ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Talk a Lil’ Bit ‘Bout Indiana Basketball

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Are they “back”? I like the trajectory, it’s refreshing to see them back on the scene.

Does it last?

Gonna try to pry some folks out of the B1G thread, widen their perspectives a bit.

hot-day.gif

Let’s see . . . here goes nothing . . .

@Courtsensetwo, @HoosierstuckinIowa, @IUBtown, @texanhoosier1982

8d68b71a-bbb6-4100-9389-833facb3cb3b_text.gif

Last edited:
They are definitely good this year. What is interesting is they’ve lost 10 games this year and 7 of them by double digits. So when they are good, they’re very good. But when they’re not….

It will be interesting moving forward Beyond this year.

They will lose TJD for sure and likely Hood-Schifino. Xavier Johnson, Miller Kopp and Race Thompson are all seniors. I think that was their starting 5 before XJ got hurt.

Not sure what they bring in but they might have some big shoes to fill.

I mean we might have caught them on a bad day, but they did not look good against Kansas.
Beat Purdue twice but lost twice to northwestern and Iowa. Definition of an up and down season.

Injuries to X, Race, TJD, JHS and JG took a bite out of rhythm and potential at various times. I won’t count Duncombe or Leal but I am sure that doesn’t help in practice.

JHS is a stellar freshman but can disappear in some games. Bates has disappointed significantly. Malik has been up and down but shows great potential and Trey is just a joy to watch overachieving his skills and body. Kopp is Kopp.

They will lose four starters plus X if he plays in another game. Anticipating one xfer among JG, TB, and Gunn.

Woody has done a very good job on the rebuild then having to adjust to the many missed games. He has solid recruiting with Hunter but needs another X/O coach with the loss of Fife.

Solid shooting and ball handling coming in but will need to find another portal big to work beside Malik. Just don’t see LD as being anything more than practice and mop up. The X decision is big and if JHS doesn’t project high he could stay another year and make big NIL.

Disappointing season to be sure JMHO

Reactions: Montana81
Every time I watch a little bit of a game Indiana is playing they look like world beaters, but I don't think they're ready for prime time just yet.

Every time I watch a little bit of a game Indiana is playing they look like world beaters, but I don't think they're ready for prime time just yet.
What are they missing and who do you think are better?

I think IU can make a run.

To this causal observer they’ve looked great at times and then same ol same ol others.

I think Woodson is a clear upgrade over Archie at least. i’m just not sure he’s the guy to get them back to where they should be given their level of fan investment and pedigree.

We get to think about the up-and-coming coaches. We just had some HOF coaches retire and might have some more in a few years,

Who's next,? who's on pace to take over Coach K on all tie wins? Or, Wooden on titles? We're probably seeing the beginning of their careers right now and don't know it.
IU has all the tools.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
What are they missing and who do you think are better?

I think IU can make a run.
They can't seem to win the big games. They really don't have any bad losses but no big wins either.
I have only watched them a couple of times but I think they are better than their record. Getting swept by Northwestern is typical of why they have 10 losses.

They can't seem to win the big games. They really don't have any bad losses but no big wins either.
I have only watched them a couple of times but I think they are better than their record. Getting swept by Northwestern is typical of why they have 10 losses.
They beat Purdue twice and @xavier. They did look extremely pedestrian against Kansas and Arizona. I think they do have the make up to make a run, pick and roll game with TJD and JHS, some outside shooters and capable of playing some good defense. They also however are soft mentally, can give up leads and when they get behind they struggle.

Reactions: winin11
Iowa (1st) and NW were bad losses in part because they were games that were basically won on the floor and they pissed them away.

Reactions: winin11
They are definitely good this year. What is interesting is they’ve lost 10 games this year and 7 of them by double digits. So when they are good, they’re very good. But when they’re not….

It will be interesting moving forward Beyond this year.

They will lose TJD for sure and likely Hood-Schifino. Xavier Johnson, Miller Kopp and Race Thompson are all seniors. I think that was their starting 5 before XJ got hurt.

Not sure what they bring in but they might have some big shoes to fill.
Next year will tel the story....Losing TJD, Kopp, Race and JHS is A LOT. And lets be honest, damn near impossible to replace. We have a decent returning core led by XJ, Malik and Galloway. But after that, its all unproved talent. I think Bates leaves. Simply to be closer to his daughter. I honestly feel that has had a huge impact on his play.

Banks IMO is a sleeper. Kid always seemed comfortable on the floor---never seemed overwhelmed. IMO one of the biggest mistakes by Woody ws not playing that kid more. No idea with Geronimo. Great athlete for sure---Jut not sure his basketball abilities will ever get close to his athletic ability. Gunn surprised me....Kid just seemed lost. And his shot? Oh, my. Duncomb was a top 70 kid,and even rated a 5* by scout. He to always seemed solid when on the floor. But sinus issues derailed him---I guess.

So right now we have....

XJ, Galloway and Reneau as the ONLY dudes that have shown the ability to produce at this level...Incoming frosh are solid---Cupps is pretty good IMO. But after that?

Dunno. Portal is gonna be very important here. I could see us being good to, well, not so good. But if this program takes a step back, i.e. missing the NCAAT, it will IMO be a HUGE setback, and probably spell the start of the end to Woodson's era...Because after next year IU will have to make a decision on to extend him, or not.

Reactions: boilerzz
To this causal observer they’ve looked great at times and then same ol same ol others.

I think Woodson is a clear upgrade over Archie at least. i’m just not sure he’s the guy to get them back to where they should be given their level of fan investment and pedigree.
Spot on...

Injuries to X, Race, TJD, JHS and JG took a bite out of rhythm and potential at various times. I won’t count Duncombe or Leal but I am sure that doesn’t help in practice.

JHS is a stellar freshman but can disappear in some games. Bates has disappointed significantly. Malik has been up and down but shows great potential and Trey is just a joy to watch overachieving his skills and body. Kopp is Kopp.

They will lose four starters plus X if he plays in another game. Anticipating one xfer among JG, TB, and Gunn.

Woody has done a very good job on the rebuild then having to adjust to the many missed games. He has solid recruiting with Hunter but needs another X/O coach with the loss of Fife.

Solid shooting and ball handling coming in but will need to find another portal big to work beside Malik. Just don’t see LD as being anything more than practice and mop up. The X decision is big and if JHS doesn’t project high he could stay another year and make big NIL.

Disappointing season to be sure JMHO
Folk bang on X---but losing that dude was huge. It made JHS have to play more minutes...It pushed Galloway into the back-up PG role---HE IS NOT a pg. More importanly in losing X we lost a alpha man---a bulldog. Plus dude could score the ball, get where he wanted on the floor, and finish. TBH with X, if he was good---IU was really good. And well when not----Yikes.

I 100% feel if X had been healthy, IU is still playing, and would have had a legit shot at getting to the FF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT