Let's Talk Some Purdue

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Ipartiedwithhopgood, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Ipartiedwithhopgood Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

A couple weeks ago, I began paying attention.

Actually not true they've been on my radar most the year.

Is this team dangerous? Or, just not enough fire power?

Hammons might be the best 11ppg player in the country. Maybe I just catch him on his good nights? Nobody talks about this 7 footer much nationally but I like his game. I like Octeus @ the point the SR doesn't shoot it a lot but is hitting 50% of his FG attempts.

What's the vibe here I know we got some Purdue posters/lurkers.

Or anybody that wants to share a thought?

2. hawkit3113

hawkit3113 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

All I know is that Iowa is the better team and we are going to kick the crap out of them in the BTT.

Other than that, I picked them to have a good season, and make the tourney this year. They are a tough team. And talented.

3. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

Do they play a lot of guys?

Are the wings athletic or more of the "tough" guy types?

4. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

Their wings arent their strength. Its their guards and low post players. Their guards are as tough as any in the country on defense. They are quicker than cats. And as far as tough guy types, not sure. They lean on teams pretty good though. Alot of how the game is called has alot to do with their toughness. Not too much finesse.

They play 7 to 8 good players.

5. Hoya1987

Hoya1987 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What's the cause of the major turn around in conference after being terrible OOC? How did they lose to the crap they lost to? Are they legit? Or is the B10 just bad?

6. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

I just can't believe Hammons only gets 11ppg. I'm not saying that is bad, but I'd think he should be getting 15 ppg +.

Again, do I just see him when he beasts or maybe I am just wrong and he is just a decent but not great player? Is he a good teammate, etc?

7. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think the B10 is just an average conference this year. BUT, don't underestimate Purdue. They're a solid team. I think we'll see what they're made of in a couple weeks when they play @MSU and @OSU. Not sure how far they can go if they make the tourney, but I would think S16 would be their ceiling.

8. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

Defense and rebounding is really his thing, and oddly enough, the BIG 10 has some good size post players. He is playing against other bigs on a nightly basis.

9. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Expand Collapse

That's a really good point. There are some tough bigs in the league.

10. boiler1987

boiler1987 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

In non-conference, Painter tried to play a lot of guys and he has even admitted that it cost us some wins. He realized that Jon Octeus and Rapheal Davis both need to play about 30-35 minutes per game and also it seems like the light has finally come on for Hammons. He just impacts the game in so many ways. He's excellent on defense (has a very good chance to win Defensive Player of the Year) and I believe he leads the league in blocked shots. The B10 is down compared to most years but this Purdue team can do some damage because we have a legit size advantage with our 2 7 footers. It will come down to our ability to hit shots which has been a Jekyll/Hyde thing all year. Haven't seen such a drastic turnaround in one season like I have with this Purdue team. They went from being such a porous defensive team in the non-conference to one of the best in the conference now. It's been nice to see solid defense return to West Lafayette after a 2-year hiatus.

11. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

Georgetown sucks.

12. Ameoba Offense

Ameoba Offense Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm extremely impressed with them over the past 5-6 weeks. Best defensive team in the conference and probably 2nd or 3rd best team overall. Stevens and Mathias are supposed to be sharpshooters but haven't been. If they can get hot, this team becomes a threat to beat anyone in the tournament.

13. CardinalBoiler

CardinalBoiler Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The biggest differences in this team from non-conference to the conference schedule has been attention to detail on the defensive end, Hammons really coming to life on both ends of the floor, and Painter tightening up rotations.

Purdue has played really well in an effort to make up for a disastrous December stretch. They've really ratcheted up the defensive performances. But in fairness, they've benefited for a somewhat favorable schedule to this point due to the unbalanced nature of the 14-team B1G. The motion offense has been more effective lately as Hammons and Haas have been utilized on ball screens and not just simply being anchored in the low block. One glaring weakness is outside shooting. The Boilers have been winning in spite of this for a few weeks.

Right now, Purdue uses a 8-9 man rotation. If I had to give a scouting report, it'd be this:

PG - Jon Octeus (Sr) - Good versatile defender. Really long and athletic. Most effective as a slasher and can get creative once he's in the lane. Not a great shooter with set-shot delivery, but has hit a respectable enough clip to make defenders honor it.

SG - Dakota Mathias (Fr) - Has struggled with his shot, but is someone who will really be effective from deep before he graduates; his footwork and form are too good not to be. Limited athletically and with lateral quickness, but he's a smart defender. High, high basketball IQ, smart defender to make up for limitations, and Purdue's best passer.

SF - Raphael Davis (Jr) - Purdue's best perimeter defender has locked down so really good players this year. Offensive game is all about getting to the rim and using his strength to get past guys; good first step and dangerous with a head of steam. Limited shooting ability, but has hit some big threes this year (just ask Hawkit [​IMG]).

PF - Vince Edwards (Fr) - Versatile forward who epitomizes the "stretch-4" label. Really fits into Painter's system and matches the Hummel role as someone who can do a little of everything -- handle the ball, shoot, work out the post. Has a tendency to blend in on offense, but can score in bunches in a variety of ways. Not extremely athletic, but a good offensive rebounder.

C - A.J. Hammons (Jr) - Finally starting to realize the potential many people realized he had. Can knock down a jumper out to 18 feet. An elite shot-blocker with both hands. Has done a great job picking his spots on the block last few weeks in being more efficient with fewer shots. Rebounding at a good rate now. Can get sped up at times in the post. Footwork isn't always great.

Bench
    C - Isaac Haas (Fr) - Great feel for the game for such a huge, young player. Struggles with fouls and turnovers. Rebound rate is fairly low, but he's just an imposing player inside with pretty good touch.

G - P.J. Thompson (Fr) - Going to be a role-playing point for a while. Doesn't wow with any part of his game but makes the smart plays and doesn't turn the ball over. Height is going to be a detriment his entire college career without high-level quickness

F - Basil Smotherman (So)
    - Purdue's most athletic player. At his best when rebounding and making hustle plays. Limited shooter.

G - Kendall Stephens (So) - Has had a disappointing year marked by injuries, but can be a high-level shooter with deep range. Underrated defender and passer, especially into the post. Good length. Has a tendency to lose focus and make lazy passes and likely leads the nation in hand-check fouls.

G - Bryson Scott (So) - Great penetrator and on-ball defender. But a penchant for unforced errors and missed defensive assignments has landed him in the doghouse and on the bench for the past few weeks.

14. CardinalBoiler

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This is a pretty fair assessment.

15. boiler1987

boiler1987 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

16. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

Iowa > Purdue

17. Da_Bull

Da_Bull Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think they're finally playing defense and the team is learning how to play together after several new members. Painter has done well using Haas and Hammons, keeping both fresh. Guards are athletic and playing solid perimeter defense. B1G is down a bit. Interested to see how they do in the tournament.

18. EdwardElric

EdwardElric Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Painter also said that playing zone cost us a few games in the OOC schedule, which is hilarious because people on our message board have been screaming for Painter to try zone for years and talked about how stubborn he was for never trying it. Then he tried it, we lost a game or two, and a bunch of people wanted to fire him and see if we could get another coach lol.

It's been a great Big10 season, but I think there's a lot more good surprises in store for Purdue this year. Let's buckle up.

19. GoldenAlley

GoldenAlley Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've taken notice over the last month and a half. Folks are talking up Wisconsin but Maryland and Purdue could do some damage in the tournament. All 3 teams can defend and beat you in multiple ways.

It's been a solid bounce back year for the Boilers.

20. VulvHa

VulvHa Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This team also took awhile to gel. We only have 2 jrs and one scholarship senior, who was a graduate transfer and new to the program. Then we added 4 freshmen, 3 of which play major mins. Rest of the players are sophs. This is a young team that will return everyone next season except for the PG if Hammons does not go pro.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

21. BoilerExpress

BoilerExpress Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

is this what you mean by kick the crap out of us:

[​IMG]

I hope we play iowa in the BTT, we're gonna be prepared:

[​IMG]

22. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

Losing Octeus is big IMO, defensively and offensively. Neither Scott nor Thompson can replace what he brings. And if Hammons leaves (doubtful, I'd guess, but you guys prolly know better than me), you guys won't be as effective, still tough, but not as good as this year.

What do you guys think about Hammons returning? Say you win one game and get bounced in the tourney? Does he leave? Assume he's a second rounder. I doubt he's going to be a first rounder this year. He may not be a first rounder next year unless he keeps his consistency up all year.

23. VulvHa

VulvHa Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Opinions are really split right now. Many think that he will come back because his stpck right now is at absolute bestest late first rd with most experts saying 2nd rd. However, he is already old for his class because of prep school and he thought about leaving prior to this season. I do not think anyone really knows what he will do.

Agreed that Octeus will be a big loss, he is playing very well right now as a lead guard and leader. However, if he is the only player that leaves, we should still be better next year due to continuity and continued development of the remaining players. Hopefully, Stevens hand ligament injury will be healed by next season and we add another shooter in Cline and a bulldog defender in Weatherford. Davis and Hammons would once again lead the team and all of the frosh and sophs should make another jump.

24. hawkit3113

Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Well done.

25. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'd be shocked if anyone took Hammons in first round, realistically he is a 10-12 minute backup center at next level if things work out right, he could easily be out of league quick also. But I don't see really anyway he is ever going to be a first rounder, matters how much he enjoys purdue.

As for purdue with the right draw they can make the sweet 16 but that is the ceiling, they don't have enough talent to do much more, but would be a successful season for them. i'd look out for haas going forward, he has a lot of potential and I see him having a better career than hammons.

26. CardinalBoiler

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Hammons would be a big loss because of what he could accomplished as a senior. But Octeus is going to be the one that hurts the most. Hopefully Painter can comb the fifth-year transfer market again, and get one more stop-gap, because that's really the only glaring hole on that roster for 2015-16.

I'll be interested to see whether C.J. Walker can come in and be an immediate contributor in 2016-17.

27. CardinalBoiler

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think he has a much higher offensive ceiling, but he'll never be the shot-blocker that Hammons is.

He could end up being a great interior defensive presence, and he's going to be a deterrent at 7'2", but Purdue fans take for granted what they have with Hammons as an eraser at the rim.

28. SNU0821

Expand Collapse

IDK. Of the freshman, Edwards is the one I like the most. Mathias has been alright and will be good in time. I don't expect much out of Weatherford and Cline. I've seen both play several times. They will contribute in time, but they're no instant impact players. Davis, Hammons and Octeus are the main core for PU this year. Stephens should improve, but I didn't see much improvement from him in terms of getting to the rim. His shooting obviously suffered from injury, but that will be back, but he still seems one dimensional to me. Losing Octeus and Hammons would be a big, big loss. You lose the comfort knowing that if Haas gets in foul trouble, you still have another big to step right in.

29. VulvHa

VulvHa Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Never said that Cline would be jnstant impact kind of guy, which we will not need from him. He will just be another spot up shooter to open up the floor. Mathias supposedly drills 3s at a high level in practice so the hope is that it starts translating. Then you have Stevens and Vince, who has shot better than previously expected from 3 and can stuff the staff sheet with his versatility. As you said, as long as Hammons is back, Purdue will continue to have the 2 headed monster, so the more shooters we have the better.