ADVERTISEMENT

Let me get this straight about the shockers

They've gotten handled pretty good a couple of times and looked bad in some wins against bad teams. That's what happens when you take them out of the valley.

I wouldn't call this a "real" schedule.

I just don't think this team is on par with past Wichita teams. Will probably still be a tough out in March though.

Yep. I’ve neber been sold on WSU, and now they’re finally getting exposed for the “average” program they are.

153273330_8f824a7f30.jpg

Yep. I’ve neber been sold on WSU, and now they’re finally getting exposed for the “average” program they are.

The aura of WSU and like programs is that no matter what they do they are overachieving so they're perceived as greater than what they have accomplished.

Opinion of a program = Reality minus expectations

For Wichita State, the general fan or office bracket filler doesnt know anything about them really other than they played in some strange conference called the Valley and they win a few games in March when the expectation is zero so everyone overhypes their accomplishments when at the end of the day if you're Kentucky, Duke, Kansas or whatever "name" school you want to pick, no one cares that you made the Sweet 16 because its expected. But when its 7 seed Wichita State then everyone comes in with a boner into the office the next day bragging about how they "called it" with the little school from Wichita upsetting a goliath.

They're a tough program for sure, Im not saying they suck, and I give them credit for doing what they have done with their limited resources and exposure, but at the end of the day what they have actually accomplished even during their golden age of 2006-present is a dime a dozen in power conferences.

Reactions: npreston and tw3301
The aura of WSU and like programs is that no matter what they do they are overachieving so they're perceived as greater than what they have accomplished.

Opinion of a program = Reality minus expectations

For Wichita State, the general fan or office bracket filler doesnt know anything about them really other than they played in some strange conference called the Valley and they win a few games in March when the expectation is zero so everyone overhypes their accomplishments when at the end of the day if you're Kentucky, Duke, Kansas or whatever "name" school you want to pick, no one cares that you made the Sweet 16 because its expected. But when its 7 seed Wichita State then everyone comes in with a boner into the office the next day bragging about how they "called it" with the little school from Wichita upsetting a goliath.

They're a tough program for sure, Im not saying they suck, and I give them credit for doing what they have done with their limited resources and exposure, but at the end of the day what they have actually accomplished even during their golden age of 2006-present is a dime a dozen in power conferences.

By the numbers, Wichita State has a similar basketball program than wvu.

Same Final Fours (but more recently)
More Total Elite 8s (4-3)

It's close, but I'd give the nod to wvu just because of Jerry West 60 years ago. That said, Wichita state (despite being in a mid-major still) gives more press and discussion than wvu because they are the classic under-dog team.

By the numbers, Wichita State has a similar basketball program than wvu.

Same Final Fours (but more recently)
More Total Elite 8s (4-3)

It's close, but I'd give the nod to wvu just because of Jerry West 60 years ago. That said, Wichita state (despite being in a mid-major still) gives more press and discussion than wvu because they are the classic under-dog team.

My point exactly, WVU does not get any unusual amount of attention, Wichita does because they are the classic underdog school that everyone loves when the bracket comes out.

Wichita is finding that they aren't always going to have the best player on the floor in the AAC. That happened twice this week as Shake Milton and Rob Gray (two tremendous offensive players) gave them the business. Defensively they struggle a bit on the perimeter and I think that will ultimately be their undoing in the NCAAT.

I like that Kansas left the Missouri Valley in 1928 and still was able to win more Missouri Valley conference titles than Wichita State.

They still aren't as good a they were when the MO Valley was a dominant conference in the 60's, and that was a long time ago.

We'll be glad to let someone else get stuck with them in their bracket I promise. They have our respect.

ADVERTISEMENT