ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Tucker transferring from Duke

Jakarii

Jan 29, 2016
it always baffles me when players accept scholarships from schools that don’t fit their level of talent. Thee should always be someone in their circle letting them know the reality of their talent and you don’t have to go to a blue blood to make it pro

Yeah, not sure why some of these guys go there knowing they aren't going to play. Wish he was staying tbh.

Oh to have so much talent that top 100 recruits are stuck on the bench...

Is this kid any good? Can he transfer within the ACC?

Reactions: speedfrk
Yeah, not sure why some of these guys go there knowing they aren't going to play. Wish he was staying tbh.
That's kinda the weird thing... He knew coming in and talked about it openly that he'd have to wait his turn and work hard to get time. He wasn't even offered until Knox went elsewhere and committed a few days later, would have been a good redshirt option imo. Oh well.

Reactions: denniden
Oh to have so much talent that top 100 recruits are stuck on the bench...

Is this kid any good? Can he transfer within the ACC?
Could be good. Has a smooth offensive game. Needs to work on his motor.

Hmm. Not sure he would do well with Ham as a coach if he doesn’t have a good motor.
A change of environment works for some guys. Wish he worked it all out at Duke but that’s not going to happen now.

Would be an excellent fit at Notre Dame if he's...

1. Able to transfer within the ACC.

2. Gives up the dream of heading to the NBA anytime soon.

If he sticks around for 4 years, earns an ND degree and gets better under Brey, I could see him as an excellent addition to a talented crop of young guys in South Bend. He has the length that ND really struggles to land on the wing and he would play immediately due to the limited options ND has at that position. If he's able to transfer within the ACC, I hope he considers the Irish. Along with former 5 star UCONN transfer Juwan Durham, and Brey's first ever top 10 incoming class, he could help build the foundation of an excellent program.

Last edited:
Some guys just love playing the game, the Mathews kid that was at Kentucky is a good example.
Yeah, some guys do love to play. I’m sure Tucker didn’t like getting beat out for minutes from Alex O’Connell either.

Except no one knows if he doesn’t have NBA talent since he’s only a freshman. Many have developed into NBA players after being after thoughts as freshmen

i don't understand him leaving
if he does not have NBA talent a Duke degree is not a bad thing

Best of luck to him. He knew the deal when he committed to Duke. Lots of better talent in front of him and more to come. Hope he ends up where he gets a lot of p.t. and not end up like D. Thornton has at Southern Cal.

Any word on where he might be heading? Would like to see him land at syracuse. The kid's from new york and was interested in syracuse before committing to duke, and coach k has allowed dukies to transfer to cuse before. It worked out well for gbinije, and we could really use his shooting. Be a nice replacement for battle after he enters the draft this year.

Any word on where he might be heading? Would like to see him land at syracuse. The kid's from new york and was interested in syracuse before committing to duke, and coach k has allowed dukies to transfer to cuse before. It worked out well for gbinije, and we could really use his shooting. Be a nice replacement for battle after he enters the draft this year.

Don't hold your breath. Syracuse was in the Big East when Gbinije transferred there. Now it would be to another ACC school, which would result in 2 years sitting and a loss of a year of eligibility. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the rule.

Hey
Don't hold your breath. Syracuse was in the Big East when Gbinije transferred there. Now it would be to another ACC school, which would result in 2 years sitting and a loss of a year of eligibility. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the rule.
When he transferred to Syracuse in 2012 hadn’t it already been announced that Syracuse would be joining the ACC in 2013?

So much for the set for life, motto the dookies spew!

I am always interested when people put random punctuation in their sentences. Like... why did you put that comma in there? What were you thinking that did? When you speak that sentence aloud, do you pause there?

Anyway... good post. So much for the motto... when it comes to a guy leaving Duke. Spot on.

Hey

When he transferred to Syracuse in 2012 hadn’t it already been announced that Syracuse would be joining the ACC in 2013?

Just based on memory, I don't think it had been. I remember it being one of the first things I thought about when it was announced they were joining. But I could be wrong about that.

But even if that were the case, they weren't a member yet, so the infra-conference rules didn't apply. Now that they do, I would expect him to look elsewhere.

Hey

Yes, i think that's correct. As i recall, boeheim had to get permission from coach k to land gbinije, which he obviously got. I don't think gbinije ever played a game in the big east. Cuse was already in the acc by the time gbinije was eligible to play.

The Duke Staff didn't try to impose any additional restrictions on Gbinije. From a 2012 article:

The only restriction on Gbinije’s transfer came from the ACC. According to ACC rules, any athlete transferring within the conference must sit out one year and loses a year of eligibility.

Interestingly, Duke did not extend the ACC’s rule to apply to Syracuse or Pittsburgh even though both schools are set to join the ACC, possibly as soon as the 2013-14 season. Gbinije, who will sit out the 2012-13 season and then have three years of eligibility remaining, could wind up playing three years in the ACC for Syracuse.

“You’ve got to be impressed with what Coach K did,” Jeff Goodman, a college basketball columnist for CBSSports.com, said. “He did the right thing.”

Reactions: LTDukeFan
The Duke Staff didn't try to impose any additional restrictions on Gbinije. From a 2012 article:

The only restriction on Gbinije’s transfer came from the ACC. According to ACC rules, any athlete transferring within the conference must sit out one year and loses a year of eligibility.

Interestingly, Duke did not extend the ACC’s rule to apply to Syracuse or Pittsburgh even though both schools are set to join the ACC, possibly as soon as the 2013-14 season. Gbinije, who will sit out the 2012-13 season and then have three years of eligibility remaining, could wind up playing three years in the ACC for Syracuse.

“You’ve got to be impressed with what Coach K did,” Jeff Goodman, a college basketball columnist for CBSSports.com, said. “He did the right thing.”

Well, I had that one wrong. I doubt that he'll be able to transfer in conference this time though. I wonder if any other ACC schools had the same deal last time.

I am always interested when people put random punctuation in their sentences. Like... why did you put that comma in there? What were you thinking that did? When you speak that sentence aloud, do you pause there?

Anyway... good post. So much for the motto... when it comes to a guy leaving Duke. Spot on.

Ellipsis.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
ADVERTISEMENT