ADVERTISEMENT

Laughing at Kentucky 😂

Bc yall have the most active and vocal fans here, a few delusional ones as well. What do u expect when yall make 80% of threads about uk?

Dont worry if Duke loses tommorow yall will be an afterthought, esp if they lose to a mascot as ridiculous as the 🦚. Just not that often a 15 takes down a 2 so not counting on 2 in one tourney but u never know.

Not that i don’t still have questions about whether or not Calipari still has it in him to get Kentucky back on top and keep them there, but i am starting to accept the idea that injuries derailed the season.

Grady was never the player for us he was for Davidson. I just figured Cal favored Ty ty washington in that role(and i was pretty vocal about being disappointed in that when it became clear early in the season). But now i’m wondering if it was because grady was never 100%.

And while Ty Ty should have been recovered enough to not suck down the stretch like he did, i think it’s fair to say the injury probably stunted his development enough to cause problems. mainly on defense. we did not evolve at all on that end and actuality got worse. grady’s issues also explain some of that as well because he was one of the biggest culprits.

Wheeler seemed to get skiddish on that end as well.

It is what it is. It doesn’t give Cal an excuse for the last 7 years though. He has not done the best job running the program during that time and the 2021 season and the loss to St Pete’s was the ultimate price for it. But i do think it would be unfair to dismiss the impact such injuries can have on a team.

Not that i don’t still have questions about whether or not Calipari still has it in him to get Kentucky back on top and keep them there, but i am starting to accept the idea that injuries derailed the season.

Grady was never the player for us he was for Davidson. I just figured Cal favored Ty ty washington in that role(and i was pretty vocal about being disappointed in that when it became clear early in the season). But now i’m wondering if it was because grady was never 100%.

And while Ty Ty should have been recovered enough to not suck down the stretch like he did, i think it’s fair to say the injury probably stunted his development enough to cause problems. mainly on defense. we did not evolve at all on that end and actuality got worse. grady’s issues also explain some of that as well because he was one of the biggest culprits.

Wheeler seemed to get skiddish on that end as well.

It is what it is. It doesn’t give Cal an excuse for the last 7 years though. He has not done the best job running the program during that time and the 2021 season and the loss to St Pete’s was the ultimate price for it. But i do think it would be unfair to dismiss the impact such injuries can have on a team.

Many teams deal with similar injury issues. There aren't many players who play heavy minutes that aren't banged up at that point in the season.

McCormack was playing on a bad foot all year and was getting hours of treatment daily. Martin was injured throughout the entire conference season and they still won the league and pulled a 1 seed.

Reactions: Montana81
Cal favored TyTy in what role?

The go to perimeter bucket getter.
Grady had trouble getting open and would spend 90% of the time just spotted up in the corner during half court sets, rarely moved. He was basically the opposite of Mintz who always worked his ass off to get open. I was surprised they didn't run more screens for Grady. His injury problems partially explain that now, but he just wasn't quick and athletic enough to go get his own shot the majority of the time, regardless of his health woes. If only they would've had a stud lotto pick sitting on the bench waiting to take his place... Could've been a different story than the complete implosion late in the season.

When I hear about plantar fasciitis I think of Joe Crawford's last game as a Cat in the NCAA tournament against Marquette. Dude could barely walk, hobbling up and down the floor, but he dropped 35 points and left it all on the court. Even got a standing ovation from the Marquette bench at the end.

Grady had trouble getting open and would spend 90% of the time just spotted up in the corner during half court sets, rarely moved. He was basically the opposite of Mintz who always worked his ass off to get open. I was surprised they didn't run more screens for Grady. His injury problems partially explain that now, but he just wasn't quick and athletic enough to go get his own shot the majority of the time, regardless of his health woes. If only they would've had a stud lotto pick sitting on the bench waiting to take his place... Could've been a different story than the complete implosion late in the season.

When I hear about plantar fasciitis I think of Joe Crawford's last game as a Cat in the NCAA tournament against Marquette. Dude could barely walk, hobbling up and down the floor, but he dropped 35 points and left it all on the court. Even got a standing ovation from the Marquette bench at the end.

Sharpe not playing is the most irritating thing about it to me. Cal’s excuse was he wasn’t a better option than 3 guys that were injured because he wasn’t up to speed. That’s ridiculous to me. I’d rather him not say anything at all than to try and pass off some bs like that.

also i disagree that grady couldn’t get his shot off. watch his season higlight video. look at his elevation and release on his jumper. he had one of the quickest and best jumpers we’ve had under Cal. And he had some ball skills too.

Plus he was more athletic than ty ty imo.

something changed down the stretch of the season. if he was hurt all year than maybe he just finally wore down.

Sharpe not playing is the most irritating thing about it to me. Cal’s excuse was he wasn’t a better option than 3 guys that were injured because he wasn’t up to speed. That’s ridiculous to me. I’d rather him not say anything at all than to try and pass off some bs like that.

also i disagree that grady couldn’t get his shot off. watch his season higlight video. look at his elevation and release on his jumper. he had one of the quickest and best jumpers we’ve had under Cal. And he had some ball skills too.

Plus he was more athletic than ty ty imo.

something changed down the stretch of the season. if he was hurt all year than maybe he just finally wore down.
Not saying he couldn't get his shot off, he just had problems beating his defender and creating on his own. If he was left open as a spot up shooter for even a split second he was nails. I've been told by a friend that donates a lot of money to UK (hence would be privy to more information than the average fan) that Sharpe's parents requested he not play. He told it to me something like this. They said they would prefer Shaedon not play but if Cal absolutely needed him to go ahead and Cal's response was if you don't want him to play he's not going to play. That makes sense to me and Cal will always take the heat so nobody else gets thrown under the bus. Cal has essentially stated that he would've made a difference. You don't include that little tidbit if a kid's not ready to play.

Not saying he couldn't get his shot off, he just had problems beating his defender and creating on his own. If he was left open as a spot up shooter for even a split second he was nails. I've been told by a friend that donates a lot of money to UK (hence would be privy to more information than the average fan) that Sharpe's parents requested he not play. He told it to me something like this. They said they would prefer Shaedon not play but if Cal absolutely needed him to go ahead and Cal's response was if you don't want him to play he's not going to play. That makes sense to me and Cal will always take the heat so nobody else gets thrown under the bus. Cal has essentially stated that he would've made a difference. You don't include that little tidbit if a kid's not ready to play.

Given that we’ve got what…3 guys mid season now and none of them have played it’s hard for me not to suspect Cal has some influence on that decision.

None of Hami, Oscar or Sharpe have played.

Hell, Dontaie Allen was nearly a full year removed from his high school acl injury by the first game of his true freshman year and Cal still didn’t play him for another full season.

Cal just doesn’t like playing guys that haven’t been through our summer conditioning program.

I think James Young was the last one that showed up after summer conditioning and played. He got here in september because he was finishing up high school course work i think.

Given that we’ve got what…3 guys mid season now and none of them have played it’s hard for me not to suspect Cal has some influence on that decision.

None of Hami, Oscar or Sharpe have played.

Hell, Dontaie Allen was nearly a full year removed from his high school acl injury by the first game of his true freshman year and Cal still didn’t play him for another full season.

Cal just doesn’t like playing guys that haven’t been through our summer conditioning program.

I think James Young was the last one that showed up after summer conditioning and played. He got here in september because he was finishing up high school course work i think.
Oscar transferred in the middle of the season last year after playing 10 games for WVU, he wasn't eligible to play at UK in 2020-21. Diallo wasn't even good the year he did play, so he most likely was definitely not ready after he enrolled in January. He was a great athlete, not a great player though. Very raw with good upside. Sharpe is way more skilled at the same point in his career and has already met a lot of his potential.

Oscar transferred in the middle of the season last year after playing 10 games for WVU, he wasn't eligible to play at UK until this past season. Diallo wasn't even good the year he did play, so he most likely was definitely not ready after he enrolled in January. He was a great athlete, not a great player though. Very raw with good upside. Sharpe is way more skilled at the same point in his career and has already met a lot of his potential.

Ahh okay. i thought oscar had a waiver that he could play immediately.

Yep. That's what I've assumed. If it were purely up to him, he would have at least given him limited minutes. But probably a lot of minutes. I figured it had to be either Sharpe holding himself out or the parents getting involved, and Calipari was just covering for him to keep the pitchforks at bay.

Ahh okay. i thought oscar had a waiver that he could play immediately.
You might be thinking of Toppin. I don't know of any waiver that lets a kid play half a season with one team and transfer between semesters and play for another school in the same season.

Reactions: KisteK
Yep. That's what I've assumed. If it were purely up to him, he would have at least given him limited minutes. But probably a lot of minutes. I figured it had to be either Sharpe holding himself out or the parents getting involved, and Calipari was just covering for him to keep the pitchforks at bay.
For sure. He would never let Sharpe face that kind of backlash, especially while he's still on campus. Sharpe's camp is still firm on saying he'll be back at UK next season, which is just a lie, imo, to keep the pitchforks at bay until he's no longer in Lexington.

Cal just doesn't use many screens to setup a player. Look at Abagji. He's a catch and shoot guy. Not really a play maker for himself, yet became AM. Self runs some nice screens for him.

Wallace, one of things I like about him, he'll setup his screens very well. And he's a good shooter. I hope Cal doesn't break him of doing that lol.

That doesn't explain shit imo. He had it all year according to himself. He had games where he hit 6 or 7 threes. It also doesn't explain how the entire team shat themselves after beating Kansas.
Sure wish you guys would’ve started the shatting before our game. I don’t think any team would’ve beat you guys that day. All cylinders were clicking.

Im not so sure cal didnt run grady into the ground playing him 35+mpg(guessing) when tyty and wheeler were having their injury problems.
He played 33 mpg on the season and had a handful of games playing 40+. Cal didn't have anyone else to play without Fredrick or Sharpe available and Allen being worthless.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Off year topic. I was going back through the 2018-2019 season and saw UK's roster. Dang that was stacked. What happened? I mean , I know that auburn happened. Cal has had great teams.

Off year topic. I was going back through the 2018-2019 season and saw UK's roster. Dang that was stacked. What happened? I mean , I know that auburn happened. Cal has had great teams.

Tyler Herro was a good but not great player as a college freshman. He was still kind of inconsistent, not a great defender and went cold in march. Auburns veteran guards abused him and hagans in that E8 game.

Keldon Johnson was the only one of the 3 freshman that didn’t play like ass that whole tournament.

That said Cal did was he does which was just as big a culprit in that lose. He had a lead and took his foot off the gas and tried to run the clock out.

It also helped that auburn didn’t commit a single foul the last 9 minutes of regulation. But that shouldn’t have mattered as we had beat them twice already AND they had just lost a lottery pick to injury the game before.

It didn’t help that Zion & co. pushed our stool into our lungs that year either. Not good for the confidence.

Answer: it is hard to beat a good team three times.

See: 1986 UK beat two really good teams twice in the SEC, beat one the third time and lost to a lesser LSU in the finals of the region. Why were three SEC teams in the same region? See answer below.

Question: Why was Auburn and Kentucky in the same region?
Answer: The NCAA selection committee is crooked as a dogs hind leg.

Reactions: cdbearde
Answer: it is hard to beat a good team three times.

See: 1986 UK beat two really good teams twice in the SEC, beat one the third time and lost to a lesser LSU in the finals of the region. Why were three SEC teams in the same region? See answer below.

Question: Why was Auburn and Kentucky in the same region?
Answer: The NCAA selection committee is crooked as a dogs hind leg.
LOL. Why does the NCAA hate one of its biggest cash cows with arguably the biggest fanbase?

The NCAA doesn’t have a responsibility to keep conference mates from meeting in the freaking regional final. Kind of hard to do anyway, unless there were only a few teams in.

Hell, I’d love to see a Big 12 team that KU had swept in the Elite 8, especially if they had 10 losses and had just lost their best player.

• Wow
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
LOL. Why does the NCAA hate one of its biggest cash cows with arguably the biggest fanbase?

The NCAA doesn’t have a responsibility to keep conference mates from meeting in the freaking regional final. Kind of hard to do anyway, unless there were only a few teams in.

Hell, I’d love to see a Big 12 team that KU had swept in the Elite 8, especially if they had 10 losses and had just lost their best player.
One of the rules is to spread the talent out.

GEEZE!

Reactions: cdbearde
One of the rules is to spread the talent out.

GEEZE!
They were a 5 seed with a bunch of losses. They weren’t particularly good during the regular season. Your team beat them by 30, remember?
I’m pretty sure most of you were confident about beating them without Okeke.

Besides, 5 seeds aren’t expected to reach the Elite 8. It was set up for UNC/Kentucky.

i was happy we drew auburn that year. after they lost Okeke i was pretty confident. But Cal played ultra conservative that entire tournament. We should have lost to houston if i’m being completely honest.

ADVERTISEMENT