ADVERTISEMENT

Let's play a recruiting game

jhmossy

Aug 9, 2017
Team
Virginia
1) Name one school to which you don't mind losing a recruiting battle

2) Name another school to which it would piss you off if you lost a recruiting battle

For me, I don't get upset if we lose a recruit to Villanova. I feel like we have similar cultures so it doesn't bother me when a recruit picks them over us.

It annoys me when we lose a recruit to a OAD factory. It's not surprising that we lose these recruiting battles but these are usually top 40-50 kids who are going to get recruited over when I feel like they could have thrived at UVA.

Reactions: Villian07
1) Name one school to which you don't mind losing a recruiting battle

2) Name another school to which it would piss you off if you lost a recruiting battle

For me, I don't get upset if we lose a recruit to Villanova. I feel like we have similar cultures so it doesn't bother me when a recruit picks them over us.

It annoys me when we lose a recruit to a OAD factory. It's not surprising that we lose these recruiting battles but these are usually top 40-50 kids who are going to get recruited over when I feel like they could have thrived at UVA.

1) Anyone who doesn't have a shot to win it all.

2) Anyone who has a shot to win it all.

It doesn’t bother me when it’s a clean recruitment

It does bother me when they grow up a fan, their uncle was a legendary player for us, but then Louisville throws 100K at him and he goes there. The Brian Bowen recruitment really pissed me off. And Josh Jackson. Generally any recruitment where we have to go against a bag man.

But besides it being a dirty recruitment, I probably hate losing a recruit most UM, but that doesn’t often happen.

It does bother me when they grow up a fan, their uncle was a legendary player for us, but then Louisville throws 100K at him and he goes there. The Brian Bowen recruitment really pissed me off. And Josh Jackson. Generally any recruitment where we have to go against a bag man.

But besides it being a dirty recruitment, I probably hate losing a recruit most UM, but that doesn’t often happen.
Why did the Josh Jackson recruitment piss you off?

Don’t make me bring up the Rudy Gay story again...

eh, don’t mind losing to Kentucky(IQ for example) I know some people can’t stand him, but Cal is king of recruiting.
Truthfully, I dont mind losing out as often as we do now. I was always sympathetic to schools we would eventually beat out for a recruit, but now it’s distributed across so many schools I can understand what that feels like. It’s not overly disappointing, but it makes things so normalized that the excitement of the OAD has moved past me now.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Truthfully, I dont mind losing out as often as we do now. I was always sympathetic to schools we would eventually beat out for a recruit, but now it’s distributed across so many schools I can understand what that feels like. It’s not overly disappointing, but it makes things so normalized that the excitement of the OAD has moved past me now.
Sophomores will do that. I guess you read KB is back for another year.

At least you kept Miles Bridges in-state. With a little help from Dawkins.

At least you kept Miles Bridges in-state. With a little help from Dawkins.
He wasn’t even campaigning for MSU, I think he wanted him at UK. Whatever, he took his mom out to dinner. Miles paid it back to charity. Big deal.

Let me guess...this is the official explanation from the athletic dept and Bridges’ family?
Have you read the ESPN article about it? His mom was taken out to eat and the dinner was paid for. That was what came out. They made Miles himself pay for the dinner in a charity donation. You can look all this up.

1. Tennessee-Have a lot of ties there and want them to do well.

2. Duke-Obviously. I would say State but lol.

It does bother me when they grow up a fan, their uncle was a legendary player for us, but then ADIDAS throws 100K at him and he goes there. The Brian Bowen recruitment really pissed me off. And Josh Jackson. Generally any recruitment where we have to go against a bag man.

FIFY, Adidas threw 100k at him, not Louisville, but don’t let the facts get in the way of ur narrative. I guess there’s not much difference from your perspective, but the courts ruled Louisville a “victim” of the adidas pay to play scheme. Besides the kid was already getting paid by his AAU team and his HIGH SCHOOL for the love of god, so I doubt he was ever going to Sparty without a paycheck either.

I hate losing recruits to coaches who try to cover up rapes, by tampering with the victim. See how easy it is to throw shade when u don’t really know what ur talking about.

Reactions: UL_1986
Don’t make me bring up the Rudy Gay story again...

eh, don’t mind losing to Kentucky(IQ for example) I know some people can’t stand him, but Cal is king of recruiting.

I would agree with this if Cal had been a great recruiter BEFORE William Wesley started pushing kids his way, which started when cal gave Milt Wagner a job to land his son Dejuan. Before that cal was a middle of the pack CUSA coach who had one good run with the Camby led Umass team, basically the 1990s version of Shaka smart.

Last edited:
I hate losing recruits to (I’m trying to find a nice way to say Lesser but striking out so) imo, lesser programs like just a few examples, Marquette, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, etc etc. Teams that rarely if ever have a legit shot to cut down the nets.

I don’t mind losing recruits to UK, Kansas, Duke, UNC, bc that at least makes sense to me, but I also hate losing recruits to Oregon, Arizona, Washington. Idk why really I guess bc I don’t get to watch teams out west as much as teams Not in the pacific time zone.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Yeah it’s funny to see KU, MSU and UL fans go in circles - remember gents- those in glass houses should not throw stones.

People who aren't in denial about their team's (and/or shoe company's) recruiting practices can say whatever they want. That's just keeping things on an even keel.

I would agree with this if Cal had been a great recruiter BEFORE William Wesley started pushing kids his way, which started when cal gave Milt Wagner a job to land his son Dejuan. Before that cal was a middle of the pack CUSA coach who had one good run with the Camby led Umass team, basically the 1990s version of Shaka smart.
Haha, you think Cal should've been getting the #1 recruiting class every year at UMass? I am sure recruits were beating down the door to play in the A-10. BTW, Calipari was at Memphis for 1 year before Wagner got there. Was he a "middle of the pack CUSA coach" for a whole season? I would say Cal had more than "one good run" at UMass. They were 16, 32, 32, 8, and 4 in Calipari's last 5 seasons at UMass. If his recruiting sucked you must be saying he was one hell of a coach at UMass. William Wesley is besties with K and Boeheim, yet I don't see too many great recruiting classes being churned out by Syracuse.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Haha, you think Cal should've been getting the #1 recruiting class every year at UMass? I am sure recruits were beating down the door to play in the A-10. BTW, Calipari was at Memphis for 1 year before Wagner got there. Was he a "middle of the pack CUSA coach" for a whole season? I would say Cal had more than "one good run" at UMass. They were 16, 32, 32, 8, and 4 in Calipari's last 5 seasons at UMass. If his recruiting sucked you must be saying he was one hell of a coach at UMass. William Wesley is besties with K and Boeheim, yet I don't see too many great recruiting classes being churned out by Syracuse.

Good call, two good runs at UMASS, my mistake. Was camby a one and done? There is no arguing Cals recruiting took a MAJOR uptick once www entered the picture. And I’m talking all the way back at Memphis so save me the Kentucky recruits itself drivel, billy Clyde and tubby probly don’t agree. Granted he’s taken it to a whole new level since landing at UK, but he was on the verge of doing that at Memphis before the Rose scandal.

And Cal was a middle of the pack CUSA coach after Wagner left too, he just “magically” started recruiting better and better with his new friend. A few recruiting cycles later and he started having decent teams, but it wasn’t until every other team with a pulse in the CUSA left that he finally started making more ncaaTs than NITs. And kids like Washington, Rose, Carney, Dorsey, dozier.......and wait for it........wall, Bledsoe, and cousins were all “beating down the door” as you put it to play in the CUSA. Had he known www at Umass they would have been beating the door down there too. Calipari is a good recruiter, www is a great recruiter. I mean all you have to do is look how long it took Duke to start out recruiting UK once cal claimed that www wouldn’t be (as big of) a part of the UK program.

Wasn’t aware www had ties to Syracuse, but he’s a Nike guy, so not to surprising. Nor is it surprising Wes wouldn’t push his “nephews” to Play for a coach who refuses to come out of a 2-3 zone.

Last edited:
Laughing jfc

ppl need to stop believing everything they read on homeboards.

Last edited:
Like the posts on the Memphis homeboard that the insiders felt really good about Wall committing to Memphis bc www was with him on his official visit?

Can we believe the videos from 2012 of the UK players running right past the coaching staff to celebrate with www when the confetti started flying?

Like the posts on the Memphis homeboard that the insiders felt really good about Wall committing to Memphis bc www was with him on his official visit?

Can we believe the videos from 2012 of the UK players running right past the coaching staff to celebrate with www when the confetti started flying?
I can't find anything. Care to share a link?

So AD never climbed into the stands to hug www after the game??? I Was a bit hyperbolic saying “as soon as the confetti started flying” but it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

And according to the Memphis boards the insiders felt good about Memphis’s chances in walls recruitment bc www accompanied him on his visit. That could easily be a fabrication but I doubt it.

So AD never climbed into the stands to hug www after the game??? I Was a bit hyperbolic saying “as soon as the confetti started flying” but it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

And according to the Memphis boards the insiders felt good about Memphis’s chances in walls recruitment bc www accompanied him on his visit. That could easily be a fabrication but I doubt it.
I'm sure you remember it caused quite a stir when Calipari gave Wesley a 2012 UK Championship ring.

FIFY, Adidas threw 100k at him, not Louisville, but don’t let the facts get in the way of ur narrative. I guess there’s not much difference from your perspective, but the courts ruled Louisville a “victim” of the adidas pay to play scheme. Besides the kid was already getting paid by his AAU team and his HIGH SCHOOL for the love of god, so I doubt he was ever going to Sparty without a paycheck either.

I hate losing recruits to coaches who try to cover up rapes, by tampering with the victim. See how easy it is to throw shade when u don’t really know what ur talking about.
what about the strippers/hookers? was that paid by Addidas as well, and if you believe Stripper U HAD NO PART in that money. I have some ocean front property in Iowa that I will gladly sell you.

That wasn’t the topic on hand. The topic was Brian Bowen’s recruitment and the allegation that Louisville threw 100k at him which just isn’t true.

The Strippers, yea Andre McGee, a lower level assistant coach and former player, provided strippers/stripper parties, for the players. I can only speculate why he would be so stupid. And every one of the strippers won their civil suit against Katina Powell who claimed they were prostitutes and she was the madam in her book. This is the same lady who is locked up for stealing a toothbrush from wal mart. That’s on us, more specifically McGee, but he represented the university and we paid the price.

Back to the topic on hand, Louisville did less than any other school involved in the pay for play scheme despite being the face of the scandal for espn and the fbi. Hell according to “The Scheme”, the fbi’s main focus of the investigation was to get Pitino, and all they got was Bowen Sr telling two different stories under oath about whether assistant Kenny Johnson (who is still a college assistant, not at Louisville) gave him 3k or not. Hard to believe someone either way when they change their story under oath. Also hard to believe Johnson would still be coaching college athletics if they had any kind of credible proof that he gave Bowen Sr any money. Meanwhile they had wire taps of will wade and Sean Miller openly talking about paying recruits, and they still have their jobs, and neither university got half the media backlash that Louisville endured when the fbi scandal first broke.

And there’s nothing in Iowa but corn fields and dumbasses.

Last edited:
I'm sure you remember it caused quite a stir when Calipari gave Wesley a 2012 UK Championship ring.

I actually don’t remember that, more likely www paid for the rosters’ rings. Wasn’t drake the one that got a ring? 2012 was a longggggg time ago. I did notice the deflection away from AD and www hugging in the second row after the game though.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT