ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Legend is not a fan of Calipari

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
On Thursday afternoon, Kentucky basketball legend Kyle Macy had some choice words for John Calipari and the current state of the UK program.

For starters, he said he didn’t know if he felt welcome around the basketball program anymore.

“I’m not as involved with the program as I used to be,” he said in a radio interview on the Query & Schultz show on Fox Sports 1260. “There were times I could go to practice whenever I wanted and feel welcome, but I don’t know if that’s the case now. I don’t really have any desire to go there and go to practice.”

Why? A difference in philosophies with the current Kentucky head coach.

He said that he didn’t agree with Calipari’s stance on neutral site games (specifically when it comes to the Indiana series) and the program’s current focus on getting players to the NBA.

“I’d say we don’t agree with those issues in particular, and he’ll argue with you till his death that [draft day] is the greatest day,” Macy said. “When he first got here, he made the comment that the greatest moment in Kentucky basketball history was draft day because they’re changing the lives of young men. And it is nice that they are able to do that, but it’s not like it should be a training ground for the pros. Granted, you go to college to get a better paying job, and that’s what’s happening with these kids.”

The reason I bring this up, there's ppl out there that want to get to know players and watch them grow and then there's ppl that want the best players available. Which is right? Do you turn down and not recruit the best of the best to please a dated philosophy?

Reactions: rdgtr
I understand Macy’s frustration, and it’s valid.

I’m just not sure it was the best move to air that out in public.

Also, affinity for the IU series is probably the best way to date yourself. Lots of fans feel strongly about it. None are younger than 40.

Also, affinity for the IU series is probably the best way to date yourself. Lots of fans feel strongly about it. None are younger than 40.
Bears the question (bears or bares), is winning the be all end all? Winning at all cost w/o breaking rules seems to ok, but winning at all cost to uphold some tradition seems a little nuts. UNC fans hated OAD's when it was Duke and UK using them...now....

Just an example UNC fans. No UNC fans were harmed in the making of this post.

Reactions: AWilli6995
On Thursday afternoon, Kentucky basketball legend Kyle Macy had some choice words for John Calipari and the current state of the UK program.

For starters, he said he didn’t know if he felt welcome around the basketball program anymore.

“I’m not as involved with the program as I used to be,” he said in a radio interview on the Query & Schultz show on Fox Sports 1260. “There were times I could go to practice whenever I wanted and feel welcome, but I don’t know if that’s the case now. I don’t really have any desire to go there and go to practice.”

He said that he didn’t agree with Calipari’s stance on neutral site games (specifically when it comes to the Indiana series) and the program’s current focus on getting players to the NBA.

“I’d say we don’t agree with those issues in particular, and he’ll argue with you till his death that [draft day] is the greatest day,” Macy said. “When he first got here, he made the comment that the greatest moment in Kentucky basketball history was draft day because they’re changing the lives of young men. And it is nice that they are able to do that, but it’s not like it should be a training ground for the pros. Granted, you go to college to get a better paying job, and that’s what’s happening with these kids.”

The reason I bring this up, there's ppl out there that want to get to know players and watch them grow and then there's ppl that want the best players available. Which is right? Do you turn down and not recruit the best of the best to please a dated philosophy?

Is it a dated philosophy if the vast majority of champs are still teams with experience?

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Bears the question (bears or bares), is winning the be all end all? Winning at all cost w/o breaking rules seems to ok, but winning at all cost to uphold some tradition seems a little nuts. UNC fans hated OAD's when it was Duke and UK using them...now....

Just an example UNC fans. No UNC fans were harmed in the making of this post.

Winning is the end all, be all. That being true is as American as apple pie.

In the past, there used to be severe penalties for rule breaking, defrauding our institutions. Now, not so much, and that has bled over into college sports for many, many years. The fact that Will Wade and Sean Miller are still employed would be unfathomable 10 years ago.

But it’s hard to completely swallow Macy’s criticisms because Macy ended up failing miserably as a coach, and walked away at the lowest point in his coaching career. It’s just hard for him to criticize what Cal has done, given Cal’s winning percentage, and reputation.

Non conference slate may suck for season ticket holders, but I enjoy Cal seeing players off at the Draft after 10 months a lot more than seeing Billy get piss drunk and do karaoke at Chinoe pub.

Non conference slate may suck for season ticket holders, but I enjoy Cal seeing players off at the Draft after 10 months a lot more than seeing Billy get piss drunk and do karaoke at Chinoe pub.

..and then go home with a players girlfriend.

I can't fathom any UK fan not being happy with the state of the program right now. Especially dealing with 99-09.

boo f'n hoo.

I'm kind of with him on the thought that the NBA draft is NOT the greatest day for UK. Hollow victory.
IMO,and I'd like to think most UK fans feel this way, No one agrees with that was the best day. We just pander Calipari with support to use that angle to get us more great players.

'yeah yeah, what ever you say, now go spend all of that recruiting budget on the private plane. Say what you got to say to close the deal(s)". "UK #1,reach your dreams, look at all the 2nd contracts etc." It has come with a great deal of success.

IMO,and I'd like to think most UK fans feel this way, No one agrees with that was the best day. We just pander Calipari with support to use that angle to get us more great players.

'yeah yeah, what ever you say, now go spend all of that recruiting budget on the private plane. Say what you got to say to close the deal(s)". "UK #1,reach your dreams, look at all the 2nd contracts etc." It has come with a great deal of success.
I agree. I'd still trade 30 NBA players for 7 titles. They're connected though.

Macy come from a era that almost all players stayed 4 years
in the Pitino era players started leaving early
now it is full blown "get me in the NBA as soon as possible"

times change
you either change or get left behind on talent
there is less then a handful of schools that get the top talent every year
honestly that "less then a handful" of schools when added together have done pretty well in the NCAAT

If UK just won an N.C. and Macy said this then fans would tell him to stfu. It’s all about winning.

Cal is the coach and I trust him. No other coach since Rupp has accomplished what he has done.

Kyle isnt wrong. We all feel that way. I dont know why people want to throw him under the bus. He speaks truth.
You can't speak for everyone. I don't feel that way so not everyone feels that way.

You can't speak for everyone. I don't feel that way so not everyone feels that way.
Semantics. An extremely large portion of the fan bade agrees with him. Acting like he's off base or out in left field and thede comments are beyond the pale when we've all been saying the same stuff for a decade is pretty ludicrous.

I have no problem with Macy's statements. However, his old coach loves Cal. I will take Joe B.'s advice way before Macy's.

Reactions: kl40504
Semantics. An extremely large portion of the fan bade agrees with him. Acting like he's off base or out in left field and thede comments are beyond the pale when we've all been saying the same stuff for a decade is pretty ludicrous.

The fan base agrees with Macy? Do you actually think that?

CB3UK, why don't you tell us what Cal is supposed to do? Should he turn down five star players and instead sign a bunch of 2 star player that will stay three or four years? That is what you are suggesting. How does that work?

If that did happen "an extremely large portion of the fan [base]" would raise hell. The whole concept is simply stupid that any coach would walk away from a great player to sign a lesser one.

You get the best players you can get. If the fan base disagrees then the hell with the stupid fan base. Geeze we must be losing our minds here folks.

Cal is damned if he does sign great players and he sure as hell would be damned if he passed on a great one.

This thread proves one thing: UK fans can't be pleased.

Macy was a legend. However he is a legend of the past. He can't stand it that Cal is about today and the future. He was a weak college basketball coach that wanted someday be the coach at Kentucky. His feelings are hurt. Big deal. Get over it.

Reactions: JC for 3
I don't think Macy's upset with the talent, or how Cal recruits. I take it as he's more upset that Cal seems to be advertising UK as a "proving grounds", opposed to the tradition itself. I can get why a guy like Macy would be uspet with that type of portrait...

I don't think Macy's upset with the talent, or how Cal recruits. I take it as he's more upset that Cal seems to be advertising UK as a "proving grounds", opposed to the tradition itself. I can get why a guy like Macy would be uspet with that type of portrait...

now-a-days that can be said for almost every top 20-25 recruit
anyone that thinks a top 25 players are not looking to get to the NBA as fast as possible are lying to themselves

tradition is built on winning
as long as a school continues to win the tradition will never die
in a lot of ways Macy is very short sighted
maybe that is why he felled as a coach

i am saying this with him being one of my top 5 favorite players of all time

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
The debate: Is Indiana basketball a train wreck or not?

How can that even be a question for a program that has MISSED THE NCAA TOURNAMENT seven of the past eleven years, and has ADVANCED BEYOND THE SWEET 16 exactly ONCE since 1993 - going on 27 seasons! Not to mention 1987...

Kyle, as much as he's loved for what he did at UK, is coming off like a whiny ass looking for attention.... or a seat on Cal's bench with some kind of job title and paycheck that comes with it. Given his coaching career....that probably ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Having players get drafted is low on the bragging rights totem pole when it is stacked up against the schools winning records, beating of rivals, and success in post season play. UK, Duke, UNC, KU etc etc win with top high school talent, while teams like Gonzaga win big with players we never heard of. Draft day for the pros is just a circus that comes during the off season for college sports. That limbo area between March Madness and the start of college football.

Having players get drafted is low on the bragging rights totem pole when it is stacked up against the schools winning records, beating of rivals, and success in post season play. UK, Duke, UNC, KU etc etc win with top high school talent, while teams like Gonzaga win big with players we never heard of. Draft day for the pros is just a circus that comes during the off season for college sports. That limbo area between March Madness and the start of college football.

Gonzaga had a player that won an NCAA ring at Kentucky. I sure as hell had heard of Kyle Wiltjer.

Additionally, unless I did a Rip Wan Winkle, Gonzaga has never won big, but they have had a bunch of players make the NBA. To help here is a link: https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/West-Coast-Conference/11/Gonzaga/332/nba-players

now-a-days that can be said for almost every top 20-25 recruit
anyone that thinks a top 25 players are not looking to get to the NBA as fast as possible are lying to themselves

tradition is built on winning
as long as a school continues to win the tradition will never die
in a lot of ways Macy is very short sighted
maybe that is why he felled as a coach

i am saying this with him being one of my top 5 favorite players of all time
He's not talking about that. I just think it rubs a guy wrong, like Macy, when he feels all the hard work that not only he put in, but those before him did, to help build the tradition of Kentucky Basketball, is being put on the back burner. I don't think Macy is questioning the way Cal recruits. Nor has an issue with it. He understands how the game is. I just think he feels Kentucky's tradition should be the focal point---Not the NBA draft.

The debate: Is Indiana basketball a train wreck or not?

How can that even be a question for a program that has MISSED THE NCAA TOURNAMENT seven of the past eleven years, and has ADVANCED BEYOND THE SWEET 16 exactly ONCE since 1993 - going on 27 seasons! Not to mention 1987...
giphy.gif

He's not talking about that. I just think it rubs a guy wrong, like Macy, when he feels all the hard work that not only he put in, but those before him did, to help build the tradition of Kentucky Basketball, is being put on the back burner. I don't think Macy is questioning the way Cal recruits. Nor has an issue with it. He understands how the game is. I just think he feels Kentucky's tradition should be the focal point---Not the NBA draft.
Bingo. See, even the Hoosier gets it. I dont understand why so many of us UK fans have to debate this with a section of our fan base. It shouldn't be rocket science for the fanbase to want what is best for Kentucky and its tradition.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Borden, you must get the best players to have the best team. The best players go to the NBA. I don't think that Cals priorities are incorrect at all.

Cal is better for Kentucky's tradition than nearly any coach since Joe B. Hall. Don't take my word for it that is what Joe B. Hall told me.

Macy has his panties in a wad over Cal not bowing down to him and stopping whatever he is doing to cater to Macy's every need; however, no other UK coach did that for Macy. Macy is free to say what he chooses, but he is not on the coaching staff and I don't see what his gripe is. It is Cals program, not Macy's.

Reactions: kl40504

I actually think our tradition is just fine. Rupp wanted UK to be to basketball as Notre Dame was to football back in the day. That tradition is still there. We still have more fans and we get plenty of coverage.

Cal's players first commitment is a focal point on getting them to trust him and the system and to learn to play as a team. It works. Our guys play together, good kids and get along very well. I think our tradition is just fine. Its modern day basketball and common sense dealing with star players. The NBA thing is a recruitment tool.....

I will take Kentucky's tradition over Indiana's anytime.

I've still yet to see the post where he said Indiana's tradition was better than Kentucky's.

Seek help.

KL is a robot. His programming only includes a handful of phrases.

Keeping this in mind helps to make sense of his ramblings.

I've still yet to see the post where he said Indiana's tradition was better than Kentucky's.

How can that even be a question for a program that has MISSED THE NCAA TOURNAMENT seven of the past eleven years, and has ADVANCED BEYOND THE SWEET 16 exactly ONCE since 1993 - going on 27 seasons!

Seek help.

...now Macy has backtracked a bit...saying he shouldn't have used the word 'unwelcome'. Said maybe he should have said 'uncomfortable'.

Dwayne Peevy named Macy an official ambassador for UK Basketball.... what the hell else does he want???

ADVERTISEMENT