ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Green makes the G League viable.

Even then every player is different..

In regards to Greg Brown by no means is his family wealthy but they are well off.

A lot of this is because of their hard work and the University of Texas.

350K for one year isn't more important than loyalty.
Both his Dad and uncle were pull up out of poverty in Baton Rouge because of the university.
So that means something to him.

Could u elaborate on how Browns dad and uncle got out of the poverty of Baton Rouge by way of the university of Texas in Austin? I could understand if it was LSU, and I’m not trying to flame, just trying to understand, did UT hire them or something

After his recruitment I have to say at least Roy Williams and UNC were smart enough to know they didn't have much of a chance.

He was going to Texas the entire time and they were secure enough to let him have fun.
UNC knew this and didn't pursue him as hard as other players.

Auburn, Memphis and Michigan on the otherhand have to be pretty stupid.
Especially Auburn.

You have to give Auburn credit though. They are trying to raise their level in basketball.
They just not hitting on anyone

After his recruitment I have to say at least Roy Williams and UNC were smart enough to know they didn't have much of a chance.

He was going to Texas the entire time and they were secure enough to let him have fun.
UNC knew this and didn't pursue him as hard as other players.

Auburn, Memphis and Michigan on the otherhand have to be pretty stupid.
Especially Auburn.

You have to give Auburn credit though. They are trying to raise their level in basketball.
They just not hitting on anyone

Memphis and Michigan have coaches who are new to the college game. Bruce Pearl just has a lot of confidence in himself. For better or worse.

Do you think these kids can turn $500,000 into what I can or will it start them down the wrong financial path, or just delay the inevitable?

It would be different with every player. Some would inevitably blow it, others would be more frugal and make it last quite a while, or even use it to create their own business or career.

Would be no different imo than the professional athletes or celebrities in general that end up broke, after earning tens of millions of dollars, while others that earned the same amount set themselves and their families up for life.

It would be different with every player. Some would inevitably blow it, others would be more frugal and make it last quite a while, or even use it to create their own business or career.

Would be no different imo than the professional athletes or celebrities in general that end up broke, after earning tens of millions of dollars, while others that earned the same amount set themselves and their families up for life.
At least the pro athletes made it look like they were in college, three or four years.
The ones we are talking about don’t even give it a serious try.

At least the pro athletes made it look like they were in college, three or four years.
The ones we are talking about don’t even give it a serious try.

I’m not really sure the point ur trying to make, but the ones that don’t give it a serious try, as u put it, most likely never wanted or would have went to college at all if not for the nba’s OaD rule.

Regardless I’m sure there are examples of pro athletes blowing the money they made in the NBA whether they stayed in college 3-4 years or only played 1 year or went straight to the league out of high school before the OaD era. Every player is different and has different “influences” in their lives to lump them all together like every players situation is the same.

I just feel like most of the top prospects would be better served learning pertinent information based on their career path in the G league select, from people who have experienced the same things they are going through than taking random college courses with no intentions of getting a degree. Not to mention no restrictions on the amount of time they can practice with the coaches.

But I also agree college offers way more exposure as well as way way better career opportunities if a basketball career doesn’t work out for a highly rated high school prospect.

I can see positives of both paths as well as some negatives. We will have to wait a few years to see how successful the new G League Select is. I just like the fact that they at least have the option, instead of just either going to college for a year or going somewhere overseas to play professionally before they are eligible to be drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT