ADVERTISEMENT

Kenpom #33 Minnesota (13-16)

Don't think they go nit do ya? Say they make a deep run to the tourney to the championship game, any chance they make it in the dance?

I’ll just say Oturu and Carr are good, probably can start for UK/KU.
It's interesting how and who Self is recruiting at KU. Had a kid from Lincoln class from 2020 and kid from Omaha, 5 star on visits tonight. Looks as of Might be going away from the OAD. And no, this year neither of those players starts for either school imo.

Oturu is probably the best big man in the country. He definitely starts at UK this year.

It's interesting how and who Self is recruiting at KU. Had a kid from Lincoln class from 2020 and kid from Omaha, 5 star on visits tonight. Looks as of Might be going away from the OAD. And no, this year neither of those players starts for either school imo.

Williams and Sallis?

Williams and Sallis?
Williams is surprising. Hoiberg had him practically signed. My guess he red shirts at KU, transfers out. Rumors attitude issues around Lincoln with Hoibergs staff. So far not impressed with Hoibergs recruiting approach. Self must see something he likes.

Sallis, chance to start year 1. Don't see how he passes up playing at KU vs. Nebraska. Allen Fieldhouse. Think he's Kansas bound.

Reactions: jwardelt
I would have to go with Garza, although they are completely different players.
It's also relative to the system they're in. Id love to see an Iowa Kansas matchup in the tourney. This would be a fun matchup to watch. I'd favor Doke on defense and athleticism. Kansas is just too rounded, easier for Doke to score. Jmo though. Btw, even with size how did Garza do at Pinnacle Bank Arena?

OP do you understand what KENPOM is?

Ken Pom isn’t a ranking system
Yes it is. Whether you want to use the word rankings, or "ratings", it' still slots all the teams in order of 1 to 323 based on efficiency. Just because it uses a formula and not human voting doesn't mean it's not a rankings system.

I assure you I know what Kenpom is. I was trying to make a point showing how ineffective some of these systems really can be sometimes.

And BPI is even worse.

It’s because they play in the Big Ten 12 out of the top 36 teams in Kenpom are from the Big Ten. We had a successful non conference, which helps
Boosts their stats.

I feel like the word ranking is being misconstrued for rating.

Teams are rated in Kenpom, based on their performance, and who they have played, and how those games have gone. It isn't to say that they are the 33rd best team, but that when compared to teams 34 and worse, they'd likely be favored on a neutral court. I don't think rating and ranking are interchangeable. Probably semantics but oh well

While I’ve never been the type to fully buy into any computer rating systems, I would also argue that there’s a pretty big drop-off in quality after the top 30 or so.

Which teams rated below them have been definitively better throughout the season?

Yes it is. Whether you want to use the word rankings, or "ratings", it' still slots all the teams in order of 1 to 323 based on efficiency. Just because it uses a formula and not human voting doesn't mean it's not a rankings system.

I assure you I know what Kenpom is. I was trying to make a point showing how ineffective some of these systems really can be sometimes.

And BPI is even worse.

Kenpom is predictive but no system is perfect. Minnesota swept the same OSU team that beat UK. Majority of their losses are single digits, several of their wins are by double digits.

If Minnesota had a better coach they would be NCAA bound. They’ve given away so many games after the under 4 timeout. They have talent but they don’t know how to win games down the stretch.

It's also relative to the system they're in. Id love to see an Iowa Kansas matchup in the tourney. This would be a fun matchup to watch. I'd favor Doke on defense and athleticism. Kansas is just too rounded, easier for Doke to score. Jmo though. Btw, even with size how did Garza do at Pinnacle Bank Arena?
He had 16 pts and 18 rebs.

Iowa also shot 4 of 33 from 3-pt.

How'd he do in the second meeting?

Oh man, you are in trouble once all the analytics geeks start chiming in. "Cause Big 10 is DOMINANT!!!" RollLaugh
not really the bottom 4 are set in stone. Purdue is not that far above them. they need to win out and win at least 2 in the BTT to get on the bubble.

to me when a team beats 2 team rated higher than them and the 2 teams they beat stay the same and the winning team stays the same that shows just how worthless they are and the clincher when that team lost to a lower rated team they drop 6 spots.

talk about showing how bad that ranking is.

What do you consider a good ranking system?
one that does not use a point spread, one that rates them on wins and losses vs their opponents,

sorry when a team beats a top 15 team and does rise. there is a problem, then again that same team beats a top 20 and does not rise. there is a MAJOR problem in that system.

teams that beat top 20 level teams deserve to go up especially when that team is a top 30 team and are still behind them in the rating.

What do you consider a good ranking system?
now you explain to me how a team that is 13-16 can still be a top 50 team.
then you have a team that was 15-14 upsets a top 30 team and they go from #33 to #32 like how does a team with a record of 15-14 even be rated #33 in the 1st place.

And BPI is even worse.

Ok boomer

The last place team in the Pac 12 (Washington) has a higher NET rating than the 1st place team in the Pac 12 (UCLA)

that’s what happens when Washington is one of 3 teams to beat Baylor and UCLA lost to 274th ranked Cal-State Fulerton.

that’s what happens when Washington is one of 3 teams to beat Baylor and UCLA lost to 274th ranked Cal-State Fulerton.
if they were as good as that ranking then the should not be at the bottom of the PAC 12 so your type of logic is flawed. sorry but you don't reward a team for losing a loss is still a loss.

not when other teams don't get rewarded for beating higher ranked teams,

a winning team should get a better rating for beating higher rated teams.

to use Iowa they are #34 in spite of 9 quad 1 wins
7 wins vs top 25 teams
the most by any team in D1 BB

there is no logical reason for them not to be a top 15 let alone top 20 team. this weekend they have a chance to record their 10th quad 1 win and 8th top 25 win.

there is one team with 11 quad 1 wins and 1 maybe 2 with 10 quad 1 wins, but none of them are even or ahead of them in top 25 wins.

the net is hot garbage. it needs a MAJOR OVERHAUL.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
ADVERTISEMENT