Just found a god damn SNAKE in my basement

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
W
T

I was going about my business about to call it a night when I noticed a small hose in the corner of the room behind my garbage can as I was heading upstairs.

wait.... what? Why is there a hose there? Let's take a closer loo.............WHAT???!

(not the actual snake but this is what it looked like and I've identified it as a harmless but terrifying Butler Garter Snake).

WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU IN MY HOUSE? How did you even get in??? Please don't notice me. Please don't move. WHY ARE YOU IN MY HOUSE?

We are renting so I called my landlord and he removed it which is sweet. I've been renting this duplex for 16 months now and have never seen a dang snake. My landlord said this is a first for him (and he's owned the property for years). We have occasional bugs in the basement but that's expected. A snake though??? Should I be expecting to have another one of these run-ins in there near future or is this more likely just a random occurrence?

TL;DR
Found snake in my finished basement and want to avoid ever seeing a snake again

edit: I might have considered trying to remove it myself (lol probably not), but I rent a duplex and my landlord lives in the adjacent unit. He's always saying to not hesitate to call him if I had any problems with the house so I took him up on that offer this time.

Last edited:

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
posting this in a few places because hopefully someone somewhere is a snake whisperer or something

im ****ed

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
You seriously had to call the landlord to remove a garter snake? They're ****ing harmless.
Do. Not. Care.

For the record, I rent a duplex and my landlord leaves in the other unit and is always telling me to call him if I ever need anything. I picked up that phone pretty quick.

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
Can we focus on the fact that this vile serpant found it's way into what's suppose to be my relaxing mancave???

How the hell do I relax down there knowing there are snakes all over the place?

This is a game changer.

jadeezra

Dec 30, 2006
I dont care about snakes, rodents roaches thats a gamechanger. I doubt you'll see anymore man. Just a rouge snake who found a comfy space.

KyFaninNC

Mar 14, 2005
Was the Direct TV installer in your basement? He has been known to take a dump under people’s homes.

Da_Bull

Jun 29, 2011
Team
Indiana
OP couldn't be a real man and take the longest stick he can find to push it into a large trash can and dump it outside far away from the house by himself.

MileHighSpartan

Jan 6, 2014
I probably caught about 10 of those this summer in my backyard. My wife hates snakes, so I'd just toss them into a paper lawn bag and walk them down to the local park (2 blocks) and toss them into the creek. My dog has shredded a few as well

Wildcat-in-STL

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2012
What I gathered from all of that is he's poor and has to rent a duplex lol. I keed I keed.

The logical answer, the OP already knows.... if one can get it... so can another.

just be thankful its a garter snake. back at my old home in western Ky... I've found a huge azz copper head next to the house on two separate occassions (killed them both times)........imagine one of those making it in. *cringes*

Reactions: dgreen3526

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
I dont care about snakes, rodents roaches thats a gamechanger. I doubt you'll see anymore man. Just a rouge snake who found a comfy space.
I’ve seen two cabs crickets in my basement. Those things are straight from the depths of hell itself.

But I was about 12 months straight of not seeing one (put a lot of hours on the dehumidifier) or really anything nasty. The occasional insect but whatever.

Was never expecting a snake lmao

IrishInOntario

Feb 21, 2009
You're all good my man. Garter snakes, as you pointed out, are completely harmless. They'll keep the bug and rodent population down for you. He was just staying warm hahahaha. If you grab right behind the neck and bring him outside, you're all good.

I was in Burma last year on one of my trips to Southeast Asia. Saw two Burmese pythons in the wild. One had to be about 14 feet long. They grow upwards of 20 feet in length and live in the caves. Not poisonous, but it would reticulate you in a matter of minutes. Impressive creature... Thankfully the jaguars do their job in the food chain and kill even even the biggest snakes as if they are toys. Those cats are the perfect predator.

Moral of the story... Sack up and move the snake... Or order a jaguar kitten, raise it as your own, and don't worry about anything living, surviving on your property.

What you need!

Last edited:

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
What I gathered from all of that is he's poor and has to rent a duplex lol. I keed I keed.

The logical answer, the OP already knows.... if one can get it... so can another.

just be thankful its a garter snake. back at my old home in western Ky... I've found a huge azz copper head next to the house on two separate occassions (killed them both times)........imagine one of those making it in. *cringes*
Buy me a house

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
You're all good my man. Garter snakes, as you pointed out, are completely harmless. They'll keep the bug and rodent population down for you. He was just staying warm hahahaha. If you grab right behind the neck and bring him outside, you're all good.

I was in Burma last year on one of my trips to Southeast Asia. Saw two Burmese pythons in the wild. One had to be about 14 feet long. They grow upwards of 20 feet in length and live in the caves. Not poisonous, but it would reticulate you in a matter of minutes. Impressive creature... Thankfully the jaguars do their job in the food chain and kill even even the biggest snakes as if they are toys. Those cats are the perfect predator.

Moral of the story... Sack up and move the snake... Or order a jaguar kitten, raise it as your own, and don't worry about anything living, surviving on your property.
Does Blake Bortles count? He might be looking for work in a year

teenukfan15

Mar 12, 2005
Bowling Green
I had one in the kitchen a year or so ago. I just stomped on it's head until it was dead. My wife was none pleased though and made me go through the whole house while she stayed in the car.

mebeblue2

Dec 20, 2009
Hail i would really appreciate it if you would not use the lords name in vane to try and get a point across
with that said, i had a lady on a parking lot asked me to look at a snake that was in the coils of her spring on top of her strut
i got a stick got the snake out and killed it
it was a 18 inch copperhead, after i killed it i showed her the fangs

i also have a rattlesnake skin that i killed, it was almost 5 foot long and i stretched the skin around a 2x12 to cure it, it folded around the 2x12, it had 15 rattles

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
How I picture anyway shouting "You dun be 'fraid of grabbing snakes! It' just a gosh dern snake! What 'er ya a woman??"

Kevin Bryan

Apr 30, 2011
Well... that is probably why the snake was in there in the first place. They also hibernate in huge groups, sooooo.................

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL

DiehardDukeFan4Life

Jan 21, 2011
A Gartwr Snake is nothing, we’ve had 4-5 ft long Black Snakes (also harmless) get into our house on several occasions.

WojoRising

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2015
There’s always that guy, just like with the house centipede discussion, that always says “they do good”.

No. Just no. I would rather deal with small insects or a mouse than a snake. I’d rather have my body covered in mosquito bites and malaria running through my veins than a bat in my attack and so on and so forth.

Kevin Bryan

Apr 30, 2011
There’s always that guy, just like with the house centipede discussion, that always says “they do good”.

No. Just no. I would rather deal with small insects or a mouse than a snake. I’d rather have my body covered in mosquito bites and malaria running through my veins than a bat in my attack and so on and so forth.
Those house centipedes are so nasty... I don't care that they eat every other insect in the house. Nothing should have that many legs.

Reactions: WojoRising

Wildcat-in-STL

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2012
Have you seen Indiana jones with that snake scene? yeah thats how snakes travel... you might want to look under your chairs and couches because there are at minimum 50 snakes in your house right now