ADVERTISEMENT

KENPOM ranks programs from data since 1997

the last 3 yrs of Tubby were brutal. He had some good teams, some of my favorites since thats when I was at UK, but it was definitely time when we split.
Agree. But to lump him with BCG is crazy. Or to insinuate his time at UK hurt their history . After all, he has the 4rh highest winning percentage in UK's history; Trails only Rupp, Rick and Cal. I mean, those 3 in front of him are pretty decent, right?

Reactions: kl40504
Agree. But to lump him with BCG is crazy. Or to insinuate his time at UK hurt their history . After all, he has the 4rh highest winning percentage in UK's history; Trails only Rupp, Rick and Cal. I mean, those 3 in front of him are pretty decent, right?
Tubby did a fine job for the first half. The problem was he got lazy and stubborn with recruiting. He didnt want to mess with the star guys who had egos and brought trouble after Team Turmoil. We all knew it and our AD more or less publicly put pressure on him to change his staff because they werent getting it done on the recruiting trail. Tubby was too stubborn and wanted to remain loyal to guys like David Hobbs. He was allowed to leave in a manner that saved face and made it appear as if he quit for Minnesota, but the reality was he was being forced out and was job shopping. He didnt want to deal with all the effort recruiting at a Kentucky level required. His passion is Xs and Os, and I bet he's as happy as hes ever been just teaching kids at High Point now.

So it’s not even really intended to be a ranking of the most successful programs in that span. It’s meant to be an indicator of the success we should expect them to have. It considers recruiting and even weighs recent years more heavily. Which explains why Duke and Kentucky’s scores are so much higher than the rest.

For the lazy.

1. Duke +47.02
2. Kentucky +45.07
3. Kansas +37.04
4. North Carolina +34.45
5. Arizona +32.65
6. Michigan State +31.64
7. Villanova +30.03
8. Louisville +29.86
9. Florida +29.56
10. Texas +28.78

Haven’t read much of the thread but I’d rank North Carolina over Kentucky and Kansas. Those would be my top 4 followed by Michigan State. UConn has the 4 titles but they’re so down right now. I still think they’re ahead of atleast Texas on that list.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Haven’t read much of the thread but I’d rank North Carolina over Kentucky and Kansas. Those would be my top 4 followed by Michigan State. UConn has the 4 titles but they’re so down right now. I still think they’re ahead of atleast Texas on that list.

what hurts UNC in measures like this is that they have had a few absolute down years

what hurts UNC in measures like this is that they have had a few absolute down years
For sure. If I were a fan I wouldn't even care that the 8-20 season puts them behind Kentucky and Kansas when I've got 3 titles and several other Final Four seasons to remember during that timeframe.

Reactions: cooljeff
For sure. If I were a fan I wouldn't even care that the 8-20 season puts them behind Kentucky and Kansas when I've got 3 titles and several other Final Four seasons to remember during that timeframe.

Yeah...North Carolina wins the last two decades.

Thanks, Roy. Asshole.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Not sure how Michigan State is behind Arizona when they are ahead of them in all ten categories

Same reason that Duke and Kentucky are way ahead of the rest. It factors in recruiting, with emphasis on recent years.

Rick was building a monster. Had Anderson not been hurt, he may very well have won back to back titles. After his first season, he was rolling man.

i am not sure what the immediate future would have been had Pitino stayed
he basically did his best with one great class that stayed 4 years and he added a piece here and there that was the heart of the 97 team
the cupboard was not bare when Tubby took over, but it was also not stocked with any stars

i don't think Pitino wins it in 98
Tubby did one of the best NCAAT coaching jobs i have seen in my lifetime, i don't think he made one mistake

Reactions: IUfanBorden
i am not sure what the immediate future would have been had Pitino stayed
he basically did his best with one great class that stayed 4 years and he added a piece here and there that was the heart of the 97 team
the cupboard was not bare when Tubby took over, but it was also not stocked with any stars

i don't think Pitino wins it in 98
Tubby did one of the best NCAAT coaching jobs i have seen in my lifetime, i don't think he made one mistake
I think Pitino quit recruiting, because he knew he was going to Boston. If that never materialized, I think we continue to see The Mashburns, Anderson's, Mercers, etc, etc...Plus, Rick recruited similar then, as he did at UL. Some studs , surrounded by solid players. He recruited his system as well as anyone I've seen.

I think Pitino quit recruiting, because he knew he was going to Boston. If that never materialized, I think we continue to see The Mashburns, Anderson's, Mercers, etc, etc...Plus, Rick recruited similar then, as he did at UL. Some studs , surrounded by solid players. He recruited his system as well as anyone I've seen.

did he quit recruiting for two years anticipating going to the Celtics

i think Pitino would have been in total rebuild mode after 1998
how things may have played out would just be a guess
i do think Bradley would have stayed

did he quit recruiting for two years anticipating going to the Celtics

i think Pitino would have been in total rebuild mode after 1998
how things may have played out would just be a guess
i do think Bradley would have stayed
Huh? His last team had Mercer as a soph...Naz as a soph...Scott Padgett as a soph...Jamal as a frosh...Edwards was a junior. Wayne Turner a soph. I doubt there would have been to much of a rebuild. He was only.going to lose Mercer.
As for recruiting. Not sure what you mean by " quit recruiting for 2 years"..After the Mercer clasd, which was 1996, is when I thought he "slowed". But still had some good, quality talent.
We can agree to disagree here. I didn't see any slow down in what he was doing at UK, when he left.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Huh? His last team had Mercer as a soph...Naz as a soph...Scott Padgett as a soph...Jamal as a frosh...Edwards was a junior. Wayne Turner a soph. I doubt there would have been to much of a rebuild. He was only.going to lose Mercer.
As for recruiting. Not sure what you mean by " quit recruiting for 2 years"..After the Mercer clasd, which was 1996, is when I thought he "slowed". But still had some good, quality talent.
We can agree to disagree here. I didn't see any slow down in what he was doing at UK, when he left.

no stars on that 98 team
after 98 what was left........very little

lets say Tubby had a better run and UK does not hire BCG or Cal
i bet Cal would have ended up at IU and after Tubby BD would have ended up at UK

no stars on that 98 team
after 98 what was left........very little

lets say Tubby had a better run and UK does not hire BCG or Cal
i bet Cal would have ended up at IU and after Tubby BD would have ended up at UK
That 98 team was pretty good, brother. And IMO had Rick stayed, the talent would've been better. He knew he was leaving in 97. It's why the recruiting fell off. But let's not a t as if UK's 98 team wasn t good, and a bunch of scrubs. That wasn t the case at all.

Cal was interested in the Indiana job. IU was more interested in a minority hire. Damn shame Cal isn't black.

Reactions: mebeblue2
That 98 team was pretty good, brother. And IMO had Rick stayed, the talent would've been better. He knew he was leaving in 97. It's why the recruiting fell off. But let's not a t as if UK's 98 team wasn t good, and a bunch of scrubs. That wasn t the case at all.

Cal was interested in the Indiana job. IU was more interested in a minority hire. Damn shame Cal isn't black.

of course it was good
they were the best team in 98
i just don't think Pitino wins it all withg them
as i stated, Tubby did the best coaching job of my lifetime with the 98 team in the NCAAT

i think at some point had Cal not ended up at UK he would have been at IU
Cal wanted a passionate fanbase
only a handful of fanbases come close to BBN, IU is one of them

of course it was good
they were the best team in 98
i just don't think Pitino wins it all withg them
as i stated, Tubby did the best coaching job of my lifetime with the 98 team in the NCAAT

i think at some point had Cal not ended up at UK he would have been at IU
Cal wanted a passionate fanbase
only a handful of fanbases come close to BBN, IU is one of them
Cal could have been at IU. But the powers to be, wanted a minority hire. Went with Sampson. Indiana's issues could have been solved long ago. But the BOT felt the need to hire KS. FRUSTRATING. Could've been Matta...Couldve been Cal...Nope.

I agree with Tubby coaching in 98 NCAA. He was great. Pulled the right string every time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT