse will finish top 5 in the ACC and ahead of FSU. Both conditions have to be met for me to win. If both aren't met (Cuse out of top 5 and behind FSU), you win.

RollLaugh Almost as bad of a troll job as LKC. Maybe you should consider taking your blue tinted glasses off. This is definitely a post to save for the future. The ACC is the going to be the most loaded I’ve seen in the past 2-3 years

Clemson is basically losing Gabe Devo who would score 30 one night and 6 the next game. We lost Donte Grantham January 20th and Amir Simms filled in nicely. We added a 6-10 grad transfer from Oral Roberts that has 2 years to play that was 14 points and 10 rebounds a game. Three new freshmen but not sure how much they will play.

We will be as good or better than we were last year. Not sure what the rest of the league has. Hard to keep up with 14 other teams and all of the transfers. With Mitch and Reed in the backcourt and Thomas down low we will be a tough out.

We will see, but to say our players aren’t good is pretty dumb. VJ king and Malik Williams are still on the squad, Jordan Nwora showed flashes of highly competitive ball last year, Perry was solid at the point at certain times last year, we finally get to play Steven Enoch (transfer from Uconn) this year who is pretty tough and adds depth to our front court. Sutton showed a lot of promise too. I hope we make the tourney, but to say we will flat out suck and aren’t very good is kind of short sighted on your part, and makes your blue tinted glasses a little darker.

RollLaugh Almost as bad of a troll job as LKC. Maybe you should consider taking your blue tinted glasses off. This is definitely a post to save for the future. The ACC is the going to be the most loaded I’ve seen in the past 2-3 years

how do you think UL will finish the season

We will see, but to say our players aren’t good is pretty dumb. VJ king and Malik Williams are still on the squad, Jordan Nwora showed flashes of highly competitive ball last year, Perry was solid at the point at certain times last year, we finally get to play Steven Enoch (transfer from Uconn) this year who is pretty tough and adds depth to our front court. Sutton showed a lot of promise too. I hope we make the tourney, but to say we will flat out suck and aren’t very good is kind of short sighted on your part, and makes your blue tinted glasses a little darker.

if you do not make the NCAAT then you are not very good
when has King or Williams proven they are more than just average
King came in as a highly recruited player, would you say that he has lived up to his ranking?

King came in as a highly recruited player, would you say that he has lived up to his ranking?
Williams was a freshman who played limited minutes behind Spalding, and King has showed flashes, he’s more offensive oriented, and Mack will be able to showcase his skills more thoroughly.

And you keep saying we won’t make the tourney, yet it’s late June and the season hasn’t even started yet. Why even play at all? You’re a better poster than this.

you guys were 22-14 last year and lost your best player and arguably your best two players, and replaced them for lack of a better word "srcubs"

do you think this years team will be better or worse then last years team?

if i were a UL fan i would be happy to finish over .500 on the season

i honestly do not think you will have a very good team
you guys should and probably will still enjoy the ride

So because we didn’t make the tourney with a 1st ever coach who has NEVER coached 1 game, not even high school, that automatically means our players suck and we won’t make it with a guy like Mack who took a team to the tourney with their best player injured and had a 1 seed last year? Yes that is so logical. A coach can make players look bad. That’s what happened last year. Give us tom flippin crean for one year and we’d made the tournament. That’s how inexperienced Padgett was. Your bias is showing very heavily

you guys were 22-14 last year and lost your best player and arguably your best two players, and replaced them for lack of a better word "srcubs"

#PadgettEffect

So because we didn’t make the tourney with a 1st ever coach who has NEVER coached 1 game, not even high school, that automatically means our players suck and we won’t make it with a guy like Mack who took a team to the tourney with their best player injured and had a 1 seed last year? Yes that is so logical. A coach can make players look bad. That’s what happened last year. Give us tom flippin crean for one year and we’d made the tournament. That’s how inexperienced Padgett was. Your bias is showing very heavily

actually it is your red tinted bias that is showing heavily

Opinions are opinions, I think we will surprise a few people. I think we will make the tourney too. Mack has us headed in a good direction. 22-14 isn’t a horrible record considering what scrutiny and bs we were facing with a new staff that was unproven, and horrible thing looming in the minds of our players who had nothing to do with the past atrocities.

@GE Nole

Interested in a friendly avatar bet? Winner picks the loser's avatar, effective from the end of ACC play to the beginning of ACC play the next season.

Bet: Syracuse will finish top 5 in the ACC and ahead of FSU. Both conditions have to be met for me to win. If both aren't met (Cuse out of top 5 and behind FSU), you win.

Just so I’m clear, if hypothetically Cuse finished 4th and FSU finished 3rd, I would win the bet?

Or, if Cuse and FSU finished tied for 5th, I would win the bet?

ADVERTISEMENT