ADVERTISEMENT

Ja Morant

He is incredible. He is the best individual player for the college game that I think Auburn has seen all year and that includes the Duke guys. He is so incredibly quick on the dribble that is impossible for anyone to stay in front of him. He did not shoot the ball well from outside against us and that may limit his upside at the next level, but I will enjoy watching him whenever possible the rest of this year. Murray St has two other guys who dropped 19 and 21 against us and if they continue to play well, the Racers could run the table in the OVC and be a Cinderella team in March.

The kid is probably one the top 5 pgs in college basketball

what's the point of starting a thread about the guy if you're not going to go all in? top 5 PG in CBB? Probably? Seriously, that's as much as you're willing to give him?

C'mon, the guys a legit stud and easily a top 3 PG in the country. Morant, Carson Edwards and who else?

Reactions: DM8
what's the point of starting a thread about the guy if you're not going to go all in? top 5 PG in CBB? Probably? Seriously, that's as much as you're willing to give him?

C'mon, the guys a legit stud and easily a top 3 PG in the country. Morant, Carson Edwards and who else?
I would agree. He leads the country in assists per game and he's unguardable 1v1. His lack of outside shooting dings his draft stock, but for the college game, he's an incredible player.

I would agree. He leads the country in assists per game and he's unguardable 1v1. His lack of outside shooting dings his draft stock, but for the college game, he's an incredible player.
Unguardable?

It's awesome you scolded him for only having him top 5 then you list him top 3 lol

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
It's awesome you scolded him for only having him top 5 then you list him top 3 lol

Tough love over here lol. He also said he was probably a top 5 PG. I think the probably is what set me off. Guy is inarguably top 5 and maybe even inarguably top 2 along with Edwards.

Reactions: DM8
Unguardable?
1v1, yes. We had our best defender on him much of the time and the dude would just blow by him into the lane, spinning and doing all sorts of shit to get to the basket. He is one of the quickest guys I have ever seen off the dribble. Better than Collin Sexton in that regard, imo.

Maybe not the pro potential, but Howard at marq is havin a helluva season. Coming from a racer alum we have been so extremely blessed at the point guard position, just when I think one guy is the best to ever suit up for the racers, the next comes along. Cannon was a beast, Payne was amazing, now this guy might be the best of them all. Simply unbelievable we have landed that kind of talent at OVC Murray State.

Maybe not the pro potential, but Howard at marq is havin a helluva season. Coming from a racer alum we have been so extremely blessed at the point guard position, just when I think one guy is the best to ever suit up for the racers, the next comes along. Cannon was a beast, Payne was amazing, now this guy might be the best of them all. Simply unbelievable we have landed that kind of talent at OVC Murray State.
The Racers have always been the yin to Morehead’s yang. Kinda like Austin Peay and Middle Tennessee last century. Now that Middle is no longer in the OVC, things are different

Finally got to see Ja Morant play last night, as they took on Belmont. Unfortunately, he rolled his ankle within the first 2-3 minutes. But with 32 scouts on hand, I'm sure he felt the pressure to showcase his talents. He was hobbling a bit from time to time, so I don't think we saw his normal explosiveness. A little careless with the ball at times, but he sure can drop some nice dimes.

Nbadraft.net now has Morant as the #1 pick. Here are a couple of clips which highlight his athleticism and play-making ability:

Murray State did lose to Belmont, however. Sometimes I feel like the need to constantly give the ball to Morant kills the flow of the offense. Belmont has much better ball movement. Also, Nick Muszynski (Belmont) is a fun player to watch in the low post (just a freshmen). He's got a good footwork, a nice touch, and he's a solid passer. If I were a 12 seed in the NCAA Tournament, I would much rather face Murray State, personally. But part of that may be because I didn't see Moran't athleticism on full display.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yeah, after he rolled his ankle he didn't have any explosiveness. He could get to the basket (where he was pretty clever but couldn't quite finish) but just could not explode enough to be effective. Though break with all those scouts there.

Reactions: dukedevilz
well that sucked. Was all fired up to get a good look at this guy. Turned the game off as soon as he came back and had a noticeable limp.

ADVERTISEMENT