ADVERTISEMENT

Juzang to UK

Which cats? He was supposedly looking at nova too. Just saying...

K was known for going after kids who could possibly re-classify (A.Dawkins, Murphy, D.Thornton, Bagley, Barrett), often when his roster was depleted. Cal could potentially have recruits that re-classified two consecutive years with Hagans and Juzang.
I'm glad "K made it OK". I've been watching too much Veep.

Reactions: dukedevilz
K got some flak for it when he first started the movement. But it honestly makes sense. Kids want the quickest route to the NBA, so if you can go a year earlier, why wait? High school basketball ain't making anyone a better player.
Another thing K did first was to schedule neutral sites instead of home and homes OOC. We've benefited from copying that.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I don't think K started recruiting OAD's. He was always recruiting the best players. What he adjusted to is not holding them back after one year.

I'm glad Roy is starting to do the same. Miller and Self have been on board for years.

Reactions: kl40504
K got some flak for it when he first started the movement. But it honestly makes sense. Kids want the quickest route to the NBA, so if you can go a year earlier, why wait? High school basketball ain't making anyone a better player.
Why Wait?

Kids skip grades all the time. If they can start early then why not? An extra year of exposure.

Last edited:

We’ve had at least 1 almost every season since 2013. Noel, Dakari Johnson, Towns, Murray and Humphries, Diallo, none in 2018, Hagans, and now possibly Juzang.

All of them but Humphries were just moving back to their natural graduating class. Humphries was a 17 year old freshman.

I was a 17-year-old freshman (not in HS) but unfortunately wasn’t awesome at basketball. I was a badass smoking on campus illegally though.

Yeah juzang wont play major minutes as a freshman. But we needed bodies to have competitive 5 on 5’s in practice. I think he’s too slow to not get destroyed on defense as a freshman. I could see him playing the role Kyle wiltjer had as a freshman. Come in, hit a three and give the starter a breather and then go back out before the other team can adjust.

I also suspect we actually might be the front runner for Blackshear if he doesn’t go pro.

Reactions: coryfly
Yeah juzang wont play major minutes as a freshman. But we needed bodies to have competitive 5 on 5’s in practice. I think he’s too slow to not get destroyed on defense as a freshman. I could see him playing the role Kyle wiltjer had as a freshman. Come in, hit a three and give the starter a breather and then go back out before the other team can adjust.

I also suspect we actually might be the front runner for Blackshear if he doesn’t go pro.

The thing is, he’s still prolly gone after a year because I’ve seen where he wants to be OAD ASAP

Reactions: Montana81
The thing is, he’s still prolly gone after a year because I’ve seen where he wants to be OAD ASAP

Disappointing but unsurprising. That’s pretty much where we’re at as a program right now. We’ve somehow become the place where kids that aren’t good enough to be one and done come to be one and done. Oh well.

Disappointing but unsurprising. That’s pretty much where we’re at as a program right now. We’ve somehow become the place where kids that aren’t good enough to be one and done come to be one and done. Oh well.
Or we could become none and done. They go somewhere else and everyone complains that Cal can’t recruit.

I feel like he was pitched to be a OAD though. Anyone who reclassifies was pitched the OAD possibility imo.

Kid shot 35% from outside this past HS season. He’s not that great of a shooter.

He shot over 40% in AAU but no one guards anyone in AAU, it’s just open shots for days in summer ball

From KSR:

In terms of basic information and measurables, Juzang is a 6-foot-7, 210-pound shooting guard/small forward out of Studio City, CA. Holding offers from Kentucky, Kansas, Virginia, UCLA, and USC, among others, Juzang is considered a consensus top-25 prospect in the class of 2020. ESPN lists him as the No. 19 overall prospect in the class, while Rivals has him at No. 22 and 247 Sports lists him at No. 24 overall.

On the offensive end, Juzang is one of the most gifted shooters in all of high school basketball. He’s got fluid mechanics, muscle memory down to a science, midrange, can hit shots from all three levels, catch-and-shoot, off the dribble, etc. With a nickname of “J-Silk,” it’s no surprise that he’s an incredibly smooth player. Last season for Harvard Westlake, Juzang averaged 22.8 points, 9.5 rebounds, and 2.8 assists per game, including a 35% clip from three. Solid, but not the best. Looking back to his time with the Compton Magic on the Adidas Gauntlet last season, however, the Kentucky target shot an impressive 43.4% from three, which is the number most believe closely shows his true shooting abilities.

Some recruiting analysts are comparing his game to that of a 6-foot-7 version of Doron Lamb, which would certainly provide a massive boost to Kentucky’s 3-point shooting next season.

Juzang is a nice prospect that should add some depth for UK but anyone expecting a big impact right away will be disappointed. Solid defender and shooter tho

Reactions: Montana81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT