ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Goodman Ranks Texas #2

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Could be an interesting conference season. Looking forward to their matchup with KU.

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
Oops. Forgot the lube again, Chris....

ActiveIdenticalAmethystgemclam-max-1mb.gif

I think somebody said he lost a bet.

Found it. Lol. Imagine making a ban bet about a Nebraska Cornhusker’s baseball players draft position. Sheriff truly does think he knows everything.

He does indeed. We got into it over Husker baseball and he put it all on the line over our star player not getting drafted in the first 2 rounds.

Braves took him in the 2nd and he hasn't posted since.

If you're reading this Sherf, you can come back ban bets are stupid.”

Found it. Lol. Imagine making a ban bet about a Nebraska Cornhusker’s baseball players draft position. Sheriff truly does think he knows everything.

He does indeed. We got into it over Husker baseball and he put it all on the line over our star player not getting drafted in the first 2 rounds.

Braves took him in the 2nd and he hasn't posted since.

If you're reading this Sherf, you can come back ban bets are stupid.”
Thats effin priceless. Of all the hills to die on 😂

Sadly hed prob Rather quit posting than admit he was wrong about something.

Had to impose a self-ban over something that three people in the world care about. 🤣

Texas should be pretty good, but I don't think the formula's going to be as simple as accomplished coach + talented players = great team.

Carr is a volume shooter and a ball hog. Takes a ton of bad shots. Will the coaching staff be able to rein him in? For that matter, there are a lot of volume shooters and inefficient players on their roster.

Then you have to consider chemistry. An entire rotation full of transfers with immediate eligibility is an unprecedented thing.

I'm also not sold on Beard's Xs and Os abilities. I think his talent is in recruiting and motivating. The defense was left entirely in Adams' hands and Beard obviously isn't known for offensive wizardry or late game brilliance.

Im not sure its fair to judge carr for what he did at minn with little to no help around him. When your the best player on a mediocre team sometimes you HAVE to take bad shots or you might get no shot off at all.

Also i wonder if TT hadnt named adams their head coach, would any of us outside the big12 have ever even heard of the guy and his defensive genius. I dont follow tt or the big 12 to have an opinion on Beards Xs and Os but its not like he was outrecruiting everyone else and thats why TT made some deep tourney runs with him at the helm. They had some good players, sure, but its not like they had 5 stars up and down the roster, like some rosters weve seen in that same time frame.

Im not sure its fair to judge carr for what he did at minn with little to no help around him. When your the best player on a mediocre team sometimes you HAVE to take bad shots or you might get no shot off at all.

Also i wonder if TT hadnt named adams their head coach, would any of us outside the big12 have ever even heard of the guy and his defensive genius. I dont follow tt or the big 12 to have an opinion on Beards Xs and Os but its not like he was outrecruiting everyone else and thats why TT made some deep tourney runs with him at the helm. They had some good players, sure, but its not like they had 5 stars up and down the roster, like some rosters weve seen in that same time frame.
I think you know that the HC gets nearly all the credit for a team's success in CBB.

I'm not saying that I think that Adams alone would have pulled off what Tech accomplished. I think they were a good combo. But I've never heard anyone praise Beard for Xs and Os. I've heard a lot of praise for Adams in that dept. He's snagged numerous coaching awards at lower levels and at Tech too. Obviously some Tech fans might exaggerate his importance, but he was the architect of the defense and that defense is the main reason for Tech's success. Not an offense that was consistently in the 150-200 range nationally. There's a reason that Beard was bitter about him not joining his staff.

Also, being a good recruiter isn't necessarily going to get you top 5 classes at Texas Tech. But he was bringing in some good classes, especially compared to what they're used to.

I think you know that the HC gets nearly all the credit for a team's success in CBB.

I'm not saying that I think that Adams alone would have pulled off what Tech accomplished. I think they were a good combo. But I've never heard anyone praise Beard for Xs and Os. I've heard a lot of praise for Adams in that dept. He's snagged numerous coaching awards at lower levels and at Tech too. Obviously some Tech fans might exaggerate his importance, but he was the architect of the defense and that defense is the main reason for Tech's success. Not an offense that was consistently in the 150-200 range nationally. There's a reason that Beard was bitter about him not joining his staff.

Also, being a good recruiter isn't necessarily going to get you top 5 classes at Texas Tech. But he was bringing in some good classes, especially compared to what they're used to.
Yea i wasnt trying to downplay Adams success or anything. Just from an outsiders perspective the dude went from someone ive never heard of to the only reason chris beard can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Not you directly and you acknowledged as much in your post, more so the tt faithful.

But again im not gonna pretend to be any more than a Louisville fan, i dont follow the big 12 much. Im not plugged in to anyone anywhere. I like to gamble on games but not to the point i know the asst coaches by name. Not even too sure i can name all ours.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Had to impose a self-ban over something that three people in the world care about. 🤣

Texas should be pretty good, but I don't think the formula's going to be as simple as accomplished coach + talented players = great team.

Carr is a volume shooter and a ball hog. Takes a ton of bad shots. Will the coaching staff be able to rein him in? For that matter, there are a lot of volume shooters and inefficient players on their roster.

Then you have to consider chemistry. An entire rotation full of transfers with immediate eligibility is an unprecedented thing.

I'm also not sold on Beard's Xs and Os abilities. I think his talent is in recruiting and motivating. The defense was left entirely in Adams' hands and Beard obviously isn't known for offensive wizardry or late game brilliance.

Agreed with the first part of your post, though I think you're underselling his coaching ability. I do think the Texas homer really underestimates how hard it is to get an entire new squad to gel. I think Cal is as good as any coach at getting his guys to gel, and it still takes him many months every year. Beard hasn't coached a squad close to the talent level here, and they added a lot of guys who expect the ball in their hand every possession. How does it mesh?

I was a huge fan of Timmy Allen coming in. But he's not a shooter. You leaving a guy who can't shoot on the wing? Carr is a big volume shooter like you said. He might be better off the ball but he doesn't transfer in without knowing he's playing PG i'd bet. It's a super fascinating situation to watch. If Beard has this team meshing they could be quite dangerous. I'd bet on them being a top 20ish team and maybe a 5-6 seed come March.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Agreed with the first part of your post, though I think you're underselling his coaching ability. I do think the Texas homer really underestimates how hard it is to get an entire new squad to gel. I think Cal is as good as any coach at getting his guys to gel, and it still takes him many months every year. Beard hasn't coached a squad close to the talent level here, and they added a lot of guys who expect the ball in their hand every possession. How does it mesh?

I was a huge fan of Timmy Allen coming in. But he's not a shooter. You leaving a guy who can't shoot on the wing? Carr is a big volume shooter like you said. He might be better off the ball but he doesn't transfer in without knowing he's playing PG i'd bet. It's a super fascinating situation to watch. If Beard has this team meshing they could be quite dangerous. I'd bet on them being a top 20ish team and maybe a 5-6 seed come March.

We very will could be a 5 seed come March, since it will take the team some time to gel, but we'll be playing like a 2 or 3 seed. Feel bad for the 1 and 4 on our bracket if that's how it works out.

I hope we don't play Allen on the wing, he's a 25% 3pt shooter. I think we'll play a 3 gaurd lineup a lot, with disu at the 4. He can be a wing.

I'm hoping Carr had to take high volume cause he was the best player on a bad team. I think he was told by NBA to work on his PG skills, so I'm thinking on his off nights, he doesn't have to be the primary scorer, and 1 for 13 at Minnesota becomes 1 for 5 at Texas.

This season looks like there are going to be a lot of really good teams. Kinda bummed because it originally looked like Gonzaga was gonna be a clear favorite. That Texas game at GU is gonna be the biggest home game in Gonzaga history.
Too bad it's so early in the season. Gonzaga will probably roll. Texas doesn't have any size, won't be able to contain Timme and the incoming 5* 7fter. Texas will have to get hot to keep it close.

Size will be a problem all year for Texas.

We very will could be a 5 seed come March, since it will take the team some time to gel, but we'll be playing like a 2 or 3 seed. Feel bad for the 1 and 4 on our bracket if that's how it works out.

I hope we don't play Allen on the wing, he's a 25% 3pt shooter. I think we'll play a 3 gaurd lineup a lot, with disu at the 4. He can be a wing.

I'm hoping Carr had to take high volume cause he was the best player on a bad team. I think he was told by NBA to work on his PG skills, so I'm thinking on his off nights, he doesn't have to be the primary scorer, and 1 for 13 at Minnesota becomes 1 for 5 at Texas.

Allen is an excellent player, just not sure of the fit with another high volume scorer in Carr. Disu was an awesome pickup as well. Think he's got a chance to be an All B12 player. My main point though was that Texas is basically an entire new team with a new coach. This isn't a video game where everyone meshes well. I think Cal is better at that than everyone and UK struggles every year with it. Maybe it being transfers will help, but Idk.

Allen is an excellent player, just not sure of the fit with another high volume scorer in Carr. Disu was an awesome pickup as well. Think he's got a chance to be an All B12 player. My main point though was that Texas is basically an entire new team with a new coach. This isn't a video game where everyone meshes well. I think Cal is better at that than everyone and UK struggles every year with it. Maybe it being transfers will help, but Idk.
One obvious difference is UK is dealing with OADs, while these Texas guys are experienced college players. UK guys are more interested in their NBA profiles.

ADVERTISEMENT