ADVERTISEMENT

Jai Lucas to Kentucky!!

bkingUK

Sep 23, 2007
Expected to take lead recruiter role. Kentucky always gets their guy.

tenor.gif

Jai Lucas is a good recruiter. Has deep ties to Houston. Pretty much allows Shaka to get any player he wants from the state.

But truthfully I think Shaka is going to upgrade because Alvin Brooks III provides more on the court and also has deep ties to Houston.

Any Texas fans want to give UK fans any insight on Lucas besides the whole he's connected with aau..?? How would you describe him?

Told Shaka that Jacob Young was a better player than Carsen Edwards according to some.

Shaka didn't want to throw him under the bus for that and took full blame.
But I think Shaka was upset by that evaluation. Pretty much said he didn't really know any of the players.

It was Jai's recommendation.

So far Texas has pretty much been able to get any player in the state they want because of Jai Lucas.
Does it help Kentucky. I have no idea.

Ultimately someone there has a great eye for talent.
Possibly Jai was included in the evaluation of Jaxson Hayes and Kai Jones.

This year with David Joplin. A lot feel Joplin has the upside these other two do as well.

Here’s the Kentucky background on Jai Lucas. Back around 2006-2007, Patrick Patterson and Jai Lucas were good friends and believed to be package deal. Tubby Smith had to get a huge recruiting class or job was in jeopardy.

At same time, they also developed relationship with Matt Jones and KSR. Their recruitment basically is why you visited KSR back then because they had all the exclusives on their recruitment. It’s a huge reason Matt Jones got big.

Some time in there Lucas chose Florida by surprise but Patterson didn’t follow. Patterson ended up choosing Kentucky and rest was history. But there was a time when the future of basketball was put on commitment of Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson. If UK gets him 15 years later, it’d be a beautiful thing. It’s also right move for coaching staff who needs more young guys.

Reactions: Yellow Man
Here’s the Kentucky background on Jai Lucas. Back around 2006-2007, Patrick Patterson and Jai Lucas were good friends and believed to be package deal. Tubby Smith had to get a huge recruiting class or job was in jeopardy.

At same time, they also developed relationship with Matt Jones and KSR. Their recruitment basically is why you visited KSR back then because they had all the exclusives on their recruitment. It’s a huge reason Matt Jones got big.

Some time in there Lucas chose Florida by surprise but Patterson didn’t follow. Patterson ended up choosing Kentucky and rest was history. But there was a time when the future of basketball was put on commitment of Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson. If UK gets him 15 years later, it’d be a beautiful thing. It’s also right move for coaching staff who needs more young guys.
Crazy Patterson still in the league. Dude is a solid role player.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Pretty smart by cal. Flint can coach but can’t recruit. Jai can recruit but can’t coach. Bring Jai in on a non coaching staff role, he can recruit while Flint stays home and coaches.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I remember that Patterson/Lucas recruitment. UK definitely got the better of the two.

Lucas had a lot of hype, but honestly I think it had a lot to do with who his dad is, bc he never made a huge impact at Florida iirc.

And damn Patterson has cost me sooooo much money in the bubble lmao. I was fading the clippers bc they had been sitting kawaii, pg, Lou will, trez, and Beverley either the whole game or the second halves, and I’ll be damned if their third stringers didn’t reel off a couple wins and covers smdh. Patterson was super clutch in the two games I lost $$ on fml.

Even as a rival, hard to hate on a guy like Patterson. Just a hard working, lunch pail type guy, who knows his role and causes no drama. Dude does eat boogers tho lol

Reactions: cdbearde
Lol hadn’t heard that story about K. I didn’t even realize Duke was in the picture I thought it was uk, UF, and WVU.

Lol hadn’t heard that story about K. I didn’t even realize Duke was in the picture I thought it was uk, UF, and WVU.
too bad, K crying was a big story at the time. Not b/c he was recruiting him, but the fact it made Patterson's mom very uncomfortable.

Yea that’s pretty weird, I remember Patterson was a 5 star and highly touted, but I don’t remember him being Bill Russell reincarnated in HS.

hell I didn’t even know the devil could cry lol

I remember PP and Lucas at Keeneland during their visit to Lexington. They were in a photo the LHL ran along with a jockey. Lucas was no bigger than the jockey. He wasn't ever going to help UK on the court.

I remember PP and Lucas at Keeneland during their visit to Lexington. They were in a photo the LHL ran along with a jockey. Lucas was no bigger than the jockey. He wasn't ever going to help UK on the court.
As evidenced by his college stat line of 5 ppg, 1 board, and 1.6 assists. Sick Weird decision to transfer after playing 30 mpg as a frosh at Florida then barely played at Texas.

As evidenced by his college stat line of 5 ppg, 1 board, and 1.6 assists. Sick Weird decision to transfer after playing 30 mpg as a frosh at Florida then barely played at Texas.

I hope his recruiting isn't as overrated as his high school career. Gotta trust Cal though.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
UKs pulled plenty of talent out of Texas lately without him, so I doubt he can hurt their recruiting success in Texas.

But then again Kenny Payne has really big shoes to fill, perhaps why they basically hired two assistants to replace him.

Just makes me feel old, I remember when his dad was a hot commodity in the coaching world, but iirc he didn’t have the success most anticipated. I assume he was a helluva player back in his day and that’s why most assumed he’d make a great coach. Not real sure tbh.

His Dad is a decent guy on staff to have.
Like always he comes back to the Rockets.

I wouldn't say he is a terrible coach. Wasn't a great #1 guy but has had success as an assistant.

Jai wanted to be AHC. Shaka said no. Upset Jai so he started looking around.
He should do fine at Kentucky. But I don't think he stays long. Someone is going to give him a chance to be an Associate Head Coach.

ADVERTISEMENT