ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas - Duke Game Thread

Damn that game was rough to watch. Guess both teams can shrug it off to it being their first game.

We will probably struggle to score. Our defense will be ahead of our offense to start the season unlike most seasons when our freshmen got better on defense later in the year. I picked Duke to win (of course) but wouldn’t be shocked if Kansas abuses us downlow. Hopefully with less pressure on this team, they could actually play without a big(ger) target on their backs.

Pretty much summed it up.

KU truly shit the bed. Aside from the stretch that opened the second half, that was embarrassing.

Quality defense by Duke though.

Reactions: Quavarius
Messy game. Duke’s offense is a bit rough, but D was great, as was gameplan. Really impressed by the speed of Hurts shot, and how high he shoots it... makes it hard to really contest. Stanley looks like he is 12 years old. Not sure if Tre is as good as his brother, but his D was excellent and he hit a pretty big two and pretty big free throws when they mattered much, so maybe he has the Stones genes. Very early game that was a nice win, but not sure what, if anything, it really means.

Rough game on both sides. Maybe slightly more entertaining than the UConn/Butler title game. Would like to see Stanley get more touches. Kid is so athletic, not sure many guys can stay in front of him.

Reactions: tw3301
Messy game. Duke’s offense is a bit rough, but D was great, as was gameplan. Really impressed by the speed of Hurts shot, and how high he shoots it... makes it hard to really contest. Stanley looks like he is 12 years old. Not sure if Tre is as good as his brother, but his D was excellent and he hit a pretty big two and pretty big free throws when they mattered much, so maybe he has the Stones genes. Very early game that was a nice win, but not sure what, if anything, it really means.
Rough game on both sides. Maybe slightly more entertaining than the UConn/Butler title game. Would like to see Stanley get more touches. Kid is so athletic, not sure many guys can stay in front of him.
That quite literally might have been the sloppiest game in CBB history between two Top 5 teams.

Nice win though. That Agbaji turnover on the 3 to 1 break that resulted in a corner 3 was absolutely huge for Duke.

That quite literally might have been the sloppiest game in CBB history between two Top 5 teams.

Nice win though. That Agbaji turnover on the 3 to 1 break that resulted in a corner 3 was absolutely huge for Duke.
I must have missed the sloppy play from Duke. How many TO’s did they have.

The level of idiocy on some of these posts is comical and sad.

First game. 4 freshman. New team. Great win.

Not sure what some of you were expecting.

I have an issue with folks (not here) complaining about the sloppiness of the Duke/KU game and the foul fest of the UK/MSU game. Fans of college basketball begged for the top teams to play each other instead of several cupcakes and when they do, everyone complains about the type of game played when you pit two top 5 teams against each other in their first official game. I mean, all 4 schools could’ve played Directional schools for the first couple of weeks to get the kinks out but they hated that.

Aiight, rant over!

I have an issue with folks (not here) complaining about the sloppiness of the Duke/KU game and the foul fest of the UK/MSU game. Fans of college basketball begged for the top teams to play each other instead of several cupcakes and when they do, everyone complains about the type of game played when you pit two top 5 teams against each other in their first official game. I mean, all 4 schools could’ve played Directional schools for the first couple of weeks to get the kinks out but they hated that.

Aiight, rant over!
Completely agree.

I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that it was a sloppy game. Turnovers aren't the only measure of sloppiness. As mentioned, playing your first game of the season against a top 5 team is much different than against a mid-major. Even with the loss, I wouldn't be concerned about where you are as a team when you turn the ball over 28 times and still can say that you should have/could have won the game. That is something that can and presumably will be a learning experience and at the right time of the year. As the winner, I would be concerned more about the missed layups and free throws (again :mad:) the lack of movement without the ball and the lack of an elite scorer. It's early still, and both teams have things they need to fix and things that they can grow on. I say it after winning, after losing the first game, or first big game rarely ever tells you much about where you will be in March.

I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging that it was a sloppy game. Turnovers aren't the only measure of sloppiness. As mentioned, playing your first game of the season against a top 5 team is much different than against a mid-major. Even with the loss, I wouldn't be concerned about where you are as a team when you turn the ball over 28 times and still can say that you should have/could have won the game. That is something that can and presumably will be a learning experience and at the right time of the year. As the winner, I would be concerned more about the missed layups and free throws (again :mad:) the lack of movement without the ball and the lack of an elite scorer. It's early still, and both teams have things they need to fix and things that they can grow on. I say it after winning, after losing the first game, or first big game rarely ever tells you much about where you will be in March.

Yeah. It’s a game they probably should have won, but Duke deserves credit for making the big plays down the stretch and playing solid defense.

I’m sure they’ll clean up the turnover issue. The important takeaway is that the pieces are there, and they’ll be adding their top outside shooter to the mix soon. They’re behind schedule, but I think there’s plenty of reason for optimism. Just need to gel and define roles.

I would think last year would have taught you not to judge a season based on the outcome of the first game.

Wait...no, I wouldn’t.

I didn't say one thing about the game. I know Kansas is better than that. They won't commit 28 TOs again. Just a light hearted jab at Self.

Aiight, rant over!
Excellent post Q. I agree.

Kansas lost a game I thought they should have won. I think this is a monster win for Duke and will benefit their team confidence moving forward. Any time you can pull out a marquee win when the odds weren't in your favor is a huge bonus. Great win by Duke....we have to go back and re-group.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Kansas lost a game I thought they should have won. I think this is a monster win for Duke and will benefit their team confidence moving forward. Any time you can pull out a marquee win when the odds weren't in your favor is a huge bonus. Great win by Duke....we have to go back and re-group.
Azabuke (sp?) was a disappointment.

I have it on good authority K had planned to retire last year after winning his sixth and sending Zion to the NBA. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. So he is begrudgingly back and chasing that elusive title. Honestly, Duke will be lucky to get out of the 1st round this year. Word on the Durham streets is the team is rife with internal conflicts.

sorry @LetsGoDuke301
Damn....you live in Durham?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Where is the Colorado State vs Duke game thread? I'm ready for Duke's first real challenge of the season.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT