ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Derby.

I'm still having a time getting over this.

"The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved"

you should read the rest, or better yet, visit the Derby and later write your own description.

I’ll read it when I get home. I figured based on the title it’s going to be some hot take about horse racing, a sport that I grew up with and care about.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
@UL_1986 any bets?

Also did you know they're honoring HST this year? That's the motivation behind this thread.
None as of yet. Still actually waiting to enter Churchill, at an old friends near the track currently. And yes! I saw that they’re honoring the legend of HST. Ralph Steadman is apparently doing some autographs as well. I’ll holler at ya once I’m in, already have had my share of Willet and Four Roses today..

I read the title and decided that was enough.

One of greatest sports essays ever written. Literally can’t explain derby experience better than that.

One problem I have with Kentucky Derby is that we’ve kind of locked ourselves into this first weekend of May thing, but it turns out it’s rained on something like 60% of the first weekends of May in Louisville since the Derby started. Global warming might be our only hope to right that one.

One of greatest sports essays ever written. Literally can’t explain derby experience better than that.

One problem I have with Kentucky Derby is that we’ve kind of locked ourselves into this first weekend of May thing, but it turns out it’s rained on something like 60% of the first weekends of May in Louisville since the Derby started. Global warming might be our only hope to right that one.
Muirfield Village (memorial tournament) blames the bad weather on a Indian curse. Not sure what to blame the Derby for.

it always seem to rain.

Last edited:

fingers crossed

sigh: wife still haven't showed up, she probably ran off.

Reactions: bkingUK
I'd like to see an update version, but as of 2016;

Since the first Run for the Roses in 1875, 107 Kentucky-breds have been victorious. Only three horses bred outside of the Bluegrass State have won the Derby since 2000 – California Chrome in 2014, Smarty Jones in 2004, and Funny Cide in 2003.

must be home cooking.

Now everyone who wasn't interested the derby can root against the locals. :D

Untitled.png

How expensive are the tickets to get in the grandstands? Or club seats? Are those even available to the general public or are they primarily for sponsors/owners?

Wife just called, we're leaving right now.

infield. UL/UK fans know what i'm saying.

Derby>Memphis in May
Not a UL/UK fan but I know what you’re talking about. I used to go every year. Haven’t been in the 3 years. Still 50/50 about this year.
As great of a time as the infield is.... it sucks ass in the rain.

Ralph Steadman

"All I knew about him was that this was his first visit to the United States. And the more I pondered the fact, the more it gave me fear. How would he bear up under the heinous culture shock of being lifted out of London and plunged into the drunken mob scene at the Kentucky Derby? There was no way of knowing. Hopefully, he would arrive at least a day or so ahead, and give himself time to get acclimated. Maybe a few hours of peaceful sightseeing in the Bluegrass country around Lexington."

I'm guessing you've watched "For No good Reason".

Last edited:
Reactions: UL_1986
How expensive are the tickets to get in the grandstands? Or club seats? Are those even available to the general public or are they primarily for sponsors/owners?

Grandstand isn’t bad if you get them in advance. Range from $200 to like $500. There are different levels depending on location.

I have a friend going. We stopped and toured there on the way to Louisville. My wife grew up riding horses so loved it.

Reactions: UL_1986
I’ve been to the derby twice. Both times in the grand stands when I was in high school working a fundraiser with Brantley.

I wouldn’t make it in the infield. Space issues. As a 16 year old with out of towners both willing to cash my tickets and buy me mint juleps I had a blast in the grand stand though. Also left with about 1500 in tips one year and 1000 the next. And a solid buzz both times.

You can buy a $1000 mint julep at the Derby. You just know that some dudes are gonna buy that for their dates and their dates are only gonna take a few sips before they decide they don’t like it that much.

I did the infield once, I think in '96 or '97. I'll never do it again. I know people that have gone several times and it seems like the infield always turns into a beer soaked mudball, rain or shine.
I have been to the Derby 7 times but never to the infield. However it sure looks like fun when observing from the grandstands. Looking through binoculars you sure can see some interesting things. Women with no tops and many other intriguing observations.

ADVERTISEMENT