ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Scheyer over Tommy Amaker..

I'm not saying it's the best approach not sure why you thought it was an argument. Just pointing out it's not unprecedented to have a HC with no experience.

IU, Mich, AZ, Duke, UNC - recent openings filled with kinda unexpected path.. Louisville might go get a 55 year old assistant Kenny Payne who is on the Knicks bench with no HC experience.

I think lots of people just think there's a pool of candidates that ain't really there. You here people pump up the tOSU dude he may be fine. He lost 1st rd as a 2 seed.

I thought it was more of a discussion than argument. I appreciate what are saying here.

I just think when you hire a guy at a huge blue blood program with no experience you automatically have to expect a few years of coaching mistakes on top of the fact he may end up not being good anyway. That seems like a risk you avoid when hiring someone who is at least already a good coach who you know can run a program.

I think I'm the only one pumping up Holtmann, haha.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I'm not saying it's the best approach not sure why you thought it was an argument. Just pointing out it's not unprecedented to have a HC with no experience.

IU, Mich, AZ, Duke, UNC - recent openings filled with kinda unexpected path.. Louisville might go get a 55 year old assistant Kenny Payne who is on the Knicks bench with no HC experience.

I think lots of people just think there's a pool of candidates that ain't really there. You here people pump up the tOSU dude he may be fine. He lost 1st rd as a 2 seed.

The Houstons, Michigans, Alabamas take chances on unproven assistants. Kentucky, KU, Duke, UNC shouldn't.

I thought it was more of a discussion than argument. I appreciate what are saying here.

I just think when you hire a guy at a huge blue blood program with no experience you automatically have to expect a few years of coaching mistakes on top of the fact he may end up not being good anyway. That seems like a risk you avoid when hiring someone who is at least already a good coach who you know can run a program.

Holtmann is popular on a lot of these boards I visit a few different ones.

I think the issue is the pool of candidates is weak, this generation of head coaches that are considered higher end seem happy where they are. Who knows who gets contacted back channels that say no thanks.

I see a lot of head coaches just use job openings to leverage raises where they are already happy.

For a long time I kind of expected Billy D, Stevens, maybe Wright to move to the top jobs like UNC, Duke, IU. I think they are just happy where they are not really candidates right now.

I like Holtmann and thought he was the most likely candidate that we could get that I would have been very happy with.

If Holtmann lost as a 2 seed in the first round at UNC y'all would wanna cut his nuts off and mail them to his mother.

If Holtmann lost as a 2 seed in the first round at UNC y'all would wanna cut his nuts off and mail them to his mother.

There were no perfect candidates. No offense to Ohio State but I think he could get better talent at UNC so that’d probably be less likely.

Guthridge lost as a 3 seed the year he didn’t make the final 4.

Holtmann is popular on a lot of these boards I visit a few different ones.

I think the issue is the pool of candidates is weak, this generation of head coaches that are considered higher end seem happy where they are. Who knows who gets contacted back channels that say no thanks.

I see a lot of head coaches just use job openings to leverage raises where they are already happy.

For a long time I kind of expected Billy D, Stevens, maybe Wright to move to the top jobs like UNC, Duke, IU. I think they are just happy where they are not really candidates right now.
Calipari knows Holtmann very well could be his coach in waiting.

Pretty clear coach K feels more comfortable with a coach that “looks” like him huh? Seems a bit race driven to me. Also LOL at the president of Duke apparently pushing for Amaker but the basketball coach being able to overrule him. Glad to see the President is in control in Durham.

Why didn’t Auburn hire him instead of Pearl?

IU hired Mike Davis without having any HC experience. He won 7 NCAA T games for them in 6 years. Fired him after making round of 32.

They then hired Sampson, Crean, and Archie. Those 3 combined for 8 NCAA T wins in roughly 15 years. Sampson made R32 once, little Archie didn't.

Last edited:
Yeah. Hiring an unproven assistant is the number 1 way to continue winning games and titles. Name a situation where an assistant successfully replaced a legend? Didnt work at ucla. Didn’t work long term at Indiana. Didn’t work long term at uconn. Doesn’t appear to be working at unc now and didn’t work at unc after dean smith either

How big is this sample size? I mean, there aren't that many legends that are replaced by assistants. Kevin Ollie didn't work out in the long-term, but he still won a natty. And Guthridge was old, but he went to 2 Final Fours in 3 years.

Happens a lot more in football. And they do just fine, mostly. Lincoln Riley went to the college football playoffs 3 times in 5 year span at OU. Ryan Day has been in the CFP twice in 3 seasons at OSU. Jimbo Fisher won a national title at FSU.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
How big is this sample size? I mean, there aren't that many legends that are replaced by assistants. Kevin Ollie didn't work out in the long-term, but he still won a natty. And Guthridge was old, but he went to 2 Final Fours in 3 years.

Happens a lot more in football. And they do just fine, mostly. Lincoln Riley went to the college football playoffs 3 times in 5 year span at OU. Ryan Day has been in the CFP twice in 3 seasons at OSU. Jimbo Fisher won a national title at FSU.
Logic and common sense will not work with the unstable and irrational.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Mark few, jay wright, Brad Steven’s. That is who you should of been contacting. You are duke. Act like it

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan

Gotta add Izzo following Judd

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT