ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas vs Kentucky (Let’s try this again)

I do shift work, listened to it here. Dont think Ill watch the DVR. Like CUJO said, sounded like a bunch of AAU garbage from both teams. I didnt know who the hell Kansas guys were either.

Id be a lot easier to accept this stuff if guys returned. Theres just zero joy in watching the growth journey when guys arent around as juniors and seniors to give us the fruits of these labors.

Honestly the just poor play and lack of competent college basketball execution has me more put off than anything. This stuff is just less and less worth my time.

Anyway congrats Kansas. Lord knows we shit talked enough this week! Y'all deserve to crow a little
Ehh, even if UK won I don’t think either side has much to be happy about. The win will do but gd we have a year of rock fights coming up.

Ehh, even if UK won I don’t think either side has much to be happy about. The win will do but gd we have a year of rock fights coming up.
That is exactly what I garnered listening to the KY radio broadcast. Its a damn shame. When Kentucky and Kansas get together it SHOULD be a showcase for college basketball for casual sports fans and fence riders.

I know things will be different in March for both teams, but again, I personally just get less and less excited about that each year knowing the roster turnover that awaits.

It is what it is at this point.

My thoughts.

-KU got a favorable whistle in the game. KU was also far more aggressive attacking the basket in the game. Most people will tell you the more aggressive team will get the more favorable whistle the majority of the time. Still UK had a few very questionable calls go against them.

-Both teams suck on offense for different reasons. UK doesn’t try to go inside enough. They prefer to stay on the outside and shoot perimeter shots and go 1-on-1. KU tries to go inside when their strength is 5 out drive and kick. KU probably wasted 15-20 possession trying to play through McCormack.

-I thought both teams plays solid defense. I think the fact that they both played into the hands of the other team helped their defenses. KU ratchet it up in the 2nd half with pressure and defending 5 feet out from the 3pt line. UK was great causing problems for KU with their length.

-UK plays too much for 1-on-1. Boston is good but not efficient enough yet to go every time he touches the ball. Clarke disappeared. Askew is not good right now and Mintz should be playing over him. Not sure why UK didn’t try to go inside when KU went small.

-KU can’t continue to try and play through McCormack or they’ll find themselves in big holes every game. He just isn’t any good. Wilson carried KU that 2nd half. Dude is just always around the ball. Big shot from Agbaji late. Garrett looked out of it especially late. I think he’s gonna give everyone in the game Corona. Braun struggled with UK’s length but he’s another guy like Wilson who just always plays with effort and around the ball.

-I felt KU ended up winning this game because they played with more effort and energy especially in the 2nd half. Neither team is good right now. Both will probably lose 8-10+ games this year. Just sucks for UK that 90% of their team will be gone after the year. At least KU will have 80-90% of their team back next year. Barring major probation.

The only positive spin I have is that this was almost a mirror image of the matchup between these teams a few years ago, and that became a great offensive team that reached the final four.

Their length gave a raw team fits, just like tonight. Even the numbers were similar across the board. I don't think we'll see many shooting performances like this.

I am worried that McCormack will never turn the corner. At this rate, they're going to have to bump him down in the rotation and play small with Wilson at the 5.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The only positive spin I have is that this was almost a mirror image of the matchup between these teams a few years ago, and that became a great offensive team that reached the final four.

Their length gave a raw team fits, just like tonight. Even the numbers were similar across the board. I don't think we'll see many shooting performances like this.

I am worried that McCormack will never turn the corner. At this rate, they're going to have to bump him down in the rotation and play small with Wilson at the 5.
You could tell Garrett was a shell of himself all game. Inexcusable turnovers.

That is exactly what I garnered listening to the KY radio broadcast. Its a damn shame. When Kentucky and Kansas get together it SHOULD be a showcase for college basketball for casual sports fans and fence riders.

I know things will be different in March for both teams, but again, I personally just get less and less excited about that each year knowing the roster turnover that awaits.

It is what it is at this point.
I think that would drive me nuts too if I was a UK fan. Signing all the 5 stars that you do is fun and all. I like our typical balance of 4/5 stars. Of course I wish it led to more titles. This year we definitely don’t have the typical amount we do which is always less than Duke/UK but more than anyone else. As a result we get a lot of returning players.

It was incredible watching Mason/Graham/Dok etc as opposed to Wiggins/Jackson/Oubre etc

Listening to KSR postgame show....Matt is echoing exactly what Ive thought...why on Earth are we trotting Askew out there. Cal is too stubborn for his own good.
Idk how Askew was the #1 PG. he looks terrible. DaJuan Harris was all over him. Jackson plays good defense and Boston has some talent. He will come on kinda like Kevin Knox eventually did

Good Game, Hawks.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Early college basketball games generally aren’t good. Teams pick it up come March.

happy with KU’s toughness especially when it was clear UK’s length was bothering us and we got down 12. Finding a way to win with our 3 most experienced and reliable players struggling to hit shots (Braun, Anahi, and Garrett) was impressive to me despite the ugliness of the game. Wilson and Harris are emerging and still growing. That is a good sign to me.

we still haven’t gotten anything from Thompson and McCormack. Both are going to be key contributors once they settle in. I think you can see the signs of this team being really good eventually.

The effort defensively was much better. Switching better, communicating better and one on one defense was better.

ugly game but I am pleased. I see the workings of a good team.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You could tell Garrett was a shell of himself all game. Inexcusable turnovers.

Yeah, he clearly wasn’t doing well. The whole team was out of sorts for the first 10-15 min. At least they did enough to win on a night when they couldn’t throw one into the ocean.

Idk how Askew was the #1 PG. he looks terrible. DaJuan Harris was all over him. Jackson plays good defense and Boston has some talent. He will come on kinda like Kevin Knox eventually did

To be fair, I really think Harris is gonna be good. He’s already showing flashes in his limited time. You can be pretty sure that when Self offers a low-ranked PG with no major offers, that he’s seen something that recruiting evaluators missed. Harris is athletic and quick, plays good defense, and distributes the ball well. He doesn’t look for his shot yet, but I’ve seen nothing to lead me to believe that he won’t develop that part of his game.

I think that would drive me nuts too if I was a UK fan. Signing all the 5 stars that you do is fun and all. I like our typical balance of 4/5 stars. Of course I wish it led to more titles. This year we definitely don’t have the typical amount we do which is always less than Duke/UK but more than anyone else. As a result we get a lot of returning players.

It was incredible watching Mason/Graham/Dok etc as opposed to Wiggins/Jackson/Oubre etc
A combo of 4/5 stars I think can lead to a more dominant team, if you have a good combination of good young talent with a handful of solid 2-4 year players as well. You have the best combination of high ceiling with experienced/organized play. When you do it this way, you have to wait for that right combination though to have a truly dominant team that stands a good chance at a title. KU finally had that last year. Best team since '08 with regards to talent/experience combination. So of course a pandemic had to ruin things. It was the first time in a while I was truly confident in KU's post season prospects. They were the first team in 10 years that I thought could beat anybody, even when shots aren't falling. We went 16-0 after adjusting our lineup, including some tough road wins. I still don't see why they couldn't have isolated the players in hotels to prevent exposure.

All of that being said.... The 5 star freshman route can work too, if you can get the dominant lineups that Cal was able to get 8-10 years ago. Those teams were great.

Reactions: KUhawks34
I honestly dont either. Hes supposed to be a senior in HS. And right now, I believe it.

I think he was the #1 PG in his original class but fell behind a handful after the reclass. Maybe I’m remembering wrong but for some reason I think he landed in the top 25 - 35 of prospects after the switch.

Last edited:
May have to stay off rafters for a little, the amount of cal fanboys over there is astounding.
Lmao I got a 3 day ban the other day over there. Im not sure for what yet...you cant check your notifications. I was pretty drunk Sunday and posted a lot so whatever I said I probably earned it 😆

Regardless, my stance on Cal is its time. He has "fawk you" money...he isnt going to change. Its clear his priority is teaching kids in a "minor league" capacity for the NBA and everything else doesnt matter. I just cant support that. If I thought hed try to change and balance things then Id give him more leeway. He gets paid too much money for us to watch this kinda junk every year. And Lord knows we pay way too much to go to Rupp to sit through it.

Hell our 4 stars don't even hang around lol Every year we face the same thing, a team that cannot put a complete game together. This year is probably worse and going take longer to get it. Both teams looked bad overall. Survival of the less worser lol

Hell our 4 stars don't even hang around lol Every year we face the same thing, a team that cannot put a complete game together. This year is probably worse and going take longer to get it. Both teams looked bad overall. Survival of the less worser lol

KU obviously didn’t look good that night but I’m pretty confident that they won’t shoot that badly again. In the other three games, they’ve shot above or near 50% from three. And they had a lot of open looks against Kentucky that clanked.

I also don’t think McCormack will have another 1-9 game.

They have plenty to work on, and their overall talent isn’t quite at the usual level, but they’re a lot better than they appeared that night.

Reactions: KUhawks34
KU obviously didn’t look good that night but I’m pretty confident that they won’t shoot that badly again. In the other three games, they’ve shot above or near 50% from three. And they had a lot of open looks against Kentucky that clanked.

I also don’t think McCormack will have another 1-9 game.

They have plenty to work on, and their overall talent isn’t quite at the usual level, but they’re a lot better than they appeared that night.
Agreed. I was impressed with Braun too. He’s a hustler.

Agreed. I was impressed with Braun too. He’s a hustler.

He couldn't drop one in the ocean that night, but a few days earlier, he scored 30 and shot 77%. He was off again last night. Strange, because he seemed pretty steady last year.

He couldn't drop one in the ocean that night, but a few days earlier, he scored 30 and shot 77%. He was off again last night. Strange, because he seemed pretty steady last year.
Everybody always seems to slump when they’re needed most . . . Or at least at UK.

Ive officially jumped off the deep end into the ditch Cal pool, FTR. Ive bitched enough about it on Rafters. I would be more than happy to see him make the changes we kmow he needs to, I personally dont believe he will. At this point on his life he has fawk you money and is close to retirement.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
CBB really needs to get rid of the one and done.
Its not CBB.......Its the NBA. With that being said, I would like for the NCAA/NBA to go the route of MLB...If you get drafted, do not like where you are drafted----you can go to school---BUT, you cannot enter the MLB draft until AFTER your junior year.

I like that.

There's still TV money to have been had. Plus i don't think teams had a choice for this event. Tell it to the ville's favorite sports channel, ESPN lol

Its not CBB.......Its the NBA. With that being said, I would like for the NCAA/NBA to go the route of MLB...If you get drafted, do not like where you are drafted----you can go to school---BUT, you cannot enter the MLB draft until AFTER your junior year.

I like that.

Yep but with the G-league the NBA players don't want it.... Pay the players and lock them in to at least 2 years. Or the NBA could send out official invitations for the draft as well as invitations to the G-league. Go undrafted and return to college. No letter then the NBA is not an option at this time. Stay in college or go overseas.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT