ADVERTISEMENT

Jabari Smith Wanted to Go to Kentucky

Frustrating. :confused:
Sounds to me like it was an easy sales pitch to BDB recognizing his potential earlier and pointing that out to him his senior year. That’s called recruiting. I would be pissed as an UK fan for Cal’s lazy recruiting tactics by using UK’s prestige…which by the way works most of the time, but some of those top elites he got really didn’t pan out like you all hoped.
I hated to see Reed Sheppard shoot up the rankings like he did because I was a huge fan of his dad when I was a kid. If he would have been a 3 star guard I don’t think Cal would have taken him…and of course BDB would have been all over that.

Sounds like Jabari didn’t really understand the landscape of scholarship limitations and roster management. He took it as a slight against his ability, as opposed to just a reality of the system.

Oh well, worked out for him regardless I guess.

Sounds like Jabari didn’t really understand the landscape of scholarship limitations and roster management. He took it as a slight against his ability, as opposed to just a reality of the system.

Idk blut this, uks roster turnover was always crazy until this year (when they are still bringing in two stud frosh and a transfer. They constantly trotted out what seemed like “brand new” teams every year with stud frosh and the occasional 2-3 year players like pj washington or quickley, or richards. But still not unusual for them to add 3-4-5 highly ranked recruits each class during that time frame.

Sounds like to me if uk wanted him they should have been recruitinf him earlier. Besides when does cal ever use all his schollys anyways?? Hard to believe they were waiting to see their scholly situation before they start recruiting a top 5 kid.

Sounds more like to me, givin UKs success from recruiting to on the court to putting players in the nba, they probably didnt think it mattered how late they got involved with smith, that they could get him regardless, bc its uk, its cal, and their record of producing pros is unmatched (assuming they were even seriously after him i have no clue about his recruitment, maybe they valued collins more idk)

that said u trade brooks for smith last year and jfc what a loaded FC and lineup.

Last edited:
I get where JS is coming from, but UK fans have seen so many players be good as HS freshman and sophomores and not really progress past that. UK has had a few of those. It’s a double-edged sword. You offer to early you get the Sacha Killeya-Jones and burn a scholarship. Wait too long and this happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Villian07
meh. he played for the atlanta celtics, which have been feeding pearl for years. We weren’t getting him no matter when we offered. Don’t care what he says. If pearl wants a guy from that aau program he’s getting them.

"I wanted to lose in the 1st round instead of the 2nd round"
Replace Keion "completely worthless in his entire UK career except for when he throttled Kansas at their house" Brooks with Jabari Smith and it's not a 1st round L, you silly goose.

Also, St. Peter's (Elite 8) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UMBC

Replace Keion "completely worthless in his entire UK career except for when he throttled Kansas at their house" Brooks with Jabari Smith and it's not a 1st round L, you silly goose.

Also, St. Peter's (Elite 8) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UMBC
Unf that doesnt matter much unless yall win it all next year. Uva erased their historic loss with that imo.

id sure trade losing to a 16 for a natty the next year. Prolly trade losing to a 16 4-5 years in a row for a natty.

the bar is high lol

Unf that doesnt matter much unless yall win it all next year. Uva erased their historic loss with that imo.

id sure trade losing to a 16 for a natty the next year. Prolly trade losing to a 16 4-5 years in a row for a natty.

the bar is high lol
#2 seeds have lost in the 1st round 10 times since 1991 though. Something that happens once every three years on average isn't particularly uncommon, unlike a #1 seed losing to a #16 (especially the overall #1).

Sounds more like UK didn't understand the landscape of making room for a kid like this.....You find ways for a Jabari to be on your roster...

Reactions: cdbearde
He was upset UK only started recruiting him when he was a Jr and Sr in HS. Other schools apparently started in middle school so he felt slighted.
UK did reach out to a kid who never had played a HS game.......

Calipari isn’t one to waste his time with a recruit. For the Kentucky head coach to personally visit and watch Maluk practice and scrimmage in his own high school gym is a pretty big and notable deal. Calipari wouldn’t have gone if he didn’t believe there could be something special in Maluk.

Calipari didn’t explicitly tell Maluk or the Imani Christian staff what he liked or didn’t like about Maluk, but he did give them all some words of guidance–even comparing Maluk to an all-time Wildcat great, Anthony Davis.

So there is that, I guess.....

It is also been mentioned by people who seem to know things that Jai Lucas left because Cal only wanted to recruit older people, and he thought it was very important to get in early with players.

For Cal to visit that kid early he must be really special, or he used it as a nice way to fly home on the Universities dime. Maybe both.

It is also been mentioned by people who seem to know things that Jai Lucas left because Cal only wanted to recruit older people, and he thought it was very important to get in early with players.

For Cal to visit that kid early he must be really special, or he used it as a nice way to fly home on the Universities dime. Maybe both.
Like #3 overall pick special?

Reactions: Ingersol
I don't think #3 or even a lot of #1 picks are "special". Anthony Davis was special.

I can't spin anything. I don't really understand your point.
It was tongue-n-cheek....Figured you were referencing the part where Cal comapred him to AD....So thought you were referring to that....

No biggie. Kid went to Auburn....End of story. Lots of kids want to go to UK, Duke, UNC, etc, etc....don't get the love early, get feelings hurt, yaddda, yadda, yadda....IMO, just move on. No reason to bring up the shit now, you know?

Reactions: I am stupid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT