ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas

200.gif

Yeah we are struggling and we definitely are not that good this year. However, I love people talking about AP rankings. People forget how hard it is to win a national title in college basketball. People that make fun of Kansas for national titles either have less, equal or maybe 1-2 more than KU. Congrats. CBB is the worst way to determine a champion. Almost every team that wins it is a very very good team but not always the best.

You can’t be serious. The best way to determine a championship would be a tournament consisting of the top 16 teams. Not saying I necessarily want them to do that because March madness is really fun.

Yeah because upsets dont ever happen. You think Kansas was the best team in 88?

Sure, upsets happen. But if you’re goal is to crown the best overall team then cutting it to 16 teams isn’t going to make it much better. Upsets will still happen. How often does the top overall seed lose before the sweet 16? UVA in 2018 and KU in 2010 immediately come to mind, but I’m struggling to come up with many others.

But on another note, if you are the best overall team and you lose in the first two games to an overmatched opponent, then I think you’ve shown you don’t deserve it anyway.

On the top 16 battling it out, I’ll just note this. Since tournament expansion, there has been a total of 35 champions crowned (including Louisville). Of those 35, only 3 were worse than a 4 seed (Nova in 85, KU in 88, and UCONN in 14). So over 91% of the time the theoretical top 16 are winning anyway.

I like the tournament as is. The best team doesn’t always win, but most of the time it’s a really solid squad that is playing their best basketball at the right time. If you’re really the best, go out and prove it. The first weekend shouldn’t be much if a hurdle anyway.

You can’t be serious. The best way to determine a championship would be a tournament consisting of the top 16 teams. Not saying I necessarily want them to do that because March madness is really fun.

I don’t think trimming the field way down would change much. Best way to determine a champ wouid be to play series.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Yea but then the only teams who would make the series are the ones who were ranked high preseason or lose less games than everyone else, which would by and far go right back to preseason rankings unless the 16th ranked team just happened to have a better record than the 17th ranked team.

Take Louisville as an example. We are 10-3, with no real wow wins, 1 bad loss, 1 ugly af loss. But if we’d been top 10 preseason we’d still likely still be there, just bc we only have 3 losses atm. Now I don’t think we are a top 10 team atm, just using us as an example. Kansas would be the other end, I doubt they would still be ranked if they weren’t ranked fairly high in the preseason.

It always seems to go back to preseason rankings if the number of losses is similar. Plus then what about conf tourneys?

Yea but then the only teams who would make the series are the ones who were ranked high preseason or lose less games than everyone else, which would by and far go right back to preseason rankings unless the 16th ranked team just happened to have a better record than the 17th ranked team.

Take Louisville as an example. We are 10-3, with no real wow wins, 1 bad loss, 1 ugly af loss. But if we’d been top 10 preseason we’d still likely still be there, just bc we only have 3 losses atm. Now I don’t think we are a top 10 team atm, just using us as an example. Kansas would be the other end, I doubt they would still be ranked if they weren’t ranked fairly high in the preseason.

It always seems to go back to preseason rankings if the number of losses is similar. Plus then what about conf tourneys?

^^^this. FSU was even ranked preseason, has only 2 losses, wins over Indiana, UF, UNC, Louisville, and Clemson, and we might be lucky to be in the 21-25 range this week.

^^^this. FSU was even ranked preseason, has only 2 losses, wins over Indiana, UF, UNC, Louisville, and Clemson, and we might be lucky to be in the 21-25 range this week.
ACC is awful this year according to the "experts"

Sometimes they are wrong.

This doesn't have anything to do with Kansas
You think Florida State would have done better with KUs schedule.

Kansas does have wins over Texas Tech, WVU and Creighton

Reactions: KisteK
ACC is awful this year according to the "experts"

Sometimes they are wrong.

This doesn't have anything to do with Kansas
You think Florida State would have done better with KUs schedule.

Kansas does have wins over Texas Tech, WVU and Creighton

No he’s saying if FSU was top 10 preseason they’d likely be ranked like 3rd right now with the exact same results.

And it’s obv a flawed system when teams like duke and UK were ranked so highly preseason. And I’m not saying I could pick em any better bc you can’t truly gauge a team until you see it imo.

If they started the rankings after New Years or something, maybe but then teams would jsut schedule soft until then. Preseason rankings play a huge part in college sports, football even more so bc they only take 4. So the less you take the more the preseason rankings will matter in maintaining a ranking to make the “series”

Last edited:
Reactions: tarwhiz
No he’s saying if FSU was top 10 preseason they’d likely be ranked like 3rd right now with the exact same results.

And it’s obv a flawed system when teams like duke and UK were ranked so highly preseason. And I’m not saying I could pick em any better bc you can’t truly gauge a team until you see it imo.

If they started the rankings after New Years or something, maybe but then teams would jsut schedule soft until then. Preseason rankings play a huge part in college sports, football even more so bc they only take 4. So the less you take the more the preseason rankings will matter in maintaining a ranking to make the “series”

The issue is that UNC and Dukes fall has hurt Florida State

Florida State doesn't have a big time win

All the schools in "better conferences" do

Kansas stayed up there because they have wins over Creighton, Tx Tech and WV

Reactions: KisteK
Yeah that is what I said. Great call Kevin
Sounds like it, since your argument is that the tournament should only be 16 teams. Is that your opinion because some high seeded KU teams have been bounced in the 1st or 2nd round recently? How would you even determine who those 16 teams are? I would love to hear that.

Sure, upsets happen. But if you’re goal is to crown the best overall team then cutting it to 16 teams isn’t going to make it much better. Upsets will still happen. How often does the top overall seed lose before the sweet 16? UVA in 2018 and KU in 2010 immediately come to mind, but I’m struggling to come up with many others.

But on another note, if you are the best overall team and you lose in the first two games to an overmatched opponent, then I think you’ve shown you don’t deserve it anyway.
Wichita state 2014

Sounds like it, since your argument is that the tournament should only be 16 teams. Is that your opinion because some high seeded KU teams have been bounced in the 1st or 2nd round recently? How would you even determine who those 16 teams are? I would love to hear that.
Obviously you cant read. I said I dont want them to do that. I am stating a fact that it is the worst way to determine a champion compared to all other sports. The KU teams that "should have" won a title didnt lose in the first or second round except the 2010 team. This has nothing to do with Kansas.

Obviously you cant read. I said I dont want them to do that. I am stating a fact that it is the worst way to determine a champion compared to all other sports. The KU teams that "should have" won a title didnt lose in the first or second round except the 2010 team. This has nothing to do with Kansas.
Then why is it the worst way to determine a champion? If a high seed gets bounced in the 1st or 2nd round they obviously weren't that bulletproof and didn't deserve to win it all anyway. The worst way to determine a champion is how football does it, by the way.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Then why is it the worst way to determine a champion? If a high seed gets bounced in the 1st or 2nd round they obviously weren't that bulletproof and didn't deserve to win it all anyway. The worst way to determine a champion is how football does it, by the way.
HAHAHAHA now that is funny. Football is the worst? IDC if you are talking NFL or College. You couldnt be more wrong. For the record I think college should have 8 teams in just for the fun of it.

Tourney wise the best way would be a sweet 16. The true best way is a best of 3 series of a 16 team tourney. I am fine with march madness. I love it. You have very good teams winning it all 91% of the time but the best way would be the 16 team (series) tourney.

Finally something Kansas can be first in
Man you really got us. It sucks being one of the 4 best programs in the country. I wouldnt rank us 1st. Tough life we live here as Kansas fans.

ADVERTISEMENT