4. North Carolina +34.45
5. Arizona +32.65
6. Michigan State +31.64
7. Villanova +30.03
8. Louisville +29.86
9. Florida +29.56
10. Texas +28.78

Reactions: CB3UK and Quavarius
lol really? So by this same standard, Georgia Tech was the 2nd or 3rd greatest program in the 90's?
I don't think this has any bearing on the OT. It was just a place to link the tweet.

I'm ok with UK being #2 with the entire UK careers of Tubby and Gillispie being included, (and one year shy of another UK title). I have nothing to prove, just thought the tweet was interesting.

Reactions: RipThru
I don't think this has any bearing on the OT. It was just a place to link the tweet.

I'm ok with UK being #2 with the entire UK careers of Tubby and Gillispie being included,.
Why are you guys so "down" on Tubby? He won 76% of his games...5 r3gular season and 5 tournament SEC titles. Won a national title. But you treat it as if it were some "dark times" for the program. And look, before you hit me with the, "we expect more...we are UK, crap.." Realize that before Tubby arrived.....a span of 20 years with Joe B and Rick, UK had been to a total of four FF's; From 1978 to 1998. Went to two under Hall ...2 with Rick. I just don't get the "hate" with Tubby. Shit he was as good if not better than Hall. I don't see you including the " Hall years". Why not? I get it that Joe B went to 3 FF's, in 13 seasons. But he also went to the NIT, and twice failed to get past the 2nd round. I love Joe B. Underrated coach IMO. But, damn , y'all act like you had 10 years of BCG, and 2 years of Tubby.

Why are you guys so "down" on Tubby? He won 76% of his games...5 r3gular season and 5 tournament SEC titles. Won a national title. But you treat it as if it were some "dark times" for the program. And look, before you hit me with the, "we expect more...we are UK, crap.." Realize that before Tubby arrived.....a span of 20 years with Joe B and Rick, UK had been to a total of four FF's; From 1978 to 1998. Went to two under Hall ...2 with Rick. I just don't get the "hate" with Tubby. Shit he was as good if not better than Hall. I don't see you including the " Hall years". Why not? I get it that Joe B went to 3 FF's, in 13 seasons. But he also went to the NIT, and twice failed to get past the 2nd round. I love Joe B. Underrated coach IMO. But, damn , y'all act like you had 10 years of BCG, and 2 years of Tubby.
Tubby was responsible for our longest streak w/o a Final four. Also Tubby, Gillispie and Calipari were the only coaches eligible for this thread.(edit: Pitino one year, my bad)

Thanks for taking the time to look up a lot of old history forUK. BTW, didn't Rick go to three FFs?

fwiw, Ken sent me a message saying UK would be ahead of Duke if we went back to '96

But to answer your initial question. Tubby, again, was the coach for our largest missing FF streak. One hand everyone says, "only UK titles count" on the other FF don't count, he won 76%.(below average for a UK coach).

UK-BANNERS2.jpg

Last edited:
Tubby was responsible for our longest streak w/o a Final four. Also Tubby, Gillispie and Calipari were the only coaches eligible for this thread.(edit: Pitino one year, my bad)

Thanks for taking the time to look up a lot of old history forUK. BTW, didn't Rick go to three FFs?

fwiw, Ken sent me a message saying UK would be ahead of Duke if we went back to '96

But to answer your initial question. Tubby, again, was the coach for our largest missing FF streak. One hand everyone says, "only UK titles count" on the other FF don't count, he won 76%.(below average for a UK coach).

UK-BANNERS2.jpg
76% is below average for a UK coach? Then I guess you see Joe B as bellow average? His winning percentage was "only" 74%.
As for the FF drought,and Tubby. Meh..Again, a product of the entitlement some of you feel. Shit Rupp went 7 seasons w/o a Final Four. MOF, he only went to the FF twice in his final 14 seasons. Back then for the most part, you sometimes only had to win 2 games to make the FF; OPPOSED to having to win 4 today. Not to mention the ability of playing on your home.floor.
Look I don't think Tubby is some great coach. But I do think he's pretty darn good. And to place him in a category of an also ran, i.e. BCG, placing his era as a "dark era", is absolutely asinine.

76% is below average for a UK coach? Then I guess you see Joe B as bellow average? His winning percentage was "only" 74%.
As for the FF drought,and Tubby. Meh..Again, a product of the entitlement some of you feel. Shit Rupp went 7 seasons w/o a Final Four. MOF, he only went to the FF twice in his final 14 seasons. Back then for the most part, you sometimes only had to win 2 games to make the FF; OPPOSED to having to win 4 today. Not to mention the ability of playing on your home.floor.
Look I don't think Tubby is some great coach. But I do think he's pretty darn good. And to place him in a category of an also ran, i.e. BCG, placing his era as a "dark era", is absolutely asinine.
sigh, just look at our history before and after. Even with those coaches (and sutton included), we have a higher average win % than them. two, look at how Tubby went the longest w/o a final four.

UK-BANNERS2.jpg

He also said Duke would be ahead of UK if he went back 5 more years before ‘96 :D

He also said Duke would be ahead of UK if he went back 5 more years before ‘96 :D
Did he tell tell you that? He said he didn't have data to go back before '95. I think you're making stuff up.

None of this really matters due to specific time eras,and again,I'm ok with us putting up a score we did with Tubby and Gillispie.

We really know Kings of College Basketball,and the johnny come latelies. Winking

Last edited:
With as much time as you spent typing this novel, you could have easily googled your question. Yes, 76.0% is below average for a winning percentage at UK.
You do know the question was rather rhetorical ---right? It was simply a leading point to the fact that Joe B Hall, who's in the HOF, had a lower winning percentage than Tubby. I wasn t literally asking if 76% is below average for a UK coach. I know the answer. Google wasn t needed. My point is, Tubby had a higher winning percentage, same amount of titles, as Joe B. Yet, Tubbys era was compared along with BCG. Which is stupid .

sigh, just look at our history before and after. Even with those coaches (and sutton included), we have a higher average win % than them. two, look at how Tubby went the longest w/o a final four.
Tubby went w/o a FF a mere two years linger [9-7], than Rupp. Anyways...If you're pimping your win percentage even with Tubby, well color me confused .Why wouldn't you use Joe B and Sutton instead? Both had lower winning percentages than Smith; Hall 74%...Sutton 69%. Just asking.

Tubby went w/o a FF a mere two years linger [9-7], than Rupp. Anyways...If you're pimping your win percentage even with Tubby, well color me confused .Why wouldn't you use Joe B and Sutton instead? Both had lower winning percentages than Smith; Hall 74%...Sutton 69%. Just asking.
reread the thread. I said I'm glad with #2 since '97, even with Smith and Gillispie entire careers.

Actually, you're right. Every stat you said was true. I don't know what I was thinking.

Last edited:
reread the thread. I said I'm glad with #2 since '97, even with Smith and Gillispie entire careers.

Actually, you're right. Every stat you said was true. I don't know what I was thinking.
I love ya brother . I'll try and call soon. Just trying to get settled in, and get the wife squared away.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Thank the population rise in Texas and more importance placed on basketball. Rick Barnes came around this time. Think his first season was 99. But Penders won a good number of games.

Texas as of right now is around the same number of NBA players as the BlueBlood programs. Kansas, UNC, Kentucky and Duke.

the last 3 yrs of Tubby were brutal. He had some good teams, some of my favorites since thats when I was at UK, but it was definitely time when we split.

ADVERTISEMENT