ADVERTISEMENT

IYO Who Would You Say Is the Best Active Coach In CBB?

It would be funny to bump old posts about Drew to see the posters who now polish his knob using him as a punchline three years ago. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
I must've missed those schools winning a national championship and becoming consistently elite under Self.

Also missed those schools being as far in the dumps as Baylor was when Drew took over.
He made the elite 8 with Tulsa. And took Otal Roberts to the tourney after they were a complete dumpster fire. Yes I do believe he would have turned them around.

Let's say we took All Americans. and every coach had the same team.
Izzo Calpari
Pitino Self
Am I missing HOF'ers

Reactions: kdavid45
He made the elite 8 with Tulsa. And took Otal Roberts to the tourney after they were a complete dumpster fire. Yes I do believe he would have turned them around.

It's not like Drew orchestrated a quick turnaround. Baylor averaged 9 wins/season his first four years and didn't have a winning record until year 5. And they were just a decent/middling program until almost two decades into his tenure.

There's literally no reason to think that Self couldn't have built Baylor into a consistently good program within 20 years.

Reactions: HawksJ
so in other words, he has done nothing nearly as impressive at what Drew did at Baylor in terms of ressurecting (sp) a dead program.

• Haha
Reactions: HawksJ
Nate Oats isn't there yet, but before too long he will be mentioned.
Bama has been mediocre at best for the almost 2 decades before Oats was hired.
He is slowly but surely changing the culture in and around the basketball program.

Nate Oats isn't there yet, but before too long he will be mentioned.
Bama has been mediocre at best for the almost 2 decades before Oats was hired.
He is slowly but surely changing the culture in and around the basketball program.
In your opinion would Calipari be the best active after UMASS run?

He had a FF.

so in other words, he has done nothing nearly as impressive at what Drew did at Baylor in terms of ressurecting (sp) a dead program.
By your logic nobody could have a chance unless they took over Baylor.

Baylor was still located in a recruiting hotbed. He was pulling in 4* players immediately. You close your eyes and spit down there and you’ll hit a top 150 recruit.

Reactions: HawksJ and JThommmm
Kenny Payne
200w.webp

Oral Roberts hadn't come close to a winning record in 5 years when Self was hired and he had them at 20+ wins within a few years.

Drew took over for a coach who had a winning record at Baylor and went .500 the year before. They didn't hit rock bottom until Drew was hired. He's not the first guy to have to overcome a scholarship reduction.

The hyperbole is funny, especially from people who probably barely acknowledged Drew's existence until a couple years ago.

Oral Roberts hadn't come close to a winning record in 5 years when Self was hired and he had them at 20+ wins within a few years.

Drew took over for a coach who had a winning record at Baylor and went .500 the year before. They didn't hit rock bottom until Drew was hired. He's not the first guy to have to overcome a scholarship reduction.

The hyperbole is funny, especially from people who probably barely acknowledged Drew's existence until a couple years ago.
Disagree respectfully- I believe you are underestimating the magnitude of what Drew took over - and the head coach tried covering it up !! They couldn’t even play non conference games his first season I believe. Self is still ranked ahead of Drew IMO, but Drew has the best rebuilding job ever in college bball IMO.

By your logic nobody could have a chance unless they took over Baylor.

Baylor was still located in a recruiting hotbed. He was pulling in 4* players immediately. You close your eyes and spit down there and you’ll hit a top 150 recruit.
you are correct, nobody has a chance of claiming they rebuilt a program better than Drew. It's impossible to claim otherwise given the objective evidence. Some coaches bring programs back from the "death" but he literally brought the program back from death.

Disagree respectfully- I believe you are underestimating the magnitude of what Drew took over - and the head coach tried covering it up !! They couldn’t even play non conference games his first season I believe. Self is still ranked ahead of Drew IMO, but Drew has the best rebuilding job ever in college bball IMO.

But it’s not like he performed an overnight miracle. They were awful the first four years.

Drew’s done a great job, but mostly in the last few years. I didn’t see anybody praising his coaching ability until they dropped the zone a few years ago in favor of the no middle D. That’s the move that earned him respect. Until that point, his teams rarely had the look of a well-coached team, and often underachieved a little based on their talent/athleticism. Good coaches tore that zone to shreds.

Winning a title at Baylor is impressive, but I don’t think it’s miraculous that he built a competitive program within two decades. Especially in a fertile recruiting area.

But it’s not like he performed an overnight miracle. They were awful the first four years.

Drew’s done a great job, but mostly in the last few years. I didn’t see anybody praising his coaching ability until they dropped the zone a few years ago in favor of the no middle D. That’s the move that earned him respect. Until that point, his teams rarely had the look of a well-coached team, and often underachieved a little based on their talent/athleticism. Good coaches tore that zone to shreds.

Winning a title at Baylor is impressive, but I don’t think it’s miraculous that he built a competitive program within two decades. Especially in a fertile recruiting area.
Fair- but remember, not only the nonconference games were not allowed first season, Baylor had placed itself on probation until 2005 and withdrawn from postseason play for the 2003–04 season .Plus, Baylor extended its self-imposed probation until 2006 and docked itself several scholarships and paid recruiting visits through 2006.
I don't think any coach would have had much success those first four years post Bliss.

Scott Drew has come full circle for me as a rival fan..

😂 Oversized suits on the sidelines
😂Bumbling games - bigly - late

Somewhere ~2010 I fell in love with Quincy Acey and then came Quincy Miller, then Rico Gathers.. and just a waterfall of fun players who've rolled through Baylor's program.

I'm not a fan of Baylor University, but I am a fan of Scott Drew.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
1. Bill Self
2. Rick Pitino
3. Scott Drew
4. Tom Izzo
5. Tony Bennett
6. Jim Boeheim
7. Mark Few
8. John Calipari
9. Bob Huggins
10. Kelvin Sampson

1. Bill Self
2. Rick Pitino
3. Scott Drew
4. Tom Izzo
5. Tony Bennett
6. Jim Boeheim
7. Mark Few
8. John Calipari
9. Bob Huggins
10. Kelvin Sampson
There is no way in HELL some of those guys are the best coaches at this time in their careers . What they did when they were in their prime has nothing to do with what is happening now. Boeheim, Calipari, Huggins ! LMAO . Even Izzo is a shadow of what he was . Who knows about Pitino. He’s in purgatory.

There is no way in HELL some of those guys are the best coaches at this time in their careers . What they did when they were in their prime has nothing to do with what is happening now. Boeheim, Calipari, Huggins ! LMAO . Even Izzo is a shadow of what he was . Who knows about Pitino. He’s in purgatory.

OP literally said choose your own criteria. Mine is simply for the best coaches that are active - and I'm taking their full resume into consideration.

OP literally said choose your own criteria. Mine is simply for the best coaches that are active - and I'm taking their full resume into consideration.
Well yeah , I guess if you want to look at it that way….. lol . My bad dude.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT