Lets talk Maryland

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by sdsufan10, Feb 23, 2015.

1. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Maryland is 22-5 and 10-4 in big ten ranked 14th in country. Does anyone really believe they are a elite 8 contender? Kenpom doesn't like them much as they are ranked 38th on there, and though I don't like the eye test whenever I watch them they seem like a decent team but nothing special. Thoughts? I wouldn't be surprised if a 6 or 11 seed upsets them in round 2 if they do get a seed like 3.

2. dmaso44

dmaso44 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, they heven't looked impressive in what I have seen of them.

3. manu1433

manu1433 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've watched them like 3-4 times and every time they haven't looked very good.

I think they are on same tier as a team like OSU

4. Cyclonacity

Cyclonacity Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Layman is legit and Trimble is annoying (read crafty). The team seems to make a living at the line. If they aren't drawing fouls, they really struggle.

5. FAO_BlueFan

FAO_BlueFan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Agree with you. I thought when Dez came back they might really be a F4 threat but he has not been that great. As noted here they can really struggle to score if you don't put them on the line. They are similar to Georgia in that regard.

For sure they will need the refs help to beat Wisky. They have to make at least 16 or 18 FTs to have a shot IMO.

I would be very happy to see them as UKs 4 or 5 seed although I don't think they will make the SW16 anyway.

6. That MGH Guy

That MGH Guy Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Every year I go in to the brackets with one power 5 team (sometimes more) that I know I'm picking to get upset in the 1st round no matter what the match up is.

That would be Maryland.

7. stakesarehigh

stakesarehigh Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Maryland cannot rebound whatsoever. They have great guard play but it takes great games from them to beat good teams.

8. SNU0821

SNU0821 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with most of what is said ITT, but I think Maryland CAN make some noise in the tournament. They have a solid team, obviously, given their record. Their wins haven't looked good, but they're winning. If they sharpen some things up come tourney time, they can be a tough out.

9. stakesarehigh

Expand Collapse

I think if they get matched up against a smaller 12/13 type seed they will be ok in the first round. Beyond that....going to take an excellent tournament from Layman/Wells/Trimble

10. The Reindeer Terp

The Reindeer Terp Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We are a year or two ahead of schedule, considering the 5 transfers last season.

Dez Wells is just now getting healthy after missing 6 weeks with broken thumb/wrist on shooting hand. His ball handling has caused problems, as does his "hero ball " propensity, he had to carry team last few years, does not have to this year, but he still has that bad habit.

Many true freshmen (Trimble, wiley, Nickens, Cekovsky) are playing big minutes - they are inconsistent.

Big men - Dodd, Smotrycz, Graham and Cekovsky - just do not have solid post moves offensively - and BIG centers are eating them up.

All told - a fun team to watch - they gain/lose confidence easily during games - if they start shooting well early - they can be tough to beat. Turgeon has placed an emphasis on rebounding heading into Wiscy game tonight.

They are not National Championship contenders. They could easily burn a lot of the so called geniuses on this board who have been calling for them to lose early in Tourney. Maybe they will, maybe they wont. I follow them closely, and I have no idea what will happen.

Wins at: Purdue, MSU, OK St, Iowa St do prove they can play. The really bad losses on road at Iowa, OSU, IU are snowball games. Playing on road against teams you have never really played, in buildings they have never played in, coupled with inconsistent freshmen, injured seniors getting healthy, and good home teams - all create blowout losses. They are not as bad as they look in those blow outs.

NCAA's are all about matchups. Terps could make E8, or lose to NC St in 1st game. I really have no idea - neither would surprise me.

11. Jhmoss1812

Jhmoss1812 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think they're a pretty solid team that presents a tough matchup for a lot of teams. Trimble and Wells can get into the lane and they have some good spot up shooters in Laymen and Smotz. But I wasn't too impressed with their defense when UVA played them. MD shot 40 % from the field, made 6 threes and shot 36 FTs (made 27 of them) and still lost by double digits because they couldn't make a stop. Granted, that was without Dez but they haven't been world-beaters with him either. I haven't seen that much of them in the B1G but they have some pretty bad losses (when you factor in how badly they got beat). Also, 14 of their 22 wins are against sub-100 RPI teams. I think their ceiling is Elite 8 but they're more likely to lose in the Round of 32 than make it to the Elite 8.

This post was edited on 2/24 8:11 AM by Jhmoss1812

12. stakesarehigh

Expand Collapse

tonight will be a good gauge to see how they can do against a larger team closer to the tourney. Personally I think Wisconsin is going to beat them by double digits on the road. If they can manage a close loss I may change my tune some on Maryland

13. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

Huge win, great momentum builder. Wiscy played better in 2nd half, but too much Dez and Melo - with Terps limiting Badgers to one and done on defensive side. Rebounding practice paid off.

23-5. Many tough games to go. I really want to play UVA again with BOTH teams at full strength. I am sure the NCAA puppet masters will arrange a Duke/UVA/MD game somewhere in Dance.

Great night, great atmosphere, I sat 8 rows off floor. Kaminsky a beast, but Dekker was most impressive athlete on Wisconsin. Quite good. Like I said a month ago, the BIG and ACC to me look identical. The difference in many past years was separation at the very top. While conferences were very close top to bottom, the Duke/UNC/MD teams at top were better than best of the BIG. Same thing here - as good as Wiscy is, they are not more formidable than the great ACC teams of last 25 years.

the BIG/ACC - a lot of very similar teams. Thank the Lord though that there are more Clemson's and Miami's than Duke and UNC's in the BIG.

Maryland has had better teams than this years team get nowhere due to UNC/Duke/UVA/F$U/NCSU's beating them up during season and tourney, blowing up their record, and barely or not making dance. BIG may be down a tad this year, but overall - identical to ACC.

14. stakesarehigh

Expand Collapse

I was with u until you threw fsu/NC state/ and Virginia in the mix of teams that "beat u up"

It's been stated before no teams other than duke or north Carolina have advanced to the elite 8 in the acc in like 8 years. The big ten has had 5 in the finals alone in the last decade. Not sure what u are talking about champ

With Louisville Syracuse and notre dame it is definitely a different conference though

15. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It is hard to say if they are an elite 8 contender. Can't stand when people ask that? there are 20 to 25 teams that are elite 8 contenders if their draw plays out. If a 3 seed has an 11 beat their 6 and then a 7 beat their 2 they are an elite 8 contender. If MD is a 4 and has KEnt as their 1 seed then no they aren't. so it's a dumb question IMO. How do you know if anyone is an elite 8 or sweet 16 contended until you see the draw. MD is capable of losing their 1st game and could win a few but how do you know until you see who they have to play

16. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

I am talking last 25 years, champ. And regular season beatings, champ. Not how far any particular team got in the dance, champ. The ACC is and has been a meat grinder for decades, champ. And Maryland is the last BIG team to win National Championship. At least you got the Champ part right.

The Big is a little down this year, I said. Where the strength of ACC in past years has kept good MD teams out of tourney or on bubble. Your ability to understand or comprehend what I post is irrelevant.

when you post things like "it's been stated before, blah blah" it shows a certain amount of stupidity, not you just the post. I have access to ALL sports information and records, just like you do, from Google - a Terp and a Wolverine company who went to grad school at Stanford.

17. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Don't mind him. He is sad this year. Wouldn't you be?

18. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

Thanks ManRoar. If this child, stakesarehigh, is a Bucknut fan, he should be ok with FB Natty and solid BB team - I think they make dance. He just sounds young and dumb -- "I heard that in 8 whole years no team other than Duke/UNC has made E8"......

The younger ones focus in on seeding and recent success. Us older units look at BIG picture - enjoy the journey and savor each and every win. They are precious and unique.

And this fact - nobody knows what will happen in a one and done, neutral site tourney with horrible refereeing. This fact is proven every year. I look at regular seasons as a greater barometer of a teams season. NCAA's are a crapshoot.

19. stakesarehigh

Expand Collapse

I'm 35 years old I think insulting my age without evidence is rather silly no? U are the one that brought up Virginia Florida state and NC state as being better than the depth the big ten brings. U are the one that spoke to this year's team as not having possibly been as good of they were in the acc....that speaks to recent success and those three other schools u listed don't have it. I'm sorry u don't have the ability to pose your point without insulting my alleged age and the fact u have man roar on your side does not strengthen your argument.

Sad? Lol yes I'm sad. Ohio state won the football championship and blew out Maryland by like 30. I'm sad. Basketball is another matter....oh wait....how did that go again? Nah I'm good just sorry u can't take a differing opinion. I appreciate what Maryland brings to the table and think they could do some things this year but seems to me u are using this platform to pump up your former conference all the while reaching out and cashing that big ten football check

This post was edited on 2/25 11:04 AM by stakesarehigh

20. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

I said BIG/ACC identical this year, not ACC better. ACC has been better and deeper than BIG, in certain years just not last few years. I follow 45 years of data, not 8. I said MD has had better teams that lost so much during regular season, that they did not make dance. If that fact bothers you and your idea/hierarchy of where the BIG sits - that's your problem, not mine.

In no way did I take a shot at OSU or the BIG. Your latest response seems to feel I did. I believe this year, not last 8, the BIG is down, a little, not much. Probably because MSU/IU/OSU have good teams, not great.

The snarky "I was following you till xxxxx, champ" response and the "it has been stated here that" statement sound like a 14 year old who discovered college basketball 8 years ago. I apologize if I offended you.

21. stakesarehigh

Expand Collapse

It's all good.

22. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

23. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If you have guards who can get to the cup in March, you're dangerous. Melo and Dez are pretty freaking good,

24. stakesarehigh

Expand Collapse

Dez was killing it yesterday. Looked like the dude from the Iowa st and michigan st game prior to his injury.

25. SpartanJD

SpartanJD Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, Maryland has multiple blowout losses and multiple close wins vs putrid teams.

However, they are winning a lot of games. Trimble and Wells are a hell of a combo.

Maryland is a legit team. I mean, who else ranked around where Maryland is do you feel confident penciling in the elite 8?

26. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

Dez's injury was prior to first MSU game. He played a few minutes in final non conf cupcake, and first MSU game was his second back from the injury..and Maryland's first BIG Conf game ever.

He shot horribly, but you remember the game tying three. His ball handling is only thing keeping him from being 1st rd NBA pick. He shoots, rebounds, plays D, but sometimes his ball handling leads to 4 or so mind numbing turnovers per game.

27. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

This compliment is so backhanded, its lefthanded.

We Terps like Lefthanders!! UCLA of the East, proclaimed this man!!

[​IMG]

28. hawkit3113

hawkit3113 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I like Maryland. Anyone that comes in and starts slapping Wisconsin and Michigan St around, is ok in my book.

Go Terps

This post was edited on 2/25 5:50 PM by hawkit3113

29. MGoBlue1882

MGoBlue1882 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Maryland to the final four

30. PennJayhawk

PennJayhawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I think they're one of the 25 best, but I don't think they have the right parts for a deep run.

31. PennJayhawk

PennJayhawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

32. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm still not sold.

33. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

Hey Point break, don't you have some surfing to do?? Leave the heavy basketball thoughts with us adults in BIG and ACC. We lift weights back east, and shovel snow, and win basketball championships.

As Morgan is about to tell you - stop wasting my MFing time.

This post was edited on 2/26 8:56 AM by The Reindeer Terp

Go surfing Point Break, leave us alone