ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne takes job w/the Knicks

Bruiser Flint has already been hired. Matt Jones wasn’t big on the hire but I don’t know a lot about Flint other than he coached at UMasd.

Cal is now the old fat dude who talks about how successful he was back in the day. Feels bad man.

Bruiser is fine. Seems like a great guy. I am not mad to see him leave IU though. He was the lead for Keion and we see how that worked out for IU. He was also the lead with Aminu Mohammed so you may see UK get involved there.

Reactions: TheBlueCat
I'm not sad to see Flint leave. He swung and missed a lot. Didn't seem to get along with Miller, either.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Was a poor recruiter at IU (that might change at UK) but he was notorious for getting in verbal altercations with coaches on the sidelines. I was surprised he wasn't fired.

Was a poor recruiter at IU (that might change at UK) but he was notorious for getting in verbal altercations with coaches on the sidelines. I was surprised he wasn't fired.
He was Cal's assistant for 7 years at UMass, and they are very good friends, so I would think that dynamic is fine.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Cal can simply become more active in the recruiting process (visits, etc) if Bruiser struggles. (Not sure how he could do that as much as UK recruits itself.)

….Tubby and Billy Clyde are long gone. Cal does what Cal does.... not sure how much he'll delegate to Bruiser.
Cal does what he does, but he can't do it all. Recruiting is a critical element for assistant coaches. We saw how it dropped off for a while after Antigua left. They were still getting stellar classes, but they weren't reeling in many of their top targets.

Cal can simply become more active in the recruiting process (visits, etc) if Bruiser struggles. (Not sure how he could do that as much as UK recruits itself.)
Though the brand certainly helps, its not the reason kids go to UK----See Tubby and BCG. This isn't 20+ years ago where the name Duke, UK, IU, UNC, KU, etc....drove the bus. Today, kids go to a school b/c of coaches...Not because of the name.

Everything I’ve read from UK fans, IU fans, and neutral analysts, this was a bad hire for us.
IMO the ONLY thing good about it is, Cal and Flint seem to gel, work well together---THen again, that was 20 years ago.

As of now, I think its a "meh", possibly bad hire. I certainly feel UK could've done better. TBH, I never was that enamored with Flint. He came off as, "being to good", to be an asst....Probably why he and Miller often bumped heads.

Have you forgotten many of the Tubby and Gillispie years? Kids aren't coming to UK just because it's UK.
I'm just saying that's how he was for IU, he might be awesome for Kentucky who knows? Honestly I'm glad he's gone, he should've been fired last year.

Never implied that......Jesus.Laughing.
What did you imply by saying, "that was 20 years ago..." then? Like the dynamic between Calipari and Flint would be different this time around just because they haven't coached together in a long time? Jesus. Laughing

What did you imply by saying, "that was 20 years ago..." then? Like the dynamic between Calipari and Flint would be different this time around just because they haven't coached together in a long time? Jesus. Laughing
I know crazy, thought huh? Highly unlikely people would change over a 20 year span...The statement of Flint not getting alng with MIller(at times), and the 20 year gap with Cal, were tottally separate. You said he(flint) coached with Cal at Umass----I simply responed with----"that was 20 years ago". Interpret it how you like..

I know crazy, thought huh? Highly unlikely people would change over a 20 year span...The statement of Flint not getting alng with MIller(at times), and the 20 year gap with Cal, were tottally separate. You said he(flint) coached with Cal at Umass----I simply responed with----"that was 20 years ago". Interpret it how you like..
giphy.gif

My totally non informed prediction is that Bryce Hopkins will go to Kentucky and Bruiser will be a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT