ADVERTISEMENT

Ja Morant

I have Murray State upsetting FSU Saturday. They'll need another Triple Double efficient performance out of Morant to pull that off.

If you were starting a college basketball team, would you take Ja or Zion first?

After watching this game, I think that is a legit question. Zion is more dominant but Ja makes his teammates better enough that I think I might take him.

Reactions: RollTide7277
The number of "fans" who, in late-March, are just now being Wow'd by Ja is hilarious.
I'm embarrassed by some of my Twitter follows.

We're incredibly lucky that they won the OVCT, bc his coach schedules like a chump.

((And don't hit me with that bs
Nobody Will Play Them))

The number of "fans" who, in late-March, are just now being Wow'd by Ja is hilarious.
I'm embarrassed by some of my Twitter follows.

We're incredibly lucky that they won the OVCT, bc his coach schedules like a chump.

((And don't hit me with that bs
Nobody Will Play Them))

Well said.

Reactions: KisteK
Zion is shooting like 7,000% from the field.
This is from December but I'm sure it still holds largely true. Dude is a freak but the vast majority of his shots are at the rim.

Dtmu9jAUwAATyuj

Here is the full season:

https://hoop-math.com/Duke2019.php

They played on the same high school team, how did EVERY coach that recruited Zion miss him?

That profile is hilarious.
Seriously. I understand some of the big boys not getting involved but there are plenty of smaller schools in the Carolinas that could have nabbed him.

I’m ashamed I didn’t get to see him in person. I kept telling myself that the ovc tourney was in Nashville but it was in Evansville

In what metric?

Much more efficient. Better defensively. Blake was awesome but what Zion is doing is unprecedented, as a freshman not sophomore.

In what metric?

Griffin was a better rebounder in college, I'll give him that. But Zion shoots 76% on his 2-pt attempts, whereas Blake at 66% (which is still really solid, of course). Also, Zion is a much better defender - 2 blocks/steals per game (leads the ACC in steals) and he's one of the 4 finalists for National Defensive POY.

Griffin was a better rebounder in college, I'll give him that. But Zion shoots 76% on his 2-pt attempts, whereas Blake at 66% (which is still really solid, of course). Also, Zion is a much better defender - 2 blocks/steals per game (leads the ACC in steals) and he's one of the 4 finalists for National Defensive POY.
I bet Blake averaged more than 2.0 fouls per game as well. But I think that was addressed with the......coaching

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
Much more efficient. Better defensively. Blake was awesome but what Zion is doing is unprecedented, as a freshman not sophomore.

Zion (2018/19 @ age 18) - 22.1 pts, 8.9 reb, 2.1 ast, 2.2 stl, 1.8 blk, 69% fg, 65% ft, 32% 3pt

Griffin (2008/09 @ age 19) - 22.7 pts, 14.4 reb, 2.1 ast, 1.1 stl, 1.0 blk, 66% fg, 59% ft, 38% 3pt

This isn’t meant to disparage Zion, but it’s valuable to consider when drafting him. I think Barrett and Morant will be better pros for sure. Zion can’t shoot and will have health problems. However, he could be the next face of the league which is more lucrative than actually winning.

I bet Blake averaged more than 2.0 fouls per game as well. But I think that was addressed with the......coaching

Zion swipes from time to time, yes. Probably could have been called for 5 more fouls against FSU. But he also gets fouled a lot without any whistle.

Zion (2018/19 @ age 18) - 22.1 pts, 8.9 reb, 2.1 ast, 2.2 stl, 1.8 blk, 69% fg, 65% ft, 32% 3pt

Griffin (2008/09 @ age 19) - 22.7 pts, 14.4 reb, 2.1 ast, 1.1 stl, 1.0 blk, 66% fg, 59% ft, 38% 3pt

This isn’t meant to disparage Zion, but it’s valuable to consider when drafting him. I think Barrett and Morant will be better pros for sure. Zion can’t shoot and will have health problems. However, he could be the next face of the league which is more lucrative than actually winning.

Rebounding is the only thing Griffin did better. And please don't put 38% on his 3-pt shooting when he only took 8 shots. Zion has an effective field goal% of 71.7%, whereas Griffin was 65.7%. And as previously mentioned, Zion was a much better defender.

The bigger story is that Ja and Zion are from South Carolina, yet they do not play for South Carolina.

Frank Martin should be fired.

Can you imagine a team with Ja Morant, Fletcher Magee, and Zion? I realize Magee isn't a SC native, but he's playing college basketball in the state of SC. That team could win a national title with just about any scrub playing the 3 and the 5.

Reactions: CB3UK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT