ADVERTISEMENT

Kenpom 2019-2020 rankings

MGC_07

Jun 29, 2016
https://kenpom.com/

New rankings just came out. MSU is 1st, with almost a 2 point difference to number 2, UK.

Other notable placements

UVA at 5

Purdue at 7

Kansas at 10

Florida State at 14

Take these with a grain of salt. Preseason I tend to think human rankings are better. Kenpom becomes a lot more useful in February/March

Reactions: GE Nole
The entire concept of preseason computer rankings makes little sense to me. A formula can’t predict a high school player’s performance in college, or the improvement of returnees.

The entire concept of preseason computer rankings makes little sense to me. A formula can’t predict a high school player’s performance in college, or the improvement of returnees.
Agreed

THis. KenPom is useless in Nov, Dec and even into Jan.
Is it? For example, Purdue was still a top 20 KP team last year when they were 6-5 and it took them around a month and a half to crack back into the AP rankings. I think KP is way more accurate than any human poll that just looks at wins & losses. That Purdue team was still clearly better than its record indicated, and KP showed that as well.

Reactions: Quavarius
Is it? For example, Purdue was still a top 20 KP team last year when they were 6-5 and it took them around a month and a half to crack back into the AP rankings. I think KP is way more accurate than any human poll that just looks at wins & losses. That Purdue team was still clearly better than its record indicated, and KP showed that as well.
A system such as KenPom is based off numbers. This is October. Exactly what numbers does Ken have?

Last years.

As I said---KenPom in Nov, Dec and Jan, is pretty useless.

A system such as KenPom is based off numbers. This is October. Exactly what numbers does Ken have?

Last years.

As I said---KenPom in Nov, Dec and Jan, is pretty useless.
Well the college basketball community thinks otherwise lol.

Well the college basketball community thinks otherwise lol.
What basketball community? Purdue? Maybe you are misunderstanding my post? I think once Jan, i.e. conference play, rolls around, KP is very accurate. But preseason? No. How can it be? I mean if so, I am really high on Indiana. They just lost to #17 Marquette, by 3, w/o their starting backcourt. Shiiiiiiit, man. Maybe this KenPom shit is right. Hoosiers gonna rock, baby....

I’m with you on this one. Statistical models require data. The more good data the better. Until a fair amount of games are played they could potentially give some really odd results. Midway through the year they can be very good.
I mean, to me its common sense. A system that requires data, i.e. numbers, doesn't seem to reliable when there is NO data. In essence, its simply a poll as of now.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
THis. KenPom is useless in Nov, Dec and even into Jan.
It's actually starting to normalize by mid-December each year. Prior year results fall off as games are played and while prior year is still a factor by then, current year overcomes that for the most part.

But yes, pretty useless in October and November.

Last edited:
Pretty sure this preseason computer model was devised by @fluoxetine. Some teams are given a little too much respect for last year (ie: Virginia, Purdue, Tennessee).

If you want to hate on a human poll, I'll be releasing my top 50 tomorrow. It's bound to be one of the worst of all-time.

Fluoxetine works for Kenpom?

Purdue ranking makes me pause. I think they'll be pretty solid but never thought they'd be top 10 good. With that said I was wrong last year and KP is a smart man. Will monitor.

ADVERTISEMENT