ADVERTISEMENT

K retiring

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
ESPN has a good article out about K… author followed him for this year, but more importantly (for the article) spent time with some of his oldest friends.

Wonderfully complex look at K… everything from his pettiness and ego to his kindness and desire to please.

With his last game coming up, thought sports folks might enjoy a good sports read.

ESPN has a good article out about K… author followed him for this year, but more importantly (for the article) spent time with some of his oldest friends.

Wonderfully complex look at K… everything from his pettiness and ego to his kindness and desire to please.

With his last game coming up, thought sports folks might enjoy a good sports read.
Excellent article.

This is home board material.
Here’s my favorite quote from Coach K.

Today, I spoke with Oregon head coach Dana Altman and apologized to him for my remarks to Dillon Brooks following our game. It is not my place to talk to another team's player and doing so took the focus away from the terrific game that Dillon played.

He was caught blatantly lying and the
CBS released the footage. Not sure why he gets a pass from the media on this.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Here’s my favorite quote from Coach K.

Today, I spoke with Oregon head coach Dana Altman and apologized to him for my remarks to Dillon Brooks following our game. It is not my place to talk to another team's player and doing so took the focus away from the terrific game that Dillon played.

He was caught blatantly lying and the
CBS released the footage. Not sure why he gets a pass from the media on this.
Obsess much?

The retirement of the greatest coach in the game isn't "home board" material unless you REALLY don't care about sports or college basketball at ALL.

The idea that someone wouldn't read a good piece of sports writing about someone who isn't connected to their program is very strange. Some of the best sports writing I've seen... indeed, MOST of it... ISN'T about my home team.

Good sports writing is good sports writing.

The retirement of the greatest coach in the game isn't "home board" material unless you REALLY don't care about sports or college basketball at ALL.

The idea that someone wouldn't read a good piece of sports writing about someone who isn't connected to their program is very strange. Some of the best sports writing I've seen... indeed, MOST of it... ISN'T about my home team.

Good sports writing is good sports writing.
He isn’t the greatest coach of all time though

• Love
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Opinions are all subjective. But more are on the side of K being the G.O.A.T. than are against it. But there are slapdicks like you who disagree. And that's fine.

K is obv a legend but I’d put Wooden in front of him.

Be honest, am I the only person here who wakes up every day hoping this is the day Coach K walks into traffic and gets hit by a bus?

• Haha
Reactions: dukedevilz

I think I'd disagree, as would a lot of people. I mean, when you look at the imbalance of the old days, and the way the tournament was conducted, and the payoffs that brought so many recruits to UCLA... all of that combined, along with how K managed to win four titles in, I think, four different decades and as basketball radically changed around him...

But hey, the discussion is what is fun, right?

And good sports writing is good sports writing.

Last edited:
Be honest, am I the only person here who wakes up every day hoping this is the day Coach K walks into traffic and gets hit by a bus?

Is every fan of meaningless programs this bitter? Or is it just you? I don't know any other Depaul fans, so I don't have any perspective... assuming you are a Depaul fan.

I am not a fan that the media and college basketball caters to him. I am not a fan that he gets a pass for shady recruiting tactics while others do not. A little iffy on the Bus thing though

Um no. Had to wii 2 games to get to a FF, had Sam Gilbert to pay the recruits, etc.

K won in different decades and different era's.

Um no. Had to wii 2 games to get to a FF, had Sam Gilbert to pay the recruits, etc.

K won in different decades and different era's.
LOL at you thinking ucla paid guys but duke doesn’t

Reactions: wesr
I am not a fan that the media and college basketball caters to him. I am not a fan that he gets a pass for shady recruiting tactics while others do not. A little iffy on the Bus thing though
Still waiting on all those shady recruiting tactics you keep bringing up. Everyone has an opinion, so when you actually prove, not assume, that K and Duke cheated, please prove it.

BTW, you think Scheyer is cheating now as well.

LOL at you thinking ucla paid guys but duke doesn’t
Like I said previously, prove it. The Sam Gilbert stuff has been well documented. Do you know of a Duke booster or alum or even K paying the players at Duke. I sure dont.

Still waiting on all those shady recruiting tactics you keep bringing up. Everyone has an opinion, so when you actually prove, not assume, that K and Duke cheated, please prove it.

BTW, you think Scheyer is cheating now as well.
You got proof on Sam Gilbert? You like to throw out accusations about others while blindly defending coach K. You are the dumbest individual to ever post on this board

Like I said previously, prove it. The Sam Gilbert stuff has been well documented. Do you know of a Duke booster or alum or even K paying the players at Duke. I sure dont.
It’s no more well documented than Zion Williamson getting paid. Your dimbass thinks Zion turned down 400k from Kansas to go to duke. Seriously it’s you that needs run over by a bus

They are all cheaters but Wooden even takes the cake with that lol. K has won the title in 3 different decades I believe. To me that's one of the most impressive stats for a head coach.

Reactions: UL_1986 and tw3301
They are all cheaters but Wooden even takes the cake with that lol. K has won the title in 3 different decades I believe. To me that's one of the most impressive stats for a head coach.
I mean Jim Calhoun won titles in three different decades as well. What wooden did in one decade is what sets him a part

That was an enjoyable read. It made me feel admiration about things I didn’t know, and fresh disappointment through other things. I’d be interested in a book 2 seasons from now that explains what he misses (and doesn’t) about not being the coach.

Its also a great testament to how insignificant Bob Knights accomplishments and passion have become under the shadow of his pouty, delusional pettiness.

That was an enjoyable read. It made me feel admiration about things I didn’t know, and fresh disappointment through other things. I’d be interested in a book 2 seasons from now that explains what he misses (and doesn’t) about not being the coach.

Its also a great testament to how insignificant Bob Knights accomplishments and passion have become under the shadow of his pouty, delusional pettiness.
Coach K back stabbed coach knight. Forgot who helped him get where he is.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Is every fan of meaningless programs this bitter? Or is it just you? I don't know any other Depaul fans, so I don't have any perspective... assuming you are a Depaul fan.

He used to be a Duke fan. I think WeAreDePaul said he gave up on Duke and K after the 99 title game. He thought it was terrible coaching.

To be fair, did Elton Brand even get a shot in the final 7-8 minutes of the game? Not sure I want to re-watch that. But, I honestly can't remember Brand getting touches in the final minutes. In my opinion, that '99 team was one of the 10 greatest teams in NCAA history. Such a shame it ended that way.

Reactions: tw3301
It’s no more well documented than Zion Williamson getting paid. Your dimbass thinks Zion turned down 400k from Kansas to go to duke. Seriously it’s you that needs run over by a bus
So now it is 400k. Damn, it will be a million pretty soon. And yes, I believe that Zion did not get paid at Duke.

You know the old, innocent until proven guilty thingy, right?

He used to be a Duke fan. I think WeAreDePaul said he gave up on Duke and K after the 99 title game. He thought it was terrible coaching.

To be fair, did Elton Brand even get a shot in the final 7-8 minutes of the game? Not sure I want to re-watch that. But, I honestly can't remember Brand getting touches in the final minutes. In my opinion, that '99 team was one of the 10 greatest teams in NCAA history. Such a shame it ended that way.
I was upset for a year after that one. I also believe Calhoun out coached K that game.

IMO, best team to not win a NC.

Reactions: dukedevilz

It is always amazing to me when you see that sort of thing happen, when the best (or one of the best) players on a team doesn't touch the ball in the most important moments, and for longer stretches of time at that. It's like Zion in that last NCAA game. I always wonder why that happens... do the coaches/teams get so intense and involved and focused on the smaller things and so miss larger points like "Dude, your best player isn't getting shots." Or do we, as outsiders, simplify things, when there is a lot more going on, like ball denial and the rest that we might not be seeing.

And I wouldn't watch that game again if you paid me twenty bucks. Goddamn that was frustrating. I feel like UConn has actually caused several of my greatest basketball frustrations.

ADVERTISEMENT