ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State is in the market

I will say.. as a KSU fan I am incredibly ashamed of some of our fans treatment of Coach Weber over the years. We are hanging onto a tradition that pretty much shriveled up in the late 80's. Sure we were a force until then.. but it was Bruce that brought us back to the conference championship level, including two titles. I am proud of Coach and his success. I will miss him, but it was time after the last 3 years.

k state probably should not move on...but he just does not have the personality of a p5 conference basketball coach. He suffers from little man syndrome and while that can be a motivator for some he just came off as self righteous and whiny ( a lot like Izzo without the final fours). He is constantly blaming others for his lack of success and I do not see where he ever takes any of the blame. His teams played hard, I will give him that and I do not think K state can do much better as a coach (Underwood...not a chance) but who knows, maybe they catch lightening in a bottle.

a nike team complaining about the rigged system...a coach who who's best team or one of his 2 best teams was almost all frank martin acquired aau dudes...guy just lacks self awareness

lol.. I think Bruce is gonna be in a grave before the NCAA does anything about toupee Bill and his ilk.
His press conference and bringing up the FBI was laughably petty. Dude got his a$$ pummeled by Self, year in and year out. Lost to Kansas 3 times in the same yr the season they shared the title with us. He sounded like a total C you next tuesday.

lol.. I think Bruce is gonna be in a grave before the NCAA does anything about toupee Bill and his ilk.

Bruce may be cleaner than most, but what does that really mean? Every shoe company is making deals, and Nike obviously is no exception. Bruce just happened to coach a school that isn't a popular destination or it would be no different.

Funny thing is...I've heard stories of benchwarmers during the Wooldridge era getting "hooked up."

That stuff is very prevalent and coaches like Weber just try to capitalize on people's ignorance of the recruiting landscape to gain sympathy and improve their own image.

Gonna make a run for Brad Underwood. It's his last chance to coach here since he's 58, and it is also his dream job. After that, North Texas guy and Archie Miller have been mentioned, as well as KT Turner and a Baylor assistant.

Thankful for the two conference titles and the elite 8 run from Bruce.

Reactions: gocats5611
Bruce may be cleaner than most, but what does that really mean? Every shoe company is making deals, and Nike obviously is no exception. Bruce just happened to coach a school that isn't a popular destination or it would be no different.

Funny thing is...I've heard stories of benchwarmers during the Wooldridge era getting "hooked up."

That stuff is very prevalent and coaches like Weber just try to capitalize on people's ignorance of the recruiting landscape to gain sympathy and improve their own image.
With the talent we got, there is no way Bruce was hooking anyone up. His best players were all under recruited, and any 4 stars with the exception of Pack, have turned out to be total garbage.

Clean as a whistle

With the talent we got, there is no way Bruce was hooking anyone up. His best players were all under recruited, and any 4 stars with the exception of Pack, have turned out to be total garbage.

Clean as a whistle

Well, of course you'd like to think that.

Top 100 players get benefits, and K-State's had a decent number of them during Weber's run.

Clean as a whistle
Most kids who get recruited at the D1 level have recieved something through the years of high school and aau Ball. Just because Bruce never personally signed off on anything doesnt mean he recruited clean kids. Let's not forget he proudle wore Nike for how long, and turned a blind eye to whatever they were doing. Not to mention coached at Illinois. Wonder how many Chicago and St Louis kids he got there...

I will say.. as a KSU fan I am incredibly ashamed of some of our fans treatment of Coach Weber over the years. We are hanging onto a tradition that pretty much shriveled up in the late 80's. Sure we were a force until then.. but it was Bruce that brought us back to the conference championship level, including two titles. I am proud of Coach and his success. I will miss him, but it was time after the last 3 years.
Two titles. One with Martin’s players, and the other was a shared title in which they were 0-3 against the team he shared it with. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good coach from a development and teaching perspective, but he is not a program builder. His programs tend to get a little worse over time. His teams have diminishing value year over year with a good to decent year every 2nd or 3rd year, but generally less decent/good than the previous decent/good team. Kind of like looking at a graph of infections during a pandemic. At the tail end you see resurgence, but each comeback a little less than the previous and you know the direction it is ultimately going.

Reactions: Farm-Cat
Even if Illinois weren’t an objectively better job in a MUCH better recruiting footprint and in a MUCH better spot as a program and even if Underwood hasn’t repeatedly said this has been his dream job since he was at Western Illinois…

… K-State couldn’t even START to compete with Illinois in a bidding war.

Reactions: JhawknZona
Even if Illinois weren’t an objectively better job in a MUCH better recruiting footprint and in a MUCH better spot as a program and even if Underwood hasn’t repeatedly said this has been his dream job since he was at Western Illinois…

I would imagine that's true. We'll just see if it's about money or not I guess. People at K-State think coaching and retiring at his alma mater is his dream.

Well, of course you'd like to think that.

Top 100 players get benefits, and K-State's had a decent number of them during Weber's run.
There's been 1 player, Nijel Pack. And he committed well before he entered the top 100

His dream job is KState.

I am limiting myself to dreaming about McCasland or Baylor's longtime assistant Jerome Tang. I refuse to get my hopes up. lol

Most kids who get recruited at the D1 level have recieved something through the years of high school and aau Ball. Just because Bruce never personally signed off on anything doesnt mean he recruited clean kids. Let's not forget he proudle wore Nike for how long, and turned a blind eye to whatever they were doing. Not to mention coached at Illinois. Wonder how many Chicago and St Louis kids he got there...
Bruce and his assistants have St. Louis ties from their days at SIU, and they have continued to recruit St. Louis. If you have to wonder why they got Chicago players, then I'll pray for you.

I am limiting myself to dreaming about McCasland or Baylor's longtime assistant Jerome Tang. I refuse to get my hopes up. lol
Only thing that's a knock against McCasland is his height. I think he's a stud, and will be sought after by many. I'd like Chris Mack or Archie Miller.

KSU really effed up when Underwood was last available. He would be great in manhattan imo.

There's been 1 player, Nijel Pack. And he committed well before he entered the top 100
It may be true that Weber was clean. Who knows? But man…people don’t understand how prevalent it is. I had a friend who played for Wooldridge at KSU. He got some nice cash payments. He was NOT a top 100 player. If a program as bad as Wooldridge’s wasn’t innocent, it can truly happen anywhere. My next door neighbor when I lived in Manhattan was a 3rd string RB I’m the early 2000s under Snyder and he had a nice leather couch and damn nice stereo/system all paid for by backers. And no I’m not trying to tear down KSU. I’m fully aware of what goes on for KU basketball and I heard some stories while Mangino was in town. I don’t doubt that even as bad as KU football has been, that there’s been some shady dealings. I’ve been of the opinion, due to what I know, that there are really only those who cheat and those who cheat well. There may be a couple clean guys, but they’re rare, and even then, they can’t prevent boosters from doing stuff.

It may be true that Weber was clean. Who knows? But man…people don’t understand how prevalent it is. I had a friend who played for Wooldridge at KSU. He got some nice cash payments. He was NOT a top 100 player. If a program as bad as Wooldridge’s wasn’t innocent, it can truly happen anywhere. My next door neighbor when I lived in Manhattan was a 3rd string RB I’m the early 2000s under Snyder and he had a nice leather couch and damn nice stereo/system all paid for by backers. And no I’m not trying to tear down KSU. I’m fully aware of what goes on for KU basketball and I heard some stories while Mangino was in town. I don’t doubt that even as bad as KU football has been, that there’s been some shady dealings. I’ve been of the opinion, due to what I know, that there are really only those who cheat and those who cheat well. There may be a couple clean guys, but they’re rare, and even then, they can’t prevent boosters from doing stuff.
Woolridge gave those guys payments as to keep them around because they sucked.

Agree with this, but you know how many coaches have said they'd never leave and left? They're all at their dream jobs. Til they're not. 🤣

Rivals shows several top 100 recruits from the last 5 or so years. Pack isn't even one of them.

And you certainly had several in the Martin/Huggins years. Were they dirty?

Reactions: Zutt-man
Agree with this, but you know how many coaches have said they'd never leave and left? They're all at their dream jobs. Til they're not. 🤣
Yeah, the dream job part was only thrown in to make a point about KSU supposedly being it. Simply put, it’s easier to win at Illinois, and he gets paid a lot more money. KSU would probably have to pay him more than their football coach to approach his salary at Illinois, and Illinois would immediately top it. However, like I also said, I guess you never know.

Rivals shows several top 100 recruits from the last 5 or so years. Pack isn't even one of them.

And you certainly had several in the Martin/Huggins years. Were they dirty?
Would you like to pull up the top 100 recruits from rivals in the past 5 years? Unless Dean Wade sneaked in the top 100, it's only Pack

Huggins and Frank had good connections and once they got Bill Walker, that got them Michael Beasley and his whole class. They were all buddies who wanted to hoop together in college, didn't matter where, OJ Mayo was a silent commit at one point.

• Haha
Reactions: RustyTrambone
Would you like to pull up the top 100 recruits from rivals in the past 5 years? Unless Dean Wade sneaked in the top 100, it's only Pack

Huggins and Frank had good connections and once they got Bill Walker, that got them Michael Beasley and his whole class. They were all buddies who wanted to hoop together in college, didn't matter where, OJ Mayo was a silent commit at one point.
Selton Miguel and Dajuan Gordon for sure. Sneed wasn’t quite within 5 years but he’s another. Malek Harris a little further back.

Then there’s Wade and a few others that were just outside the top 100.

Yes, Huggins had connections. They all have connections. LOL if you think Beasley wasn’t paid.

ADVERTISEMENT