ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Green makes the G League viable.

Jalen Green doesn’t make shit viable, but $500K sure does. I’m not overly familiar with the G-League contracts, but I’m assuming $500K is substantially more than they’ve previously shelled-out, correct?

I see that as a game changer much more than any decision made by JG.

Reactions: tw3301
Jalen Green doesn’t make shit viable, but $500K sure does. I’m not overly familiar with the G-League contracts, but I’m assuming $500K is substantially more than they’ve previously shelled-out, correct?

I see that as a game changer much more than any decision made by JG.

Yeah, before it was only $125k. That was obviously not gonna be enough.

More than the money, I think this time they seem to have put some really good thought into it. If you read about the program it’s more like a fellowship than playing in the G League. They wouldn’t be on some random G League team in the middle of Arkansas. They would be receiving training in basketball, financial literacy, nutrition, etc. and they would practice with a mix of G League vets and former NBA players. Then they would play like 12-15 exhibition games, or something similar, against pro teams.

Seems like a great alternative for someone like Green or Wiseman who has zero desire to attend school.

You all think $500k is a lot but it really isn't. If his stock drops just one draft spot in the top 10, he will will end up a loser in this financially.

Unless your family is in dire need of money right now, this just isn't a sound financial investment.

You all think $500k is a lot but it really isn't. If his stock drops just one draft spot in the top 10, he will will end up a loser in this financially.

Unless your family is in dire need of money right now, this just isn't a sound financial investment.

There's an assumption that playing in the G League is going to hurt his draft stock. I'm not sure that's true.

Or he could go to college and get hurt or not live up to expectations and cost himself there as well, without the 500k. Bird in hand kinda thing I guess .

I def agree that the gleague route has is downfalss as wall, mainly exposure, Go to college for a year and you get a lifelong fan base like duke fans and Zion or Barrett and uk fans and AD or KAT

Reactions: Noahtogo24
There's an assumption that playing in the G League is going to hurt his draft stock. I'm not sure that's true.

Yea i think with the extra practice time and instruction he will probably be a better player for spending a year in the g league. But it also might give scouts extra tape to pick apart his game.

Yea i think with the extra practice time and instruction he will probably be a better player for spending a year in the g league. But it also might give scouts extra tape to pick apart his game.

G-League will be better competition consistently. But NBA scouts are going to know that as well.

I think you’re putting yourself in a position where more of your flaws can be brought out against grown men, where as Jalen Green is the kind of recruit that could go to a smaller school, put up big stats and be virtually guaranteed to be a top pick.

I still think he will be, but the jump from high school to college is smaller than the jump from high school to G league. G League teams would beat college teams easily.

I'm pretty sure it will for a couple reasons.

1. NBA scouts have trouble comparing players that don't play college to players that do. Luka was the MVP of the second best Professional league in the World and still went 3rd.

2. G League basketball is better than College Ball. This league is filled with former lottery picks and college All Americans. Green is still just 18 years old, and every player is going to want a piece of him to improve their own stock. He will be going up against grown men.

Or he could go to college and get hurt or not live up to expectations and cost himself there as well, without the 500k. Bird in hand kinda thing I guess .

I def agree that the gleague route has is downfalss as wall, mainly exposure, Go to college for a year and you get a lifelong fan base like duke fans and Zion or Barrett and uk fans and AD or KAT
That's a silly argument. Please name a player in the last 10 years that was going to be a top 10 pick that got so badly hurt in college that he never got a chance at the NBA. The NBA will always pick you up if they think they have a shot at getting value. Hell, Harry Giles was still picked 20th overall after his disastrous year at Duke.

Also let's say that he does get so injured that he can never play again. Well the kid will get a free education and 3 years of medical help from the school. And if he went to a big time school, he will have about 50 job offers from local alumni when he graduates.

That's a silly argument. Please name a player in the last 10 years that was going to be a top 10 pick that got so badly hurt in college that he never got a chance at the NBA. The NBA will always pick you up if they think they have a shot at getting value. Hell, Harry Giles was still picked 20th overall after his disastrous year at Duke.

Also let's say that he does get so injured that he can never play again. Well the kid will get a free education and 3 years of medical help from the school. And if he went to a big time school, he will have about 50 job offers from local alumni when he graduates.
500k pays for a helluva lot of education. The medical help is part of his g league contract, and in the NBA collective bargaining agreement. He will form relationships with many businessmen including shoe companies. If it were me, I'm taking the 500k. The other HS kids who have gone to Europe, China, and Australia haven't suffered in the draft.

I'm pretty sure it will for a couple reasons.

1. NBA scouts have trouble comparing players that don't play college to players that do. Luka was the MVP of the second best Professional league in the World and still went 3rd.

2. G League basketball is better than College Ball. This league is filled with former lottery picks and college All Americans. Green is still just 18 years old, and every player is going to want a piece of him to improve their own stock. He will be going up against grown men.

NBA scouts will understand that G-League ball is better than college ball. They've seen what Green can do vs. college level competition in high level AAU games. Let's see where LaMelo Ball goes in the NBA draft this year.

And Luka was the first guard/wing drafted in 2018. A lot of teams prioritize going after bigs early in the draft. Has nothing to do with him playing in Europe.

Just bc it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it can’t.

No but to act like a kid can’t have a career ending injury bc it’s never happened to a one and done is ignorant imo.

Plus think of all the sure fire one and dones that never got drafted at all, like Alex Poythress. He fits both bills and would have been better if going G league after HS had it been available.

500k pays for a helluva lot of education. The medical help is part of his g league contract, and in the NBA collective bargaining agreement. He will form relationships with many businessmen including shoe companies. If it were me, I'm taking the 500k. The other HS kids who have gone to Europe, China, and Australia haven't suffered in the draft.

1. Brandon Jennings was the number 1 overall recruit in the country and ended up being drafted 10th.
2. Mudiay was the second overall recruit and was drafted 7th.
3. RJ Hampton will be drafted in the back end of the lottery.

These players did not help their draft stock. They may not have hurt it but they didn't help it.
$500k is the difference in being drafted just one position higher in the draft. Taking the $500k is a bad business deal.

Zion doesn't get a $100 million dollar shoe deal if he doesn't go to Duke. And if you flame out of the league. No one will be there to help you.

No but to act like a kid can’t have a career ending injury bc it’s never happened to a one and done is ignorant imo.
And I pretty clearly stated that even if he does get a career ending injury, he would be better off if it happened in college.

And I pretty clearly stated that even if he does get a career ending injury, he would be better off if it happened in college.

Meh if I had a career ending injury I’d rather have 500k in my bank account than free tuition and a college degree, but ur argument def has merit.

Besides I’m sure green can negotiate with Nike and adidas now to get himself another paycheck. Won’t be as large as Zions, no but still life changing $.

Do you think these kids can turn $500,000 into what I can or will it start them down the wrong financial path, or just delay the inevitable?

Is the G league separate from the NBA? Where do they get their funding? Loans? If it’s from loans how will they pay it back? It’s kind of well established that people aren’t going to pay a lot of money to go watch semi-pro leagues in person and certainly nobody will watch them on television. I think I recall this being a league that is separate from the NBA. If so I don’t see how they can survive in the long run.

I think you might need to read about the program. They are helping them with shoe deals and what not too.

Reactions: theetommyt
Nearly everyone in here needs to actually read about the program. They aren’t just a regular G League guy playing in games in Cedar Rapids and wherever else.

Do you think these kids can turn $500,000 into what I can or will it start them down the wrong financial path, or just delay the inevitable?
I’m sure they also know about hookers and blow by now

Reactions: ccintn
I think you might need to read about the program. They are helping them with shoe deals and what not too.
I have read up in it. I get the idea that the NBA has a vested interest in this being successful. I buy that it is a better deal than a kid going overseas, but I highly doubt it is better than going to college.

Also there aren’t a ton of details about how this will work. If you have a link that has some more details then I would love to read it. Most articles that pop up on google are just stupid "Death of the NCAA" BS.

From what I have read, it will basically be a team that isn’t associated with the G League (G League Select) and will probably only have 12-15 games.

So who are the rest of his teammates besides Todd? Won’t this team get blown out in every game?

Jalen Green is going to be like that "Intangibles Quarterback" who has all the measurables but is really raw that gets drafted in the 1st round. You will watch the first pre season game because you are interested and you will see him struggle. Then you'll stop watching until he plays in real games. And just like the NFL preseason, the gym may be half full full of apathetic fans that really don't care who wins or loses. Meanwhile other kids are playing in the Duke-North Carolina rivalry with millions of people watching.

1. Brandon Jennings was the number 1 overall recruit in the country and ended up being drafted 10th.
2. Mudiay was the second overall recruit and was drafted 7th.
3. RJ Hampton will be drafted in the back end of the lottery.

These players did not help their draft stock. They may not have hurt it but they didn't help it.
$500k is the difference in being drafted just one position higher in the draft. Taking the $500k is a bad business deal.

Zion doesn't get a $100 million dollar shoe deal if he doesn't go to Duke. And if you flame out of the league. No one will be there to help you.
Recruiting rankings and draft position are not the same thing.

Reactions: AUnit and klize17
Is the G league separate from the NBA? Where do they get their funding? Loans? If it’s from loans how will they pay it back? It’s kind of well established that people aren’t going to pay a lot of money to go watch semi-pro leagues in person and certainly nobody will watch them on television. I think I recall this being a league that is separate from the NBA. If so I don’t see how they can survive in the long run.
Baseball manages it just fine. Hockey too.

Baseball manages it just fine. Hockey too.
Right. But those teams are partly funded and they’re owned by the MLB franchises. I thought the G League was completely separate of the NBA. Like if this Jalen Green guy goes to the G League and plays for a year he can still enter the NBA draft and be taken.

Also, minor league baseball is a pretty important part of American sports culture. People have always loved going to see ballgames. It’s a traditional summer experience for families so I don’t think you can compare the G league to that. I know nothing about hockey so I’ll take your word for it on their minor league system.

The G League is funded by the NBA. As of the this year, the league consists of 28 teams, all of which are either single-affiliated or owned by an NBA team. It is going to be around for a long time.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Right. But those teams are partly funded and they’re owned by the MLB franchises. I thought the G League was completely separate of the NBA. Like if this Jalen Green guy goes to the G League and plays for a year he can still enter the NBA draft and be taken.

Also, minor league baseball is a pretty important part of American sports culture. People have always loved going to see ballgames. It’s a traditional summer experience for families so I don’t think you can compare the G league to that. I know nothing about hockey so I’ll take your word for it on their minor league system.
minor league baseball is mostly independently owned.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT