ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathan Kuminga....

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
Final 4 of Auburn, UK, Duke, And Texas tech.

could reclassify to this years class.

Uk and duke do you guys even have the roster spot for him if he decides to reclassify for this year? Guess he could go to g league as well.

Auburn or G-league. UK is a hat on the table. You also never have to ask if UK has a scholarship available, as they have never filled their allotment the entire time Cal has been there and have only used 12 twice. They are currently at 11, with 2 of those being ineligible this coming season unless they get transfer waivers.

I have no idea, but his brother is on our roster and all the insider articles I have read leads me to believe there is a strong lean towards us. We shall see how it plays out.

You got room?

Has never been and never will be a problem with Beard as the coach. He has shown the willingness to readily churn the roster as required. It makes the gray-hairs cringe sometimes, but it is kind of indicative of our recent ascension. I think the chances are that he'll play in the G-League but, if he plays college ball, there is a lot of smoke around Tech right now. He could be the alpha on a preseason top 10 team (with him, still likely top 15 without him) and make a deep tourney run with his brother. Wherever he plays, it won't really impact his draft status much. Kid is a top 3 lock at this point regardless.

Last edited:
Auburn or G-league. UK is a hat on the table. You also never have to ask if UK has a scholarship available, as they have never filled their allotment the entire time Cal has been there and have only used 12 twice. They are currently at 11, with 2 of those being ineligible this coming season unless they get transfer waivers.

100% agree that it’s Auburn or G League. Pearl is Pearl, so I think Auburn certainly has a chance. But I can say that FSU feels like it’s the G League and decided to up their resources for Cisse.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
How does Duke feel about Kuminga ? because I thought it will be Duke or the G league for a while with how Kuminga's handler is a former Duke player and begged Duke to get back involved.

his half brother is at TTU, they are close. Joel Ntambwe.

i think we are the darkhorse. should be interesting.

also G league seems super stupid. I imagine this will only last a couple years before it's avoided. paying a kid 500k to sit on the shelf and have 12 scrimmages doesn't seem like development.

Reactions: tw3301

also G league seems super stupid. I imagine this will only last a couple years before it's avoided. paying a kid 500k to sit on the shelf and have 12 scrimmages doesn't seem like development.
Tech is not the dark horse, they are sitting in second place behind the G League as it stands today.

How does Duke feel about Kuminga ? because I thought it will be Duke or the G league for a while with how Kuminga's handler is a former Duke player and begged Duke to get back involved.
Who's his handler?

Your omitting the fact that the G league won’t have an hour limit on the amount of time they can practice with coaches nor “dead periods” and they will literally have no other obligations other than playing basketball and learning about the NBA lifestyle and how to be fiscally responsible. Plus they will be coached/taught by former NBA players and Coaches.

I agree that I don’t understand where the $$$ is coming from or how the NBA could possibly recoup it, but if cbb actually “cleans up” after the fbi probe, I don’t think the G League Select is going anywhere anytime soon.

Fan exposure will be the only thing where playing college ball will have an advantage over the G League, but even that hasn’t stopped a handful of kids from going overseas the last half decade. Now they can do it in Vegas, get paid (legally), as well as negotiate with shoe companies and other advertising agencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
Your omitting the fact that the G league won’t have an hour limit on the amount of time they can practice with coaches nor “dead periods” and they will literally have no other obligations other than playing basketball and learning about the NBA lifestyle and how to be fiscally responsible. Plus they will be coached/taught by former NBA players and Coaches.

I agree that I don’t understand where the $$$ is coming from or how the NBA could possibly recoup it, but if cbb actually “cleans up” after the fbi probe, I don’t think the G League Select is going anywhere anytime soon.

Fan exposure will be the only thing where playing college ball will have an advantage over the G League, but even that hasn’t stopped a handful of kids from going overseas the last half decade. Now they can do it in Vegas, get paid (legally), as well as negotiate with shoe companies and other advertising agencies.

The money is coming from the billions of dollars of TV and sponsorship revenue the league makes annually ($200k-$500k for a handful of players is pennies compared to the NBA’s revenue). And it will be recouped by all the teams who don’t waste money on a high potential draft pick that doesn’t pay off. If one of these G League players doesn’t meet their expectations during the year long fellowship, or if they exhibit red flags on/off the court, they simply won’t be drafted as highly as they would have been. Which saves money for the owners and teams in the long run.

Keep in mind that all the professional leagues already run rookie symposiums and what not that teach them these kind of lessons. What the NBA is doing is taking something that was one or two weeks long and turning into a year long program. No different than a grad school fellowship or spending a year at Oxford or something.

so basically they scrimmage for a year and learn not to fvck strippers. that's not development, that's going on hold. they aren't doing any meaningful games in front of any fans for an entire year. playing pick up ball with a trainer and a life coach for a year isn't going to move your game along in any meaningful way.

and some washout NBA coach making 75k a year vs Kryzewski, Callipari, Beard... it isn't even a comparison. The support staffs on bigtime college campuses are a different animal as well.

JMO, i still think the euro league is a better option. 60 very competitive games a year vs very good euro players and college graduates who are almost good enough to be in the NBA. i think the real reason high school players don't go this route is because some of them would get embarrassed in the euro league.

Reactions: wesr
so basically they scrimmage for a year and learn not to fvck strippers. that's not development, that's going on hold. they aren't doing any meaningful games in front of any fans for an entire year. playing pick up ball with a trainer and a life coach for a year isn't going to move your game along in any meaningful way.

and some washout NBA coach making 75k a year vs Kryzewski, Callipari, Beard... it isn't even a comparison. The support staffs on bigtime college campuses are a different animal as well.

JMO, i still think the euro league is a better option. 60 very competitive games a year vs very good euro players and college graduates who are almost good enough to be in the NBA. i think the real reason high school players don't go this route is because some of them would get embarrassed in the euro league.

Why does an 18 year old need the wear and tear of 60 competitive games against grown ass men?

Reactions: klize17
Why does an 18 year old need the wear and tear of 60 competitive games against grown ass men?

To develop. You are talking about the time period where you can take that wear and tear and get drastically better.

His AAU coach, Andy Borman.. a former walk on under coach K and supposedly K's nephew or something like that
You mean frosty tips? Yes, he is K's nephew.
UBv4PWOwNIDIdaLhsjHIiadlQt07FuKmGdjH_AAV0t2XtDWIG-m5fQh6r2Dw_FBfSeEaHp3UyLcpmGZMeEjBZ3cwRtfjf6_xDq_eFVFPaB_rExzoSR6g0jQIaQMXeCDbKldC

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL

Who has the G League developed? What are the success stories? Like what guys came out of high school went to the G League and then had success in the NBA?

Totally disagree.

Those coaches you mentioned are trying to win games
That is their #1 priority

The #1 priority of the G League is to develop talent.
Plus you also have limitations between the amount of hours a coach can actually coach because of the NCAA.

Those "burnout" NBA coaches are coaching the NBA game and preparing these players to play in the NBA.
Just matters the recruit and what he is trying to do but ultimately the G League has its pluses compared to College basketball and one is with development

College Basketball had its chance

Make everything NBA regulation and play more of a NBA game.

They didn't.
They have had 15 years to fix this. Believe it was 2006 when the NBA stopped allowing high school players to jump.
This was going to happen and they been looking for a way.

This gives players a year to develop and makes sure you don't have another Kwame Brown.

Kids play that many games every year in today's world. High School and AAU combined they are playing 8-9 months a year.

Not defending anything the NBA does, and I don't really care what kid jumps into their world. Just hope they have learned how to balance a check book before doing so. The last time they drafted high school players the results were spotty at best, and some kids got hosed by the sharks.

I will still follow what shows up in Lexington in August. The NBA could be playing in my driveway and I wouldn't watch.

Reactions: TTUcamper
Kids play that many games every year in today's world. High School and AAU combined they are playing 8-9 months a year.

Not defending anything the NBA does, and I don't really care what kid jumps into their world. Just hope they have learned how to balance a check book before doing so. The last time they drafted high school players the results were spotty at best, and some kids got hosed by the sharks.

I will still follow what shows up in Lexington in August. The NBA could be playing in my driveway and I wouldn't watch.

You said kids play that many high school and aau games. I asked why would an 18 year old want to go through the wear and tear of playing 60 games in Europe against grown men (while still not getting developed by NBA coaches)? That’s a huge difference.

I don’t see why so many care anyway. This G League fellowship seems like a great program for 5-8 kids a year. And college basketball will still get plenty of talent and be very exciting to watch.

Look at the final AP top 5 this year: Kansas, Gonzaga, Dayton, FSU, Baylor.

I’m not sure there is a single guy on those rosters who would have gone to the G league fellowship if it existed. Maybe Azubuike or Pat Williams? Maybe?

Who has the G League developed? What are the success stories? Like what guys came out of high school went to the G League and then had success in the NBA?

None. This is the first year they are doing the g league select.

Also high profile college coaches like Calipari and Pitino were “nba washouts” so I don’t think that’s an angle you can take.

Also with all the cupcakes OOC and in some conferences, some college teams probably only play 12-15 competitive games a year. And this year there may be no fans anywhere bc of corona.

I have no idea if this will work, but I like the fact that it gives kids an option that have no interest in college ie getting a degree.

And ur right, a 18 yo kid out of high school would probably struggle in the euro league, just as they would in the nba. I have no idea if the new program will be successful, but I personally like the thought process behind it.

Reactions: GE Nole
You said kids play that many high school and aau games. I asked why would an 18 year old want to go through the wear and tear of playing 60 games in Europe against grown men (while still not getting developed by NBA coaches)? That’s a huge difference.

I don’t see why so many care anyway. This G League fellowship seems like a great program for 5-8 kids a year. And college basketball will still get plenty of talent and be very exciting to watch.

Look at the final AP top 5 this year: Kansas, Gonzaga, Dayton, FSU, Baylor.

I’m not sure there is a single guy on those rosters who would have gone to the G league fellowship if it existed. Maybe Azubuike or Pat Williams? Maybe?

College Basketball between 1995-2006 wasn't too bad.
There were some players I wished Texas could have gotten but even with that it didn't change much.

Reactions: GE Nole
Totally disagree.

Those coaches you mentioned are trying to win games
That is their #1 priority

The #1 priority of the G League is to develop talent.
Plus you also have limitations between the amount of hours a coach can actually coach because of the NCAA.

Those "burnout" NBA coaches are coaching the NBA game and preparing these players to play in the NBA.
Just matters the recruit and what he is trying to do but ultimately the G League has its pluses compared to College basketball and one is with development

I'm not sure how you develop into an NBA star playing 12 meaningless scrimmages instead of a season of big games in front of packed crowds.

those coaches win games by developing players into huge talents, thats the only way you win games. i'm not sure what fantastical world you live in but that logic holds zero water. otherwise TTU wouldn't churn out first round pick after first round pick from a bunch of 3 and 4stars. you need really good players to win games.

the NBA vs college argument's a dumb one. they are both basketball and very similar. the only difference in the NBA game is nobody plays that hard because the games and season are so long.

I'm not sure how you develop into an NBA star playing 12 meaningless scrimmages instead of a season of big games in front of packed crowds.

those coaches win games by developing players into huge talents, thats the only way you win games. i'm not sure what fantastical world you live in but that logic holds zero water. otherwise TTU wouldn't churn out first round pick after first round pick from a bunch of 3 and 4stars. you need really good players to win games.

the NBA vs college argument's a dumb one. they are both basketball and very similar. the only difference in the NBA game is nobody plays that hard because the games and season are so long.

This is a bad post. The bold might be the stupidest thing ever said on this board.

This is a bad post. The bold might be the stupidest thing ever said on this board.

they are very similar, the skill set from college to pro translates and it has for years. it will continue to for years.

they are very similar, the skill set from college to pro translates and it has for years. it will continue to for years.

Athleticism?
Yes athleticism translates because players don't lose it.

In terms of college basketball compared to the NBA.
NBA is a lot more isolation. This is due to the space. A lot more space on the floor
This is due to the lane size and 3 point line
Best thing college could have done was make this the same as the NBA. Make the shot clock the same as well.
Universal rules

There were some changes and testing different things but college stuck to being different.

From about 1995 with Kevin Garnett to about 2006 with players like Kendrick Perkins college basketball missed out on about 100 players including two of the best players the last 30 years in Kobe and LeBron.

I still enjoyed CBB and didn't see much of a change when these one and dones came back.
We did see some great ones like D Rose, Anthony Davis and Zion.
Even without them I still would have watched basketball

Reactions: Villian07

Go takea peek at the thread titled best players to never have an nba impact. There are numerous stars from every school whose game didn’t translate to the nba. And there’s been guys who put up better numbers in their rookie season in the nba than they did their last season in college.

Suggesting that every star college players skill set will translate to the nba is just plain wrong. A couple inches too short, a half step too slow, can be the difference in an college all-American never doing much of anything in the NBA. Hell look at Garza, one of if not the most productive college players last year, runner up for the Naismith award and he’s having to decide whether or not to go pro bc he’s likely to go undrafted and his ceiling is probably the second round. Same for SEC POY Immanuel Quickley, though his stock is probably higher than Garza. Same for pre-season POY Cassius Winston.

Your take is just wrong imo

Like I have a few weeks earlier Rod Strickland could be the best recruiter in the game right now.

With the changes to the new rules it gives College Basketball teams a chance but ultimately it comes down to if you can put a player in a better position than the G League

They went after Greg Brown hard but at the end of the day Shaka's relationship with him is what saved Shaka's job and made sure Brown signed with Texas

I am all for what is best for these players. If it is the G League it doesn't upset me at all

The big question imo is whether the G League can give you enough exposure to build up a brand that shoe companies and other endorsers would be willing to give out big contracts.Doubt Zion would have got the endorsement deals without the Duke exposure.

He already had the shoe contracts prior to college according to some

The shoe companies are on these recruits at the AAU level. 15 and 16 years old

The question is this ..

Does the NBA plan to market the G League as competition for college basketball.

This is where it is dangerous because NBA can control the draft picks and they draft all their G League players first so they can gain leverage with the Players and then market these G League games to a televsion auidence

ADVERTISEMENT