ADVERTISEMENT

Just a quick player comparison

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Just using simple, simple stats... just for fun.

Player A:
19 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block per (set number of minutes) on 42% shooting

Player B:
29 points, 3 assists, 9 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block per (set number of minutes) on 59% shooting

Player C:
21 points, 3 assists, 5 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block per (set number of minutes) on 43% shooting

Player D:
18 points, 3 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block per (set number of minutes) on 42% shooting.

Player E:
17 points, 1 assist, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks per (set number of minutes) on 52% shooting.

What’s the competition like? One playing in the WCC or SEC of 5 years ago?

Just using simple, simple stats... just for fun.

Player A:
19 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block per (set number of minutes) on 42% shooting

Player B:
29 points, 3 assists, 9 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block per (set number of minutes) on 59% shooting

Player C:
21 points, 3 assists, 5 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block per (set number of minutes) on 43% shooting

Player D:
18 points, 3 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block per (set number of minutes) on 42% shooting.

Player E:
17 points, 1 assist, 10 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks per (set number of minutes) on 52% shooting.
Player B. Is it Carey?

Need more context on shooting percentages. Maybe TS% instead?

3 point shooters would naturally have lower FG%.

Reactions: GE Nole
Okay.

So, first off, sorry, it's not college basketball.

It is their first year (or as much as they've played so far) in the NBA.

In order, players are...

Lebron James
Zion Williamson
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Anthony Davis

Good company, even if it is a small sample for Zion.

Anyway... we talked about him a ton last year, and he's finally been playing a little this year, so thought I'd share. It is useful, because people I think tend to forget what guys are like in their first year, and that our superstars of today often weren't THAT in their first year.

Last edited:
Okay.

So sorry, it's not college basketball.

In order, players are...

Lebron James
Zion Williamson
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Anthony Davis

Anyway... we talked about him a ton last year, and he's finally been playing a little this year, so thought I'd share. It is useful, because people I think tend to forget what guys are like in their first year, and that our superstars of today often weren't THAT in their first year.
Z is going to be an All-Star as early as next year. People throw out the word "generational" a lot but he truly is a generational talent. If the Pelicans can make the playoffs, he should get Rookie of the Year over Ja Morant despite playing far fewer games. He's just that good.

Z is going to be an All-Star as early as next year. People throw out the word "generational" a lot but he truly is a generational talent. If the Pelicans can make the playoffs, he should get Rookie of the Year over Ja Morant despite playing far fewer games. He's just that good.
I think he will be a highlight reel, just concerned how long he can keep it up for. I think it will be critical for him to develop a low post game that isn't necessarily him elevating and falling to the floor a dozen times a game at his size. Sometimes it just looks awkward when he falls and I don't want him to be reduced too early in his career from injury

Reactions: GE Nole
Too bad we couldn't have had Zion in the 80's or 90's where we could have seen him for 2 or 3 years. I feel a little uncomfortable comparing him to LeBron, but he's going to be a special player.

I really don't understand how Duke didn't win the ship last year

I think this is the part of basketball that fans REALLY don't understand or appreciate... how RANDOM it all is, in a one and out format. Sure, the cream often rises to the top, but a few bad bounces in a single game can make the difference between a title or a sweet 16 loss. If there are a hundred shots taken in a game, just a difference in outcome of two can decide a game, and a half an inch can be that difference. That's pretty amazing, really.

That, and how much basketball is a TEAM game. You can have a bunch of stars, but if the role players have a bad game, you are often doomed.

They probably do if they made the Final Four. They were 3-0 against Texas Tech and UVA. Thanks Michigan State.

Possibly, but previous outcomes don't necessarily dictate what's to come (obviously something you know.)

Reactions: jhmossy
Okay.

So, first off, sorry, it's not college basketball.

In order, players are...

Lebron James
Zion Williamson
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Anthony Davis

Ohhhh, you pulled some NBA trickery!!! I hate you...

With this newfound information I would have expected player B to single-handedly take his squad to a Final Four, even without 2 other top 10 picks. :D

Reactions: TheDude1
I think this is the part of basketball that fans REALLY don't understand or appreciate... how RANDOM it all is, in a one and out format. Sure, the cream often rises to the top, but a few bad bounces in a single game can make the difference between a title or a sweet 16 loss. If there are a hundred shots taken in a game, just a difference in outcome of two can decide a game, and a half an inch can be that difference. That's pretty amazing, really.

That, and how much basketball is a TEAM game. You can have a bunch of stars, but if the role players have a bad game, you are often doomed.
This. Its a one game scenario....If you are off, have foul trouble, etc, etc....you can lose. Especially in the EIite 8. Its hard.

Yes, it's tough. However, if you start a thread comparing your guy to the elite of the elite I think a little jab here and there about a team not even making the Final Four with that lineup is fair. It isn't like they are the 2019-20 Tar Heels or something.

I don't understand the stats though. I mean, Zion is great but I'm pretty sure he isn't averaging that many points.

Yes, it's tough. However, if you start a thread comparing your guy to the elite of the elite I think a little jab here and there about a team not even making the Final Four with that lineup is fair. It isn't like they are the 2019-20 Tar Heels or something.

I don't understand the stats though. Zion isn't averaging that many points I don't believe.
Not to mention it wasn't just the Elite 8, they won the previous 2 games by a combined 3 points. They were a quarter inch from losing to UCF on a tip-in and held off VT on a buzzer beater attempt too.

Not to mention it wasn't just the Elite 8, they won the previous 2 games by a combined 3 points. They were a quarter inch from losing to UCF on a tip-in and held off VT on a buzzer beater attempt too.

Yeah, they were pretty underwhelming in the NCAAT considering the talent and hype. So yeah, the shots are pretty fair.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I don't understand the stats though. I mean, Zion is great but I'm pretty sure he isn't averaging that many points.

He used the Points Per 36 minutes. Zion is averaging 23 pts per game, but he is only averaging 28 min per game. So all of Zions per 36 stats are higher than actual stats.

For comparison, LeBrons numbers per 36 the first year are roughly the same or LOWER.

edit- To clarify, I'm not trying to knock Zion. Love watching him play and hes a great player, just explaining the difference.

Reactions: TheDude1
He used the Points Per 36 minutes. Zion is averaging 23 pts per game, but he is only averaging 28 min per game. So all of Zions per 36 stats are higher than actual stats.

For comparison, LeBrons numbers per 36 the first year are roughly the same or LOWER.

edit- To clarify, I'm not trying to knock Zion. Love watching him play and hes a great player, just explaining the difference.

I see. I understand all the PER stats but I thought if he used that he would have said as much. I assume he used that for all five players. I like the PER stats but also think durability and being on the court is relevant. He is a great talent for sure though. Really fun to watch.

Reactions: I am stupid
It is per 36 minutes. I didn’t specify in the original post outside of saying “per a set number of minutes” because college is per 40 and nba is per 36 and I didn’t want to give it away.

and I don’t care about shots:). Nobody wants to not win a title.

Reactions: I am stupid
Why would they have it PER 36 and not 48? Is 36 the most one of those players averaging so you brought everyone up to that player? Is that considered what minutes a starter would normally play?

Kobe averaged 36 mp for his career, LeBron is at 38 mp, Durant about 37.

Just for fun. I will throw this guys name into the hat. You taking him or the ones previously mentioned. Should be easy to figure out.

27 points, 6 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block on 52% shooting

Why would they have it PER 36 and not 48? Is 36 the most one of those players averaging so you brought everyone up to that player? Is that considered what minutes a starter would normally play?

Dunno, it’s just what it is.

Why do you WRITE like this? It doesn’t have the EFFECT you think it does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT