ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Pastner

0-2 and losses to Ga State and Mercer. Yikes.

Maybe they should self impose another postseason ban so they have one in the bank for the next time he gets caught cheating.

Another in the line of successful young coaches that learned under the tutelage of HOF coach Calipari.

Jk it was too easy.

it’s one thing to go from assistant to a low level mid major and not be able win. But to step in at Memphis, fresh off a runner up run and just pretty much have them fall off the map is another. The real and only question is wtf did GT hire him. GT has a couple nice guards so this start is especially suprising to me.

Another in the line of successful young coaches that learned under the tutelage of HOF coach Lute Olson.

Jk it was too easy.

it’s one thing to go from assistant to a low level mid major and not be able win. But to step in at Memphis, fresh off a runner up run and just pretty much have them fall off the map is another. The real and only question is wtf did GT hire him. GT has a couple nice guards so this start is especially suprising to me.
FIFY.

He learned his coaching from Calipari, he just doesn’t recruit like him. 😉

Georgia Tech’s biggest mistake was thinking that they could do better than Paul Hewitt. Don’t get me wrong, Hewitt’s no great coach, but he could get exciting talent, win around 20 games, and occasionally put a scare in the top dogs of the ACC.

Not sure how much better than that GT will ever be.

Georgia Tech’s biggest mistake was thinking that they could do better than Paul Hewitt. Don’t get me wrong, Hewitt’s no great coach, but he could get exciting talent, win around 20 games, and occasionally put a scare in the top dogs of the ACC.

Not sure how much better than that GT will ever be.

That’s non-sense. Look at Bobby Cremins.

The ATL area is a massive hotbed for talent. A coach who can build relationships and put a solid product on the court would turn GT into a power. Can you imagine Leonard Hamilton coaching at GT?

As it is I’m glad the Jackets keep making poor decisions. FSU has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of the ATL talent pipeline.

Reactions: dukedevilz

The ATL area is a massive hotbed for talent. A coach who can build relationships and put a solid product on the court would turn GT into a power. Can you imagine Leonard Hamilton coaching at GT?

As it is I’m glad the Jackets keep making poor decisions. FSU has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of the ATL talent pipeline.
Anyone is going to have trouble building a power in the ACC with as deep as it is, regardless of location IMO. Too many teams that recruit nationally in the league.

There’s a lot of coaches that would be successful at Georgia Tech. How many would take that job over the other offers they may have? And yeah, Cremins was successful 25 years ago - but the world has continued to shrink since then, regional recruiting isn’t nearly as big a deal as it was.

GT did finish 5th in the ACC last year. And with Alvarado and Devoe back, you'd think they were capable of a run at the NCAAs. Depth is shoddy as usual, but really no excuse for dropping those first two games.

Seems like most of the top recruits for Cremins came from the New York area. But to your point, a really good coach should be successful at GT. So much talent there. Per capita, I believe Georgia has the second most D1 college basketball players, only trailing Maryland.

Reactions: GE Nole
Anyone is going to have trouble building a power in the ACC with as deep as it is, regardless of location IMO. Too many teams that recruit nationally in the league.

Ehh. I mean yes, the league is deep and programs like UNC, Duke, and UL are always gonna spend a ton of money on hoops. But Tony Bennett and Leonard Hamilton have both shown you can come into a program outside the top 2-3 and turn them into a contender.

Paul Hewitt did exactly that.

He tried to reenergize the program. Wasn't Favors a Top 5/10 recruit.

But just didn't work. Never really took off to the level they wanted.

Biggest issue with coaches is if you go to the boosters with your hand out your expectations rise...

So to get these recruits from the Atlanta area you better win right away or you are out the door

In my opinion it is better to build a stable program and then go to the boosters
Instead of going to the boosters to attempt to get a stable program.

Ehh. I mean yes, the league is deep and programs like UNC, Duke, and UL are always gonna spend a ton of money on hoops. But Tony Bennett and Leonard Hamilton have both shown you can come into a program outside the top 2-3 and turn them into a contender.

A lot of coaches have in the ACC.

Skip Prosser/Dave Odom
Gary Williams
Bobby Cremins had GA Tech with Dennis Scott, Brian Oliver and Kenny Anderson as the best team in the ACC

Paul Hewitt did exactly that.

He tried to reenergize the program. Wasn't Favors a Top 5/10 recruit.

But just didn't work. Never really took off to the level they wanted.

Biggest issue with coaches is if you go to the boosters with your hand out your expectations rise...

So to get these recruits from the Atlanta area you better win right away or you are out the door

In my opinion it is better to build a stable program and then go to the boosters
Instead of going to the boosters to attempt to get a stable program.

Derrick Favors, Javaris Crittenton, Gani Lawal, Al Faruq Amino, Jarrett Jack, and more. Hewitt was reeling in recruits.

They went to a Final Four one year, although I think they were like 9-7 in the ACC that season.

Hewitt’s biggest problem is the same as Lorenzo Romar, Johnny Jones, Will Wade, Andy Enfield, and others—he simply isn’t a good coach. Great relationship guy. Great talent identifier. But just not at the level needed to lead a program to the top tier in the ACC.

I see Paul a good bit at games now. Nice guy. Has a good perspective to listen to. He’s an NBA scout. Clippers I think. Or he was a year or two ago. We talked a good bit the year the Clippers took Terance Mann and Mfiondu Kabengele in the draft.

A lot of coaches have in the ACC.

Skip Prosser/Dave Odom
Gary Williams
Bobby Cremins had GA Tech with Dennis Scott, Brian Oliver and Kenny Anderson as the best team in the ACC

To be fair, the league is a lot deeper now than when Cremins and Gary did that. UNC, Duke, UL, UVA, ND, FSU.

Derrick Favors, Javaris Crittenton, Gani Lawal, Al Faruq Amino, Jarrett Jack, and more. Hewitt was reeling in recruits.

They went to a Final Four one year, although I think they were like 9-7 in the ACC that season.

Hewitt’s biggest problem is the same as Lorenzo Romar, Johnny Jones, Will Wade, Andy Enfield, and others—he simply isn’t a good coach. Great relationship guy. Great talent identifier. But just not at the level needed to lead a program to the top tier in the ACC.

I see Paul a good bit at games now. Nice guy. Has a good perspective to listen to. He’s an NBA scout. Clippers I think. Or he was a year or two ago. We talked a good bit the year the Clippers took Terance Mann and Mfiondu Kabengele in the draft.

They played in the Final 4 when the oldest Okafor won his NC at UCONN

I don't believe they were that high of a seed

To be fair, the league is a lot deeper now than when Cremins and Gary did that. UNC, Duke, UL, UVA, ND, FSU.
That is debatable. Older ACC guys probably could explain it better.

But even Clemson and GT had great teams then.
Clemson up until Rick Barnes left was producing NBA talent

This is the ACC standings when GA Tech went to the Final 4 under Cremins
Clemson was the regular season champs

That is debatable. Older ACC guys probably could explain it better.

But even Clemson and GT had great teams then.
Clemson up until Rick Barnes left was producing NBA talent

This is the ACC standings when GA Tech went to the Final 4 under Cremins
Clemson was the regular season champs

Man, you must think I’m like 22. Three or four times you’ve said things to me about “older fans” or what not.

I follow ACC hoops as close as anyone on here, maybe except for DukeDevilz.

Man, you must think I’m like 22. Three or four times you’ve said things to me about “older fans” or what not.

I follow ACC hoops as close as anyone on here, maybe except for DukeDevilz.

I said older ACC fans....
Meaning ones that were fans of the ACC schools in the 1980's.
Prior to Florida State

Your response about depth...
The depth was there because they had 6-7 legit teams in an 8 team conference

Actually much stronger than it is today because of that

So Cremins had to compete in that.
Gary had to come in when it was only 9 teams. Majority of those teams were legit
Same with Skip Prosser

The point is the current ACC can chew up a decent team making it hard to sustain success because there are just so many legit programs.

The ACC was probably much tougher as a 8 team conference

Now you have a lot of doormat programs...
Some like VA Tech have risen out of it.

Buzz Williams proved that you can't wrong

As a 8 team conference you had to play UNC and Duke 2 times each every year

Teams like WF G Tech Clemson NC St and UVA had seasons of being bad during the 8 team era. Maryland too. The league was never easy that is fair. But there weren't 7 legit teams every year.

Teams like WF G Tech Clemson NC St and UVA had seasons of being bad during the 8 team era. Maryland too. The league was never easy that is fair. But there weren't 7 legit teams every year.

This site measures conference strength by SRS and SOS

For the most part the ACC was much tougher as a 8-9 team conference

Mainly because of the fact that most of those schools had to play at N Carolina and Duke at home and on the road every year

Even Duke had 2 losing seasons in the 80s. It's always been a great league. For sure. I get what you are saying. The league has averaged 8 tourney bids the last 4 years. A team can hit a 6-9 game stretch that can literally end a season or crush a team's seed.

I said older ACC fans....
Meaning ones that were fans of the ACC schools in the 1980's.
Prior to Florida State

Your response about depth...
The depth was there because they had 6-7 legit teams in an 8 team conference

Actually much stronger than it is today because of that

So Cremins had to compete in that.
Gary had to come in when it was only 9 teams. Majority of those teams were legit
Same with Skip Prosser

I followed the ACC before FSU got there.

You’re overstating the depth some of those years when it was just 8 teams. There were years with 2-3 of the teams below .500 overall on the season.

Maryland had Len Bias some of those years in the late 1980's

Virginia had Ralph Sampson. Then Olden Polynice.

The conference had depth and they all played each other.
Plus there was NBA talent all over the conference

There were some years you may have had a couple of average teams but for the most part the conference was at the top.

Not even worth the argument because of what Buzz Williams did at VA Tech

Cannot make an excuse that the ACC is too tough for a program to reach the top today .
If you want to believe the ACC is as rough as it ever has been because Florida State won the conference

That is on you.

But Bobby Cremins created GA Tech in a tough conference.
Even NC Stats had 7 future NBA players in 1986-1987.
GA Tech had 5 that year because of Cremins.

Then Gary Williams did it a little bit later at Maryland
Wasn't because the ACC lacked depth...

I vote for Capel.
Yeah, that guy went from zero to hero way too quick.

I guess that's what Duke meant by "set for life". How do hire a cheater fresh off infractions, beat UK at recruiting, and then bail when rumors start?

More power to who can pull it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Random UK Fan
There are other challenges in today's game that didn't exist when it was an 8 team format. The transfer rule is now pretty much free agency. The OAD means guys like Ralph Sampson and Len Bias are out the door after one year, if they weren't found to be ineligible prior to that and forced to leave mid-season or before it even started. Incredibly, both those guys played 4 years of college basketball each.

Being a coach now is nothing like what it was "back in the day" nowhere near the stability in rosters. A team can randomly "break through" but it's much tougher now to sustain given these additional challenges this era.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Did Hewitt bring Bosh to GT too. He wasn’t listed in the list of players unless I overlooked it. I feel like in my generation he was the first big time player I remember playing at Gtech.

Did Hewitt bring Bosh to GT too. He wasn’t listed in the list of players unless I overlooked it. I feel like in my generation he was the first big time player I remember playing at Gtech.
I always enjoyed Bobby a remind there. I loved hearing the guy talk with that thick Boston accent. IIRC he got Jack and Marbury there too. Good recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT