ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Fans

coryfly

Aug 7, 2007
So I was talking to this co-worker today who is from somewhere in Pennsylvania. We were talking about sports and got into college basketball. She knew I was a UNC fan and so thought I hated Cal. When she found out I didn't she told me about her father. Apparently he (who is like 90 now) is a huge UK fan and actually was Cal's middle school basketball coach. She said he still gets handwritten letters from Cal and free tickets behind the bench whenever he wants them, which clearly isn't really an option for him at this point. Anyway, just thought it was a cool story.

All the Calipari haters have no idea the stuff he does behind the scenes and doesn’t publicize. Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
TBH, all coaches do a lot behind the scenes that nobody knows about, but all others want to talk about is unproven cheating rumors.

Yeah, these coaches do awesome things for their community, their players, and tons of people.

K called our local high school coach (who was diagnosed w brain cancer and recently passed away), and spoke with him for over a half-hour. Someone got the word to K about the coach and he called. Simple as that. Meant the world to the guy, obviously.

Reactions: tw3301
K called our local high school coach (who was diagnosed w brain cancer and recently passed away), and spoke with him for over a half-hour. Someone got the word to K about the coach and he called. Simple as that. Meant the world to the guy, obviously.

Yeah, I know some people who are close to K and good friends with him. Good people. Actually, my ex roommate and close friend is married to a girl who dated a guy who dated one of K's daughters, haha.

All these people are probably great in real life. Well, most of them. Not sure about Gregg Marshall.

The girls b-ball coach at our local high school was a legendary coach and was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2001 or 2002. Was referred to Duke Medical Center (I think that’s what it’s called) and K heard about it and spent some time with him there. Dickie V even mentioned it on a UK/Florida game that year. He died in 2003 but you’ll rarely hear me say anything bad about Mike Krzyzewski.

Reactions: 829305 and tw3301
Yeah, I know some people who are close to K and good friends with him. Good people. Actually, my ex roommate and close friend is married to a girl who dated a guy who dated one of K's daughters, haha.

All these people are probably great in real life. Well, most of them. Not sure about Gregg Marshall.

How could he be when he's married to this ****?

6-5191089.png

Reactions: JC for 3 and tw3301
Im no OAD fan, but Cal is about as good a guy as there is. He does a ton if stuff around Lexington and the state. As far as I know he still does a lot of stuff in Memphis that he had set up when he was there. Programs and what not.

Im no OAD fan, but Cal is about as good a guy as there is. He does a ton if stuff around Lexington and the state. As far as I know he still does a lot of stuff in Memphis that he had set up when he was there. Programs and what not.
Yes, the Community Foundation of Greater Memphis.

So I was talking to this co-worker today who is from somewhere in Pennsylvania. We were talking about sports and got into college basketball. She knew I was a UNC fan and so thought I hated Cal. When she found out I didn't she told me about her father. Apparently he (who is like 90 now) is a huge UK fan and actually was Cal's middle school basketball coach. She said he still gets handwritten letters from Cal and free tickets behind the bench whenever he wants them, which clearly isn't really an option for him at this point. Anyway, just thought it was a cool story.
Thanks coryfly. I enjoyed your post and I can see why Cal would do that.

Joe B. Hall is 91 and he tells me that Cal treats him like royalty as he wants to improve the program and that is the way you do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT